Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Sharapova has been given a wildcard to the Aegon classic at edgbaston next month.

3 years ago you could get tickets to this for £10 and were lucky to see 1 or 2 players ranked in the top 50. This year 8 of the current top 10 are playing & now sharapova too. Going to be packed there this year.

Tuesday & Wednesday are usually the best days to see most action & the better players if you're thinking of taking a look.

Edited by LakotaDakota

Interested for a non Australian opinion of Nick Kyrios? As an Australian I'm constantly torn between absolutely loving him and thinking he's the biggest tosser in tennis. Well 2nd biggest as Bernard Tomic has that award wrapped up, probably the only one he'll get to with his attitude. We know how to breed them in oz. 

4 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Interested for a non Australian opinion of Nick Kyrios? As an Australian I'm constantly torn between absolutely loving him and thinking he's the biggest tosser in tennis. Well 2nd biggest as Bernard Tomic has that award wrapped up, probably the only one he'll get to with his attitude. We know how to breed them in oz. 

He's a bit of a tit. 

Clearly a gifted player but doesn't have the right mentality to fully realise his potential.

He has a self destruct ethos if he's not feeling up for a match or things aren't going his way and will either give up during a game or do\say something outlandish that overshadows the whole match.

Personally I don't like him. The closest personality wise (as in a sense of blowing up) in tennis would have been McEnroe in his early years but kyrios is nowhere near his levels and McEnroe's antics were born of frustration as he wanted to win every point. I don't get that impression though with kyrios.

• Like 1

No it doesn't, it coincides with him achieving his life goal of winning all four majors. Zverev was exceptional, never gave Djokovic time to settle. He could be the next tennis superstar. 

yeah him and Thiem are going to be slam winners in the future - maybe in a few weeks even!

Really hope Murray can sort himself out properly. Would like to see him at least get the Australian open. Still, if he is "past it" rather than just in a slump, it's been a superb run. 

Hes had shingles hasn't he? I still think Murray and Djokovic have another slam or two in them. These youngsters might win the odd atp event but over 5 sets in a  longer tournament have they the staying power. Zverev I think will be a multi slam winner in the future but doubt whether him or Thiem will win the French. Think that will be either Nadal or Djokovic. Wimbledon maybe Federer has one last one in him.

Edited by PaulC

19 hours ago, PaulC said:

Zverev looks one heck of a prospect. Agassi to be announced as new Djokovic coach next week.

What happened to Theim the other day? ;)

Nadal will walk the French open. Can see Wimbledon being very open tournament though. 

In the case of Thiem Djokovic played his best game of the year. He was about two yards closer to the baseline than Nadal and returned brilliantly. Zverev was hitting his backhand 15mph faster than Djokovic. Reckon he already has the best two handed backhand in the game. 

Nadal should win but no certainty. Thiem showed the way to beat him but he does have more room behind the baseline to defend than in Rome. Djokovoc is improving but whether he can beat Nadal at RG this year  not sure. 

Edited by PaulC

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 22:57, AVFCDAN said:

Thiem is good but clay is definitely his best surface, think he would struggle to win slams on any other surface.

will be interesting in 5 years time because it's hard to see anyone displacing djokovic or Murray until they both retire.

Thiem smashes Djokovic and into the semis at Roland Garros.

Murray - Wawrinka

Nadal - Thiem

two cracking semi finals. Rafa  v Thiem in particular looks really good, would make the winner of that one the favourite. Murray though at least has recovered some form this week - the best of 5 helps him to mask slow starts though. Hope he starts quicker after this. Still, good to see him back. I think it has helped him going in with such low expectations to be honest. 

I know he beat Stan in the semi here last week, but i think this year he really will need to be on it to make it. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Can't see past Nadal still.

I think best final would be him and Wawrinka as Stan is amazing in slam finals, I worry if Murray lost the first set he'd fold very easily and it wouldn't be much of a spectacle.

Looking forward to Wimbledon though, got the feeling there might be a shock winner in that.

Neither can I Chris but I think its in Thiems racket to beat him. He has the power on both sides to blast Nadal off court. So he has to bring his a game like he did in ROME. 

Wimbledon Murray or Federer or maybe on of the young guns. Cant see Djokovoc winning it. He has lost that battling quality he once had. 

Edited by PaulC

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â