Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Think I'll pop down to the NIA aswell although probably be a good demand for tickets now GB won the trophy.

Always wanted to watch a live tennis match anyway, is it as fast paced live as it seems on TV.

I'd love to watch Federer live aswell before he retires, I really should go to that O2 thing in London but never seem to have any money in the weeks before it's on!

• 1 month later...

she won! two brits in the semi finals!

Kerber will be a tough challenge, but in her present form, she seems so mentally confident and free hitting with nothing to lose, I wouldn't bet against her yet. 

Murray will get through, but I do suspect the Men's Final in reality is happening tonight. 

Yes she did well to get to the semi's. Murray should get through to the final but Djokovic has only lost to Murray once since he beat him in the Wimbledon final 2013 and the last few times he has walked all over him. 

nice win for Murray , for a while he looked in danger

he should have won that last set 6-0 but went for a showboat and lost the game as a result  (and gave Raonic a little sniff)  , presumably he wont try something like that against Djokovic

Edited by tonyh29

• 1 month later...

Davis cup was good fun

its much different seeing a game live than on the TV , at time you could actually hear Murray blowing heavily as he ran across the court ... 5 weeks off seemed more like 5 months , just shows what 5 weeks can do to you when you play at the top levels

We treated ourselves to corporate tickets which meant free bar and food thrown in  , assuming we get through might go for that package again ... Likely to be Murray v Novak in the next round 

Edited by tonyh29

I went aswell Tony...sat right at the back in amongst the OAP VIP section (Tennis is certainly middle class in support levels).

Never been to a live Tennis match before but it was very good and the ball dosen't half move quicker than what it looks like on TV, so many times I thought a serve or shot was out and it clipped the line, very difficult to tell.

Annabel Croft aswell.....:P

Shame Wimbledon costs an arm and a leg to attend and you have to queue through the night...might look at the O2 end of year tournament if anyone's been to that...

Just watching Djokovic now....he's been on for over 3 hours and losing 1-2 to Kukuzhkin so might well be GB-Kazakhstan next round which will amuse a few no doubt.

this murray nishikori match is fantastic. Looks exhausting just watching it. Fingers crossed not long now...

I do think Murray playing the doubles was unnecessary for this one, and in general I reckon players who play singles shouldn't do doubles too for me at least.

• 2 months later...

I just saw it as Murray put so much into the first set, win it and try to rattle Nole that way but Djokovic got focused straight away at start of second set (saved a BP) and Murray's level dropped a fair bit.

2nd set was always likely to be like that...what's disappointing to me is Murray hasn't really made Djokovic work for set 3 and 4, been far too easy as Murray's hardly hit any winners and barely had a comfortable service game.

Combination of things but it's time like this that making hard work of rounds 1 and 2 and having to play 5 sets back to back wasn't the cleverest thing. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I just saw it as Murray put so much into the first set, win it and try to rattle Nole that way but Djokovic got focused straight away at start of second set (saved a BP) and Murray's level dropped a fair bit.

2nd set was always likely to be like that...what's disappointing to me is Murray hasn't really made Djokovic work for set 3 and 4, been far too easy as Murray's hardly hit any winners and barely had a comfortable service game.

Combination of things but it's time like this that making hard work of rounds 1 and 2 and having to play 5 sets back to back wasn't the cleverest thing. 

I agree there Chris, but also think Novak raised his level in set 2 and 3 and just had a little bit of nervousness at the end of set 4. Lets be honest he's a class apart from Murray who hasn't beaten him in a slam since that Wimbledon 2012. On his way to being the GOAT. Nobody since Laver in 69 has held all four majors at the same time. He's incredible. 

Oh agree Djokovic is just a mile infront at the top, not just in terms of technique but mentally.

Only shite part of his game is how awful his overhead smash is, it's proper county player level so maybe opponents should just lob balls to him in rallies....

I never though Nadal would break Federer's 17 Grand slam haul but really reassessing Djokovic...he's clear favourite to win Wimbledon and U.S Open, is a lock to win Aussie Open and you'd fancy him to win another French open before he's done now he's broken the hoodoo...that would put him on 16, only question is how quickly his level will drop once he gets past 30...

For Murray? He's comfortably the second best player in the world which is no mean feat but he just lacks that little extra to win slam finals he discovered under Lendl. He probably just needs a bit of luck I think e.g. play a Grand Slam final against someone other than Djokovic as you'd back him to beat pretty much everyone else.

It's interesting to look at how he'll finish his career...he's already achieved so much for a British Sportsman yet I'd be disappointed if he ends with just 2 slams. Think a player of his ability should be on 4-5 when he finishes so a lot of work still to do.

That's my analysis anyway...just waiting for Mr Pangloss to come on and say he's an Anti-English bottle job Scot.:lol: 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â