Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I can't see it though with Nakamba in the squad, and espcially as Luiz seems to be really thriving there. I would actually prefer a more attacking midfielder. I would be happy with Swift at the right price if we are spending big in attack and GK.

Luiz played well during post lockdown, but for 38 games, I fear it might be too much, I also think his stature and ball control is served better further forward......Nakamba for me does not stop marauding attackers from getting at the centre backs, whether he will improve is a gamble.

I would like to see one with good positional sense, physically imposing like Viera and who could read the danger before it arrives and could also cut out aerial balls that steal territory.....We need a player to dominate and provide an engine for the team, that way, it will help us stay up.

I understand that folk think its not important.....I think its crucial.

I know a winger and striker is paramount, no disputing that.....but we proved after lockdown, denying the opposition got us over the line.....we didn't do that pre lockdown and it cost us.

Edited by TRO

59 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

What a ridiculous, pathetic and embarrassing thing to say. So we just dramatically improved defensively post lockdown magically. It was nothing to do with Smith using the time to improve himself as a coach and to improve our team and tactics? How are Lange and Purslow jokers? How exactly? Some people really want to be careful what they wish for. This is the best the club has been run for possibly 2 decades.

You're going to get a Brentford standard transfer fee amount of likes for that post.

6 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

£28m rising to £33m. Off the top of my head, in terms of attacking players, Kevin Volland, Aleksei Miranchuk, Oscar Rodriguez, Ferran Torres, Suso, Yannick Carrasco, Mario Pasalic, Everton Soares, James Rodriguez, Stefano Sensi have all in recent days gone for far less than Watkins, and all have way more pedigree/quality. I'm not suggesting we should/could have signed all of these players. I'm just demonstrating that we're massively over-paying for a player who has never played in a top division, or even got an underage cap to his name - let alone a senior cap!

Worrying about the rising to 33 point is irrelevant,  that will only happen if he performs well for us, in which case, he'll have been good value in the current day and age.

As for the players you mention they've either gone to Europa/champions league teams, are older and have no sell on value, or would cost an extortionate amount in wages.

Maybe there are a couple we could have tempted that wouldn't have cost the earth, but when you look at who they went to you know that's a pipe dream. 

We're shopping at the level we can arract, paying wages that are massively limited by ffp. You have to lower your expectations for this season and probably next or you'll be disappointed. 

Buying the best player in the championship, who is only 24, has ALL the attributes we are missing up front is not bad business. Paying maybe a few million over the odds due to the selling club not needing to sell, and the buying club needing to buy is what happens in a free market.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mole86 said:

Bruno Fernandes cost £47m with a further potential £20m in add ons, plus 10% of any resale fee. Quite far off from the reported £28m potentially rising to £33m we are buying Watkins for

Exactly - plus he would be on 4x what Watkins will be on plus we would never land a player like Fernandes in any case.

Wesley was £22m and I believe Watkins will be twice the player. Watkins has a similar (or better!) record in the EFL as Tammy and he would cost us £40-45m easy (If he would come to us!)

It’s not even about how much players cost, it’s also about who we can attract, and from time to time we will need to bite the bullet and pay up - hopefully as our reputation returns it will get easier to attract top players

Smith knows Watkins better than any of the many other forwards available out there so I’m content that he feels that £28m+ represents value

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Luiz played well during post lockdown, but for 38 games, I fear it might be too much, I also think his stature and ball control is served better further forward......Nakamba for me does not stop marauding attackers from getting at the centre backs, whether he will improve is a gamble.

I would like to see one with good positional sense, physically imposing like Viera and who could read the danger before it arrives and could also cut out aerial balls that steal territory.....We need a player to dominate and provide an engine for the team, that way, we will stay up.

I understand that folk think its not important.....I think its crucial.

I agree with you TRO. We could do with a big unit in midfield to shield the back four and allow Dougie further forward. I actually think he might even be able to play in the hole (cue the Carry on gifs) behind the striker. We could do that if Jack plays wide left. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

This thing of Watkins only scoring tap ins is a bit of a myth, he scored a lot of those last season, but have a look at all the goals he's scored at Brentford and before that with Exeter and you will see that he's scores a wide variety of goals, tap-ins, headers, from distance, cutting in from the wing, driving into the box with pace, and can use both feet. Besides we missed a lot of easy chances last season, there was a compilation of chances created by Targett alone the majority of which would have been put away by a striker who scores tap-ins.

those tap ins........you have to be there.

It demonstrates an ability to read the play.

Ps David Platt.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Worrying about the rising to 33 point is irrelevant,  that will only happen if he performs well for us, in which case, he'll have been good value in the current day and age.

As for the players you mention they've either gone to Europa/champions league teams, are older and have no sell on value, or would cost an extortionate amount in wages.

Maybe there are a couple we could have tempted that wouldn't have cost the earth, but when you look at who they went to you know that's a pipe dream. 

We're shopping at the level we can arract, paying wages that are massively limited by ffp. You have to lower your expectations for this season and probably next or you'll be disappointed. 

Buying the best player in the championship, who is only 24, has ALL the attributes we are missing up front is not bad business. Paying maybe a few million over the odds due to the selling club not needing to sell, and the buying club needing to buy is what happens in a free market.

As I said in my original post, I'm not saying we should've signed those players (though looking at Leeds' business I feel we could've nabbed one or two). My point is that they're all far better/more established players than Watkins, yet we're paying substantially more. That makes no sense from a business perspective

We also don't know what the add-ons are for, so I don't agree with your first point either! They could be appearance-related, and, costing was he does, he'll be playing ahead of Samatta and Davis no matter what, I'd imagine

• Like 1

I've been watching all kinds of YouTube videos about strikers we've been linked to this summer and the only other player Watkins immediately reminds me of is Tammy.  Scores the same kinds of goals, has pace, strength, and the desire to get on the end of a cross and get he ball into the net. He'll be coming to us full of confidence and I think that if we can sign a pacy winger to play on the right, we'll be able to hit teams on the break this year.  

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

I'd like Limpid to check out the IP addresses of the rake, paul514 and ricric!

I'd like you to PM the person rather than put it in the transfer thread for attention if you had a genuine concern.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I agree with you TRO. We could do with a big unit in midfield to shield the back four and allow Dougie further forward. I actually think he might even be able to play in the hole (cue the Carry on gifs) behind the striker. We could do that if Jack plays wide left. 

Wilmar Barrios (26) at Zenit

Mikel Merino  (24) at Real Sociedad

Both would be attainable wage structures and should cost around £25m... they are both units as well!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What it also does VR is allows the attackers to relax in their game and it has a knock on effect.

Barcelona had Busquests, one of the worlds best in his day.....he just soaked it all up and recycled it.....the front men knew, if they lost it , it would come back via Busquets

Vincent Del Bosque once said of Busquets.....when you watch Barcelona you don't notice him, but when you watch Busquets you see the whole game.

That sums up a great CDM for me......just a decent one would be an upgrade......I don't think Dougie as much as I like him, is a CDM.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

As I said in my original post, I'm not saying we should've signed those players (though looking at Leeds' business I feel we could've nabbed one or two). My point is that they're all far better/more established players than Watkins, yet we're paying substantially more. That makes no sense from a business perspective

We also don't know what the add-ons are for, so I don't agree with your first point either! They could be appearance-related, and, costing was he does, he'll be playing ahead of Samatta and Davis no matter what, I'd imagine

Careful now you will be told you are a troll soon for such opinions 🤔

• Like 1