Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Thanks. How will they deal with the 2 weeks quarantine since many of the players have been to countries that are not on the ‘ok’ list? Jack is in Greece I think 🤔 

I read somewhere that high-level athletes are in a way exempt as football clubs can afford to test them twice per day if necessary.

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I read somewhere that high-level athletes are in a way exempt as football clubs can afford to test them twice per day if necessary.

I don’t think that’s the case... might be wrong but I think the quarantine applies test or no test as it’s the period when symptoms can appear.

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Easy and obvious signings? Who are you thinking of?

Players in inferior leagues and unwanted by their club.

for the same budget as last summer at quoted prices you can have Eduoard, Buendia, Eze, Rashica, McCarthy, Aaron’s, Stones and Wiijhal (az)

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I wouldn't have thought so, there was sufficient warning in order for them to return before it was applicable certainly in an age where money is no object to them.

I suppose they could’ve just hopped on private jets as soon as the news broke. No queuing for the toilet on a ferry for them.

2 hours ago, rayk said:

Good post. Yesterday there was a similar comment about his mental health but that it might be related to racism he has experienced whilst living/playing in Spain. Now I’m not saying racism does exist here/in the Prem but I don’t think it’d be at a level that impacts his mental health.

As for him handling the physical side of the Premier League from what I’ve seen of him I really don’t think it’d be a problem.

He’d be a bit of a wildcard if he came, fee would mean low expectations and could end up being a great bit of business at £4m.

I don't think there's any doubts about his talent - but he's clearly not in a good place right now and needs time and support to get himself back on track. I don't think we're a good option for him right now - we need players who can hit the ground running and expectations will be high. I think it's too much pressure and would be a bad move for both parties.

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

for the same budget as last summer at quoted prices you can have Eduoard, Buendia, Eze, Rashica, McCarthy, Aaron’s, Stones and Wiijhal (az)

Sure - easy and obvious.  Unless other clubs also think they might be easy and obvious, or they don't want to come to the PL/Birmingham/Villa, or their wage demands are too high, or their agents want too big a fee, or they have an underlying injury, or they are on holiday, or they don't click with Dean, or any one of hundreds more reasons why it is not easy and obvious.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t think that’s the case... might be wrong but I think the quarantine applies test or no test as it’s the period when symptoms can appear.

I don't know, I was just sharing something I had read, I think when money is involved there are always ways around such trivial things as Quarantine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Everton have bid for Doucoure from Watford he is a player I'd like us to be looking at in this window.

Definitely a player like him would be good. I think he will be quite expensive for someone that will turn 28 on 1st Jan.

3 hours ago, rayk said:

Good post. Yesterday there was a similar comment about his mental health but that it might be related to racism he has experienced whilst living/playing in Spain. Now I’m not saying racism does exist here/in the Prem but I don’t think it’d be at a level that impacts his mental health.

As for him handling the physical side of the Premier League from what I’ve seen of him I really don’t think it’d be a problem.

He’d be a bit of a wildcard if he came, fee would mean low expectations and could end up being a great bit of business at £4m.

Have just heard a rumor, and it’s only a rumor, that he might be on his way to us as a replacement for the outgoing Benrahma, Thomas Frank might be able to sort out his fellow Dane with the “issues” he is allegedly going through, our very strong  links with FC Midtjylland could be a factor in all of this, on the other hand if it’s come from a “source” it’s probably rubbish like most of them are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Most or all of those players are far from unwanted, some from good leagues and none that we can pick up as though we’re in Tesco’s. 

16 hours ago, 7392craig said:

By your logic, ‘proper’ players won’t want to sign for us unless the current players we do have, or ones who we sign who are only as good as them get us further up the table. These marquee signings will then want to play for us? There’s no logic behind your argument. There are many reasons why a footballer would wish to join us, money being a big one, players normally out of your range can be persuaded with higher wages. As well as that, we are a premier league club, nobody can say we’re going to be in another dogfight as non of us know so we’re still an exciting prospect in that regard. Also, players have kids, wives, mates at other clubs they might want to be local to. There’s a hundred different things that could persuade a player to move clubs. Personally I feel we have many in our favour. Don’t panic, once the first few transfers start going through you’ll see more activity at our level. I’m sure we’re chasing our targets, I’m just sure that we won’t know anything about it until it’s more or less done.

You should re-read your first sentence and then your third sentence. 

I thought the logic was quite simple, but perhaps I should spell it out to you in more basic terms: we need to sign significantly better players but will struggle to attract ones that will make a real difference because we are rightfully viewed as a team that is relatively new to the league and only just about stayed up last season - i.e. we are a risk. However, should we pull of one marquee signing, as I eluded to, then we will be viewed of less of a risk and be a more compelling proposition. That is why it is more rational to expect us to sign players that are an improvement, but only an incremental one. What don’t you get about that logic? 

Your argument about simply being able to offer higher wages is ridiculous as every other club in the league, apart from the promoted three, could comfortably match us and would be willing to do so if the right player came along. How do you deduce that we are an ‘exciting prospect’ based on nobody being able to say for sure that we won’t be in a dogfight? How does uncertainty make us an exciting prospect? If anything, it makes us a more risky prospect. 

I think it is fans like you that make us so despised by so many other fans. You have a completely distorted and misplaced view of how good we are. Look at the facts instead. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa

Just now, Pimlico_Villa said:

You should re-read your first sentence and then your third sentence. 

I thought the logic was quite simple, but perhaps I should spell it out to you in more basic terms: we need to sign significantly better players but will struggle to attract ones that will make a real difference because we are rightfully viewed as a team that is relatively new to the league and only just about stayed up last season - i.e. we are a risk. However, should we pull of one marquee signing, as I eluded to, then we will be viewed of less of a risk and be a more compelling proposition. Hence, that is why it is more rational to expect us to sign players that are an improvement, but only an incremental one. What don’t you get about that logic? 

Your argument about simply being able to offer higher wages is ridiculous as every other club in the league, apart from the promoted three, could comfortably match us and would be willing to do so if the right player came along. How do you deduce that we are an ‘exciting prospect’ based on nobody being able to say for sure that new won’t be in a dogfight? How does uncertainty make us an exciting prospect? 

I think it is fans like you that make us so despised by so many other fans. You have a completely distorted and misplaced view of how good we are. Look at the facts instead. 

Fans like me? I’m very much aware that we’re not going to attract the best players, I know where we finished in the table. If you’re trying to argue that offering higher wages wouldn’t help get players in, then I don’t see any point in debating this with you. I don’t claim we’re Real Madrid, but I’m sticking by my claim that  we are an attractive club. If you want to believe otherwise, that’s fine. I don’t see why you’re so offended by my post, or why you need to be so aggressive about it, people are entitled to disagree with you.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Ah, hadn’t appreciated that Greece had the quarantine exemption. Let’s hope that doesn’t change. I bet a few (not just our players) will have been caught out by the France change in rules.

As long as the PM's father is there then Greece will always have the quarantine exception.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I'm surprised we've not been linked with Ben Foster, could do and have done a lot worse.

I was going to mention him yesterday. If you want a Reina type short term fix to cover while Heaton recovers Foster seems obvious. Was one of Watford's better players last season and lives by Leamington Spa so 12 month deal would tempt him I reckon.