Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

It’s been a good window, we didn’t spend as much as we reportedly had to spend, but a good thing that we didn’t spend funds on lesser players. Only 12 games to January, we should be ok and hopefully Wesley will be back by then.

Its been a long time since I can honestly say I’m happy with the 11 players on the pitch, I wouldn’t swap our midfield, our front 3 and even the back four and GK. Yes we can have conversations over an upgrade to Trezeguet or Targett, but they are doing their jobs. Really exciting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Really really pleased with how the window has gone. The club have dobe a great job. 

Agree with that, I had expected one more wide forward and had wanted one more centre back, but I guess we went all out and used the rest of our budget to bring in Barkley instead, and I think that was a good decision. Bringing him in is a real game changer to me, it raises our status and potential massively, takes us from being regarded as a relegation team to an established team. Takes pressure of Jack as well.  

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Blimey, Palace signing Butland for an initial £1m........werent we quoted something in the region of 20m last season!?!?

At 1 million that is a good gamble to take

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Blimey, Palace signing Butland for an initial £1m........werent we quoted something in the region of 20m last season!?!?

That’s a great signing. If he tanks who cares for £1m - if he recaptures any form he’s a good backup at worst. Palace have done decent business.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 3

Yea I'm also very happy with the transfer window, probably the best I can remember. Was hoping for another late deal to put the icing on the cake but it certainly wasn't required. Kudos to everyone involved in the transfers.

I hope that there's still cash available for strengthening in January if any weaknesses become evident in the interim!

Promising start and looks good on paper. Let's wait until January or maybe the end of the season to pass judgement, our squad is still really light in some areas but that's to be expected.

Starting 11 looks a lot better than last season.

• Like 1

Incredible to think last summer many in here were adamant we should be spending £25 million on Jack Butland instead of £8 million on England international Tom Heaton.

Since then Butland has been woeful so much so he moved yesterday for £500k!

Bullet dodged!!!

Overall we had a very good window. Cash and Watkins looked like being overpriced at first glance, but having seen them play actually look like being great additions and have seemingly stepped up with ease. Barkley and Martinez were excellent signings. Traore is perhaps the only question mark (I would certainly have preferred Rashica) but has shown at Lyon he is very capable and has pace to burn. If we can get him back to the form of 1-2 seasons ago it will be a very good signing. 

I would have liked to see 1 more but I think we will have our eye on someone in January. I hope we can tie up Barkley permanently before the season ends. Retaining him and Luiz next summer will be huge going forward.

With Heaton and Wesley to come back we look like having a good squad. I would like to see us bring in better competition in defence at CB so that Konsa and Mings are well covered and sign a potential starting LB as long term I don't think Targett is enough. But generally now we can start looking to add 1 or 2 real quality players each season to try to push on rather than a hatful of signings. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Was listening to talkshite earlier going on about the best front 3 in the prem, guy says Son xxxxxx xxxxxx, fair enough he is class, other guy says you'd pick Son over Grealish? Reply was a gobsmacked stuttering silence, clown struggled to get his words and eventually says are you serious, other guy says its a fair question,  clown says something along the lines of I'm not saying Grealish is bad, he is doing well but there is no comparison with Son.

I wouldnt swap Jack for anyone, honestly, claret and blue glasses on or not, Jack is an outstanding player and certainly the best attacking MF 8, 10 or 11, whatever in the prem.

These pundits don't watch enough football and work from news outlet reports.

Clowns, 80 million my arse.

I love Jack and consider him one of the best players in the league, but Son is right there in the same conversation.  That said, wouldn't I trade Jack for any one of Sterling, KDB, Son, Kane, Bale, Mane, Salah, James, etc in this Villa team.  Jack means so much more to us than anyone else could be.  He IS Aston Villa.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I love Jack and consider him one of the best players in the league, but Son is right there in the same conversation.  That said, wouldn't I trade Jack for any one of Sterling, KDB, Son, Kane, Bale, Mane, Salah, James, etc in this Villa team.  Jack means so much more to us than anyone else could be.  He IS Aston Villa.  

On sky earlier, Merson saying basically Southgate is blind and Jack is head and shoulders the most talented English player, Lescott saying its personal, Sherwood repeating same, even Pulis agreeing.

Merson finished it off by saying you cannot win tournaments without that special X factor that most teams haven't got.

Right now, Jack, Salah and KDB look like the best in the league.

Southgate needs my shoe up his arse.

edit, quite right too Mr KMitch, Son is fantastic and very close to the above mentioned.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 2