Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Poorest Wimbledon i've seen in a long time

Well yes we didn't get a great final but we had a few 5 set matches along the way. You want the best two players in the final really. Credit to Murray. His constincency this year has been fantastic. Two slam finals and one slam win. 

• 1 month later...

Great effort Dan! Played well. I think Konta has a great chance of repeating her Aussie semi here and whilst Kyle is a massive underdog against Djokovic I'm intrigued to see how he gets on, he's played very well and Novak isnt match sharp really.

Pretty dreadful from Murray really , it's performances  like that that stop him being one of the greatest players of all time , this was a grand slam he should have won even with Novak seemingly being the luckiest player in America at the moment 

letting a noise get inside his head , if I was Lendal I'd be handing in my notice in the morning ....though to be fair Murray also looked fairly knackered and Nishikori stepped up

Yes but that is doing Nishikori a disservice. i thought he was the more positive player after the rain break. I think Djokovic was always the favourite to win this tournament. Murray hasn't beaten him him a slam since 2013. Murray won Wimbledon and the Olympics but hasn't actually  had to beat Djokovic. So I don't get this Murray should have won this tournament to be honest. 

Edited by PaulC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well done that man indeed - won the world tour finals to boot as well. 24 wins in a row, 5 tournaments in a row crowned by beating his nemesis in the season ender tonight. Astonishing - he's had an exhausting week, beating all the other slam winners on tour atm ( cilic and wawrinka ) and nishikori and an inspired raonic yesterday by a knife edge. 

SPOTY without a doubt, what a year. Now, without wishing to be too greedy, hopefully the Aussie and French next year!

Class performance. ( I will say Novak did look remarkably out of it at times though ) 

• Like 1

Today and this  tournament as a whole was absolutely massive. I know that the number 1 ranking is a culmination of a whole seasons work, but if Novak smashed Murray today I think there would have been a few knockers from some quarters. 

He had a much harder draw than Novak, and after Warinka (sp) I honestly thought the tank was empty. to then beat Novak in the final leaves very little doubt, Murray is currently the best player in the world.

Well done Sir.   

needs to crack on and win a few more slams though   , I still think arguably he's one of the best players of all time , but 3 Slams isn't enough to cement that  , even  Wawrinka has 3 Slams and he's about 300 miles off being as good as Murray

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

needs to crack on and win a few more slams though   , I still think arguably he's one of the best players of all time , but 3 Slams isn't enough to cement that  , even  Wawrinka has 3 Slams and he's about 300 miles off being as good as Murray

Be nice if he could win the Australian and the French next year to complete the set.

I think he will win a few more. Australian definitely ( surely!? ) and another couple of Wimbledons. French is still possible, but US might be tough, last couple of years, it's come at a point when he's been exhausted for various reasons and needed a break. Next year is a key year though, he'll be 30 midway through it, and, Federer was 31 when he won his last slam, so not long left. 

Federer had Nadal, Murray and Djokovic chasing him though.  I'm not sure Murray has that kind of competition at the minute.  Nadal is a spent force, Federer is an old man and nobody else seems to be coming through, certainly not at the level those four have been at for the past decade or so. I'd not be surprised to see Murray end up on five or six slams before he hangs his racquet up. 

9 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I'd not be surprised to see Murray end up on five or six slams before he hangs his racquet up. 

I agree. I think Murray has the sort of determined personality that will really thrive from being number 1, and could even take his game up another notch or 2. 

Murray and Djokovic are so far ahead of the rest atm i think its pretty unlikely that Murray won't pick up another couple of slams. 

Another reason why i think Murray will win a few more is that i think he now knows and believes that he can beat Novak on a regular basis. 

I know Andy has beat Novak in couple of finals now, but go back 18 months or so and i always got the impression that he didn't really believe he could beat him, almost like he'd lost the match before the first ser

Edited by av1

Murray does need a few more slams to be classed as an all time great. Edberg and Becker had 6, Wilander and Lendl had 7 (i think) so Murray needs to get to that level.

He has had tougher competition though as Federer, Nadal and Novak are 3 of the best of all time

• 2 weeks later...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â