Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Mmm it's not like this is even Nole's golden era...in 2011 season he won 3 slams and only lost something ridiculous like 3 matches all year.

We will never see the like again of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal imo. Yes great players will emerge in the future but they'll do well to get to even Murray's level of consistency as only 9 other players have reached 10 slam finals and 3 of them are currently playing.

The standard at the top of Tennis for last 10 years has been breathtaking. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Mmm it's not like this is even Nole's golden era...in 2011 season he won 3 slams and only lost something ridiculous like 3 matches all year.

We will never see the like again of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal imo. Yes great players will emerge in the future but they'll do well to get to even Murray's level of consistency as only 9 other players have reached 10 slam finals and 3 of them are currently playing.

The standard at the top of Tennis for last 10 years has been breathtaking. 

Yes its been the best era ever of mens tennis. Djokovic has just turned 29 and is super fit and has amazing flexibility so should be able to carry on at the top level for a few years yet, He has improved his game since 2011. His forehand is better now, he has more variety in his game and is better at the net. Yes his one average shot is his overhead but he doesnt miss many, just plays it safe. I think out the young guns, Thiem is the one that looks like he could be a serious threat to Djokovic equalling or going past Federer. The rest have got a long way to go. Murray without doubt is a clear second now. 

Edited by PaulC

Think Alex Zverev is the one to watch...only 19 but had some impressive wins this year and reached 4th round....Thiem is decent but woeful on break points...

Suppose Kyrigos will have a say in the future aswell if he ever stops behaving like a  brat...pulled out of the Olympics now.

Haven't seen much of Zverev but Kyrigos, yes hes talented but like you say he has a terrible attitude problem. To put into context ages. Nadal just 19 when winning his first slam, Djokovic 20 and Federer 21. 

Thiem is good but clay is definitely his best surface, think he would struggle to win slams on any other surface.

will be interesting in 5 years time because it's hard to see anyone displacing djokovic or Murray until they both retire.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Thiem has the power and speed to win on any surface I think but we've seen it all before with the likes of Dimitrov who he reminds me of. 

Its the backhand that will hamper him I feel. He needs the extra time to wind it up that he gets from the clay and won't get that on the faster surfaces.

Only Federer (and to a lesser extent Stan) has really made that single hander work, would be interested to know the top 10 of the last 10 years and how many of them had a single handed backhand, can't be many.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Wawrinka has won two slams with it so maybe not so much a problem on the slower hard courts. Federer, Gasquet, Wawrinka , Dimitrov and now Thiem are the ones i can think of. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Djokovic saved by the rain it seems 

presume he will win 3-2 tomorrow 

Hes done it before, last year against Kevin Anderson he was two sets down and won but unlike this match it was a close two sets. He has been totally dominated by Querrey. Even the 7-6 first set scoreline flatterred him. 

On 6 June 2016 at 11:25, AVFCDAN said:

Its the backhand that will hamper him I feel. He needs the extra time to wind it up that he gets from the clay and won't get that on the faster surfaces.

Only Federer (and to a lesser extent Stan) has really made that single hander work, would be interested to know the top 10 of the last 10 years and how many of them had a single handed backhand, can't be many.

Thiem goes out to Journeyman Vesely early on B)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â