Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

A few years back I was very worried Nadal was going to fluke his way past Fed's 17 but fortunately he's all but done now and Djokovic is too far away to really challenge that.

Still would be brilliant to see him win it again, I believe that would be a record for Wimbledon as no one's won it on eight occasions.

A few years back I was very worried Nadal was going to fluke his way past Fed's 17 but fortunately he's all but done now and Djokovic is too far away to really challenge that.

Still would be brilliant to see him win it again, I believe that would be a record for Wimbledon as no one's won it on eight occasions.

Yes it is. Djokovic has lost too many finals to catch Federer. I think this will be his 17th and he has won 8. I can see him getting to 12 or 13

I hate the phrase 'outclassed' - it's as though the result was meant to be because the person who won was a better class of player anyway.

Well he is really 17 slams to 2

And the result was a foregone conclusion?

Edited by snowychap

No but I did say he was outclassed today. Federers best was too hot for Murray.

As is anyone's who beats anyone else.

What is 'outclassed' supposed to mean? It seems little more than a lazy synonym for 'beaten'?

I've always interpreted it as that there was nothing Murray (or whoever was outclassed) could have done.  Roger Federer at his best beats anybody.  It's not a foregone conclusion when Federer plays anymore, less than a month from his 34th birthday and pushing 1500 professional matches he's positively ancient as far as tennis players go and has a lot of miles on the clock. He's not the practically unbeatable tennis wizard that he was from, say, 2004-2009 but when he finds it in himself to produce then he has a level of genius which can still overcome younger, faster, stronger, fitter men. 

• Like 2

I've always interpreted it as that there was nothing Murray (or whoever was outclassed) could have done.  Roger Federer at his best beats anybody.  It's not a foregone conclusion when Federer plays anymore, less than a month from his 34th birthday and pushing 1500 professional matches he's positively ancient as far as tennis players go and has a lot of miles on the clock. He's not the practically unbeatable tennis wizard that he was from, say, 2004-2009 but when he finds it in himself to produce then he has a level of genius which can still overcome younger, faster, stronger, fitter men. 

I would argue that Nadal at his best beats Federer because its not a good matchup for Federer and Federer at his best doesn't neccesarily beat Djokovic. I think Djokovic plays the big points better than Murray, is mentally tougher and will get more of Federers serves back deeper. 

I don't think we will ever know for sure, the age gaps are just large enough to be a factor.

I guess what I like about Federer is that he has the ability to amaze more often than anybody else I've ever seen play.

oiRnpMT.gif

That shot today. :wub:

• Like 2

I've always interpreted it as that there was nothing Murray (or whoever was outclassed) could have done.  Roger Federer at his best beats anybody.

But that's a little daft because it becomes the kind of logic that says x is necessarily better than y - if x beats y then he's outclassed him; if y beats x then it's because x hasn't played at his best.

When players who are at the top of the game play well and win then it's quite possible that anyone else would have lost.

I think Federer would have beaten nigh on anyone today (including Djokovic) but then again Murray may well have beaten anyone in the Olympic final or in 2013 Wimbledon.

Edited by snowychap

I can't agree that Federer would have beaten anyone today. A player like Djokovic would have played it differently. Firstly he would have chosen to serve first unlike Murray who is mentally weak and he would have put more pressure on the Federer serve. I just don't think you can come out with those statements. Its impossible to know. Murray has lost the last 8 times to Djokovic. Djokovic has beaten Federer the last two times. The last time Federer played Murray it was 6-0 6-1. 

I can't agree that Federer would have beaten anyone today.

Tbh, I wouldn't have thought you would because that wouldn't have fitted with your ' outclassed' comment and the subsequent posts.

Edit: I think he would - you think he wouldn't.

You think he 'outclassed' his opponent; I think he played so well that he would probably have beaten any opponent.

Edited by snowychap

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â