Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Djokovic out knackered now too.  Hopefully Federer's to win now.

Well the gods are with him but Wimbledon organisers did Djokovic no favours. Cilic is the only one left that could beat him

Fuming I didn't take the 8/1 for Cilic to make the final. He was 16/1 aswell to win it outright.

He can push Federer if they meet in final as seems likely. Two sets up in the quarters last year and had 3 match points in the fourth set but couldn't find the KO shot. Federer is playing miles better than 12 months ago though.

I too think Murray should take the rest of the year off. Yes he'll drop down the rankings but I think he has to weigh things up. Does he want to play another draining year and be finished at 31 as a top level player or take time off and prolong things to 34-35 as many players can now.

He plays a counter punch game so that's going to be an issue into his 30s as he loses a bit of speed around court and dosen't have the serve to negate that like Fed has.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fuming I didn't take the 8/1 for Cilic to make the final. He was 16/1 aswell to win it outright.

He can push Federer if they meet in final as seems likely. Two sets up in the quarters last year and had 3 match points in the fourth set but couldn't find the KO shot. Federer is playing miles better than 12 months ago though.

I too think Murray should take the rest of the year off. Yes he'll drop down the rankings but I think he has to weigh things up. Does he want to play another draining year and be finished at 31 as a top level player or take time off and prolong things to 34-35 as many players can now.

He plays a counter punch game so that's going to be an issue into his 30s as he loses a bit of speed around court and dosen't have the serve to negate that like Fed has.

Wish I had stuck more than a tenner on Berdych to beat Djokovic at 3.4 after I watched the first few games and saw Djokovic was injured. Cilic beat him in the Us Open semi a few years ago but this is grass and Federer is playing great. 1.39 Seems generous on him to win it now.

I see the lady you predicted to win it is now the favourite.. Maybe because of an easier semi on paper. 

Yes Williams taking the time away from her. Looks like its going to be golden oldies Wimbledon. 72 the combined age of the probable wimbledon winners.  I know the Spanish girl is good but Venus looks like she on a mission this year. 

Easy in the end. Saw the last two Williams games. Although Ostapenko started really poorly she won most of the rallies againt Williams but her serve was a liability. In this match Williams won nearly all the long rallies. Two poor semi finals by the losers

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Easy in the end. Saw the last two Williams games. Although Ostapenko started really poorly she won most of the rallies againt Williams but her serve was a liability. In this match Williams won nearly all the long rallies. Two poor semi finals by the losers

I thought the decisive point was at 4-4 in the first set with Konta on break point, second serve, and Williams twatted it down at full pelt, 106mph I think it was.  It took balls but she pulled it off and from then on dominated.  Bugger me she hits it hard, I've never really watched her through a whole match before.

Please Muguruza save Tennis.

I think today was just a case of the player with the bigger match experience at this stage of the tournament just keeping it together and stepping it up when it mattered.

Either of the Williams Sisters on centre court are very difficult to beat, better to get them early when they might be a bit rusty on grass.

must admit I cant stand watching either of the Williams sisters. It just seems like destiny though. The other sister not playing, the car accident which resulted in the death of a man, Federer as well. Haven't seen much of Muguraza to be honest. I know she won the French Open and got to the final of Wimbledon before but not a player I have taken much notice of as yet. 

Muguruza's dismantling of Ribenacola yesterday gives me false hope that she'll beat Venus. Whilst her opponent didn't really turn up she played all the right winning shots and showed class.

And she's gorgeous. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

must admit I cant stand watching either of the Williams sisters. It just seems like destiny though. The other sister not playing, the car accident which resulted in the death of a man, Federer as well. Haven't seen much of Muguraza to be honest. I know she won the French Open and got to the final of Wimbledon before but not a player I have taken much notice of as yet. 

Why? I must admit, women's tennis is largely a bag of shit and not very entertaining for me, but the Williams sisters, especially Serena, make it more entertaining because of their power and ability to smash winners. Their points are probably a lot shorter than the average and that's only a good thing. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â