Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Wouldnt matter if we had 8 keepers on the books, if they are not good enough we are putting ourselves in real danger not getting a good one in!

Even when Heaton gets back he will always be liable to another injury...then what? 

Its basics getting that position sorted!

Yeah sure, but we can register 25 senior players for the PL, having 8 or even 5 of those slots taken up by keepers creates some issues for the rest of the squad build.

As I said, if we can ship our 2 or 3 of them and also have a big sum of money reserved for the rest of our needs then fine, sign another keeper. But £18m-20m for Ramsdale is a huge amount.

19 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Heaton is the only one good enough, and he is injury prone and getting old; Its probably the area most in need of addressing!

33 isn't old for a goalkeeper.

granted his injuries are a concern though, not sure i would be confident that heaton wouldn't pick up another injury at some point in the season, and I don't think any of our current GK are good enough in an ideal world.

So on balance I would either loan or buy another gk to challenge heaton for the no1 spot (and get rid of nyland and kalinic)

20m is way overpriced for Ramsdale. He is very average on crosses as he showed in the away game when he missed the cross and punched Engels instead. His conditioning dosen't look very good to me either.

Surprised we're not going back in for Neil Etheridge if we want someone to cover a few more months. Apparently wanted him last summer and he showed last two years at Cardiff he's a good keeper although he lost his place this year due to his own injury, would be available for about 5m I reckon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Signings generally aren't made in the order of priority. The club will be working on several deals at once. Sometimes a lesser priority signing gets completed first. It doesn't mean other deals aren't being worked on.

Also, we have 4 senior keeper, two of which will be leaving and 2 have been injured for most of 2020.

I expect they are, will be a fun window if £18m-20m is spent on lesser priorities.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah sure, but we can register 25 senior players for the PL, having 8 or even 5 of those slots taken up by keepers creates some issues for the rest of the squad build.

As I said, if we can ship our 2 or 3 of them and also have a big sum of money reserved for the rest of our needs then fine, sign another keeper. But £18m-20m for Ramsdale is a huge amount.

I think we are on the same page here.

I think we will be looking to get the other keepers out but that only happens when interest is there.

• Like 1

With these issues it feels a bit strange we just let Sarkic go without much fight as he'd have a real shot of starting the season if he stayed and we've seen before young keepers get given chances and do really well.

He must've been really hacked off we recalled him from loan in January.

• Like 3

Just looking at a few other teams, Palace signed Vicente Guiata on a free from Getafe two years ago and he's been very consistant for them. Newcastle also signed Dubravka for about 3m and again he's done very well. Both better than Ramsdale.

There's loads of good keepers in europe available for loan or small fees.

We can get some good players from relegated teams but trying to improve every position in the team just by signing from those clubs or Brentford isn't going to improve us much in the long run.

I'd look at someone like Geronimo Rulli. Was number one at Real Sociedad for 3 years then fell out of favour and went to Montpellier last year on season loan and did well there but now back at La Real and available on loan again.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

With these issues it feels a bit strange we just let Sarkic go without much fight as he'd have a real shot of starting the season if he stayed and we've seen before young keepers get given chances and do really well.

He must've been really hacked off we recalled him from loan in January.

i suspect this is why there was no fight to be had. i said at the time that we'd regret that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Don't know what happened with the double quote but: 

Bit in bold. You keep saying this to people. Firstly, it's very patronising. Secondly, Do you think everyone is having a hard time understanding your point or do you think your point is so bizarre that it makes it difficult to understand?

The one common denominator in people struggling to understand is the point you are trying to make....

Think it's the first time I said it, and it's not the best way to convey anything, I agree. But when people try to make a point using strawmen, putting words into your mouth, portray things have been said which hasn't been said, accuse you of being rigid cause they can't accept someone holding a different opinion than themselves, then it will affect the response that's given. 

If you don't want a condescending reply it's smart to avoid starting the debate the way you did. You reap what you sow so to speak. 

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just looking at a few other teams, Palace signed Vicente Guiata on a free from Getafe two years ago and he's been very consistant for them. Newcastle also signed Dubravka for about 3m and again he's done very well. Both better than Ramsdale.

We can get some good players from relegated teams but trying to improve every position in the team just by signing from those clubs or Brentford isn't going to improve us much in the long run.

I'd look at someone like Geronimo Rulli. Was number one at Real Sociedad for 3 years then fell out of favour and went to Montpellier last year on season loan and did well there but now back at La Real and available on loan again.

Very sensible.

£20m on a guy who will be sat on the bench if Heaton comes back doesn't make sense.

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There's loads of good keepers in europe available for loan or small fees..

Goalkeepers aren't really a position I follow very closely, but don't the English leagues require a bit more box work from a goalkeeper than you see in the continent? My impression is that a lot of keepers coming in from other leagues struggle with that. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

But our squad also contains Heaton, Steer & Kalinic along with Nyland. I really hope we'll be able to sell at least of those if we aim to bring in another keeper. And if we are to spend that much money on a keeper I really hope we have those £100m or whater on top of that money because £80m is not going to be enough to fix the rest of our issues unless we strike gold with every single signing.

Why would you think we have a budget. These owners are very different to the owners we have had in the past. They will make available whatever funds they think are required to take us forward.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why would you think we have a budget. These owners are very different to the owners we have had in the past. They will make available whatever funds they think are required to take us forward.

FFP only allows us to spend a certain amount, which is why we spent so little in January.

Don't get me wrong, I think we'll spend over £100m, as our owners are ambitious. That said, we can't just shell out as much as we like

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

TalkSPORT said we enquired about Ramsdale but have since distanced ourselves from a deal - still expected to go to Sheffield United. 

Welcome Ramsdale!

• Haha 4

If he really is available cut price then Butland for me is the one. Been very  impressed with Cutler to date and can see him restoring his confidence which made him such a good keeper a few seasons back ...

Edited by thabucks

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Agree - I think Rulli could be a good shout in principle. The only concern is his ability from crosses. I haven't watched him enough to judge but he is quite highly rated overall and is available. 

49 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Goalkeepers aren't really a position I follow very closely, but don't the English leagues require a bit more box work from a goalkeeper than you see in the continent? My impression is that a lot of keepers coming in from other leagues struggle with that. 

Yes good point. Can find out keepers a bit from Spain where the average amount of crosses during a game is far lower than in prem, Kepa has really struggled with that at Chelsea.