Villan4Life

Does this not prove curruption in football. Most of the betting was done in lower leagues, apparently betting on what would happen in certain football matches. This side of it, has been swept under the carpet by the FA.

On another note, the sports psychiatrist on Talksport this morning using words like "poor footballer",  "FA should be charged for treating him harshly". "Should be thinking of the player and be more sympathetic to what may have been a gambling addiction". 

Toney new what he was doing, he broke the rules that's it!!!

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

Anyone know if toney is injured?

Yes didnt play last Sunday due to injury picked up in Liverpool game previous weekend.Was not expected to play in any of the 2 remaining games due to this and now obviously won’t.

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Does this not prove curruption in football. Most of the betting was done in lower leagues, apparently betting on what would happen in certain football matches. This side of it, has been swept under the carpet by the FA.

On another note, the sports psychiatrist on Talksport this morning using words like "poor footballer",  "FA should be charged for treating him harshly". "Should be thinking of the player and be more sympathetic to what may have been a gambling addiction". 

Toney new what he was doing, he broke the rules that's it!!!

My only gripe with it is that the PL have an official gambling partner... There's an element of hypocrisy about it that I don't like but the answer to that is that the PL don't have a gambling partner

Interestingly (maybe not) the NFL have just had gambling suspensions too, players are not allowed to bet on other NFL games but they can for example bet on college football, they also are not allowed to do any kind of gambling while at the team facility, so no online betting, cards, dice anything like that, so in theory the Michael Owen card games etc would all be banned in the NFL, I like that idea too

I don't mind Toney betting on league 1 games, betting on Brentford absolutely not, lifetime ban stuff for me, betting on the PL should get this kind of 8 month ban but him pulling a weeks wages out at the training ground and betting on playing pool or cards with team mates should also be banned

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My only gripe with it is that the PL have an official gambling partner... There's an element of hypocrisy about it that I don't like but the answer to that is that the PL don't have a gambling partner

Interestingly (maybe not) the NFL have just had gambling suspensions too, players are not allowed to bet on other NFL games but they can for example bet on college football, they also are not allowed to do any kind of gambling while at the team facility, so no online betting, cards, dice anything like that, so in theory the Michael Owen card games etc would all be banned in the NFL, I like that idea too

I don't mind Toney betting on league 1 games, betting on Brentford absolutely not, lifetime ban stuff for me, betting on the PL should get this kind of 8 month ban but him pulling a weeks wages out at the training ground and betting on playing pool or cards with team mates should also be banned

It's absurd. The Premier League and Sky have been huge facilitators of the gambling culture in this country.

• Like 2

On 17/05/2023 at 17:05, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Doesn't seem too harsh a penalty, given the number of charges, although it isn't exactly clear exactly what he's guilty of. Compare it with Sheffield Wednesday's Peter Swan and Tony Kay, who were asked to throw a game in 1962, by their teammate David Layne. In 1964 these three players were named in a newspaper story in which Jimmy Gauld, admitted that he had approached these players on behalf of a betting syndicate back in 62. These three players received 4 month prison sentences and life bans from football in early 1965. Swan and Layne successfully appealed against their bans and returned to Sheffield Wednesday in 1972. Tony Kay's ban was lifted in, but he never played professional football again. I wonder what Toney might have got back then and Kay was also a current England international by the way. 

Edited by John

Just seen a betting advert which would have been a perfect paddy power one.

Cup.of tea with someone putting spoons of sugar in

1) sweet

2) sickly 

3) unhealthy

And mine

4) Toney

Bit of a breakdown of the BBC

The FA has published a detailed explanation of the 232 betting rule breaches committed by Brentford striker Ivan Toney, leading to an eight-month ban.

Here is a breakdown:

Of the 232 bets, 126 were on matches in a competition the team Toney was playing for at the time were eligible in during that season.

29 of those bets involved a club Toney was representing.

Toney bet on his own team to win 16 times in 15 different matches of which he played 11.

Toney also made 13 bets on his own team to lose seven matches between 22 August 2017 and 3 March 2018. He didn’t play in these matches.

Of the 13 bets, 11 were against Newcastle while he was on loan at another club. The others were on a game between Wigan, who he was playing for at the time, and Aston Villa.

15 bets were on Toney to score in nine different games in which he played. All were initiated at a time when it would not be public knowledge whether he was playing or not.

Six bets on matches not involving Toney.

Wow, so Toney bet on his own team when on loan or not in the match squads to lose between August 2017 and March 2018, including when we played Wigan. I hope he can get some some help for gambling problems. 

It was reported that the FA wanted to give him a 15 month ban because of the offences and that he lied and attempted to conceal his betting. It was then set at 11 months, then reduced to 8 after psychiatry expert said he was a gambling addict.

He has stopped gambling on football but still gambles on other sports.

Brentford striker Ivan Toney was given a reduced ban from football because of a diagnosed gambling addiction.

Toney, 27, was banned for eight months for breaking Football Association betting rules - including betting against his own team.

A psychiatry expert who gave evidence to the FA's regulatory commission diagnosed Toney with a gambling addiction and concluded he needed help.

link

Certainly seems like someone with a problem. Hopefully he realises before it’s too late.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Bit of a breakdown of the BBC

The FA has published a detailed explanation of the 232 betting rule breaches committed by Brentford striker Ivan Toney, leading to an eight-month ban.

Here is a breakdown:

Of the 232 bets, 126 were on matches in a competition the team Toney was playing for at the time were eligible in during that season.

29 of those bets involved a club Toney was representing.

Toney bet on his own team to win 16 times in 15 different matches of which he played 11.

Toney also made 13 bets on his own team to lose seven matches between 22 August 2017 and 3 March 2018. He didn’t play in these matches.

Of the 13 bets, 11 were against Newcastle while he was on loan at another club. The others were on a game between Wigan, who he was playing for at the time, and Aston Villa.

15 bets were on Toney to score in nine different games in which he played. All were initiated at a time when it would not be public knowledge whether he was playing or not.

Six bets on matches not involving Toney.

Certainly puts things into perspective. Ethically I don't have a problem with betting on matches he is not directly involved in, or has insider information on, but that clearly wasn't the case here. 

The counterpoint is that given the number of bets placed, and that a large proportion were on other teams, he wasn't in it solely to cheat the system and use his insider knowledge to profit. He also seems to have a problem with gambling. 

I guess it's hard to prove motive, and you have to take a hard line on things, but betting on himself aside I'm much more worried about the abuse of influence/kickbacks used by FIFA when awarding world cups, which in my opinion is ethically similar and will never be appropriately punished. In that regard Toney is an easy target. 

I am disappointed by this issue because it sounds rather tragic, and honestly I really rate Toney as a footballer. It's a shame we won't see him in the PL for a while.  

• Like 1

So he was betting on his own team to lose (whether the belief he was match fixing or not is pretty much irrelevant) and he was lying to the FA.

I'm sure the guy is just thick as dog shit judging by some videos we've all seen in his private life, and not actively fixing results....but how the **** has he not been banned for a season at least? 2 seasons would have not been beyond the realms of reasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

So he was betting on his own team to lose (whether the belief he was match fixing or not is pretty much irrelevant) and he was lying to the FA.

I'm sure the guy is just thick as dog shit judging by some videos we've all seen in his private life, and not actively fixing results....but how the **** has he not been banned for a season at least? 2 seasons would have not been beyond the realms of reasonable.

Uncle Gareth intervened no doubt. 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

So he was betting on his own team to lose

He only bet on his own team to lose when he wasn’t playing………….the arrogance of the kid, his teammates must be well chuffed reading that 🤣

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was reported that the FA wanted to give him a 15 month ban because of the offences and that he lied and attempted to conceal his betting. It was then set at 11 months, then reduced to 8 after psychiatry expert said he was a gambling addict.

He has stopped gambling on football but still gambles on other sports.

link

Certainly seems like someone with a problem. Hopefully he realises before it’s too late.

A couple of hundred bets over the period isn't really a gambling addiction.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â