Relegation thread

Knutserov13

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whilst we're talking about coincky dinks -

1963-64 season: liverpool won the league, leeds won div 2, cov won div 3. villa stayed up on 34 points!

Rather it be stayed up on 37 points though fella 😂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Stays up or go down by a tiny margin (which it will be) he starts next season for me.

Ive still got my doubts by any manager whose team concedes a lot of goals - not just DS anyone - in almost 50 years of following villa - Ive never known a manager with a poor defensive record turn it around and have a good one. If DS is the first then fine.

I really think this season is just an average one injury wise - Heaton is the only real loss - youre never going through a season where your better players won't miss chunks of the season through injury.

Be in no doubt though survival however its achieved is a great result.

I think we’re largely on the same page regarding Smith.

The injuries though, I think are way worse than the average. Teams often lose an important player for a month or two, but we lost our best box-to-box midfielder for 2-3 months, our best (by far) goalkeeper for 6 months and our first choice striker for 6 months. The striker one is even worse because we basically left ourselves with no other decent option. Smith never wanted Kodjia to play and we all know that Davis is still a prospect, because of how many of his development seasons have been disrupted by injuries.

Watford lost one key player in Delofeu in February and haven’t looked as good since. Imagine if they lost 2 more in quick succession.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I think we’re largely on the same page regarding Smith.

The injuries though, I think are way worse than the average. Teams often lose an important player for a month or two, but we lost our best box-to-box midfielder for 2-3 months, our best (by far) goalkeeper for 6 months and our first choice striker for 6 months. The striker one is even worse because we basically left ourselves with no other decent option. Smith never wanted Kodjia to play and we all know that Davis is still a prospect, because of how many of his development seasons have been disrupted by injuries.

Watford lost one key player in Delofeu in February and haven’t looked as good since. Imagine if they lost 2 more in quick succession.

I suppose Im showing my age - but we used to have horrendous injuries under Ron Saunders - yet still manage a 10 finish. Our star striker Andy Gray only played 12 games one season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCU said:

I'm here pal.

Why are you always attacking other people?

Relax, people are entitled to their opinions, I just know come Sunday if we stay up we will all be one big happy family again.

This is it. We all want what's best for villa, just we have different ideas of how to get there.

If we survive, it's not that I was right or you were wrong, it's that we can all be happy.

Similarly, if we go down, id hope the same attitude would be taken. Obviously without the happiness.

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

Ehh not really. Of the 11 players that started vs. Liverpool, 7 started vs. City + 2 more were on the bench (one came on). 

Watford had 2 points from an available 15 coming into that Liverpool game and had been dumped out of the FA Cup by Tranmere amidst that run.

I think Watford are a poor side devoid of confidence. But I also think they are fully capable of a freak result against an Arsenal side we’ve proven are also pretty shit. 

What I mean is that they had much more confidence back then. Yes they had a bad Feb but the 6 weeks before they had beaten Wolves, Us, Bournemouth and Man U. Plus Pearson was at the helm. Now they have no manager and the players have downed tools. Of course they are still capable as they have the players but I'd much rather be in our position. Plenty of twists and turns left yet. 

10 hours ago, paul514 said:

7 points from 9 in the last 3 games was basically a dream before the Palace game.

Just imagine if El Ghazi didn't mess up that gift in the Everton game!

Winning at Everton and getting the full 9 points from last 3 games actually wouldn't have changed a huge amount other than relegating Bournemouth. With 36 point we lose at West Ham and Watford win and we're gone so same as the current position. Then a draw and Watford win and we go down so again same.

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

The pussy side of me is tempted to switch my phone off for a couple of hours from 4 pm, watch a film with the other half then ask her to look at the scores exactly two hours later for me and give me the bad or (hopefully|) good news.

But the devil in me is thinking of booking Monday off work, going to a pub for 12, singing my first Villa song at 2, fresh by 4, leathered by 6 and hopefully out celebrating till the early hours of the morning then coming home to the wrath of my extremely annoyed bird whom I told it's "just a steady one".

Decisions, decisions...

Do you need any company to achieve your goals.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Agree, its Bournemouth who worry me most. Important we stay in the west ham game as long as possible. Cant afford to go 1 down and panic  

Believe it or not but we are actually quite good staying in games early on. We have only conceded 12 goals all season before the 30th minute mark. Our main problem is in the 5 minute period before half time and also late on in games we're winning.

Since restart we've only conceded two goals in the first half of games and they were both v Man. United (and one of those shouldn't have been given).

We're more than capable of keeping it to 0-0 v West Ham up to half time and then seeing what is happening elsewhere. Have to think the longer it goes on West Ham won't care much and will start subbing their better players, think they took Antonio off after 70 minutes yesterday.

3 hours ago, Cizzler said:

I mean, this Watford side beat in form, title-winning Liverpool 3-0 to hand them their first defeat of the season. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

Saying that, I’m actually probably more concerned about Bournemouth. Everton looked like they were just going through the motions vs. us.

Everton are so random. Offered nothing v us until last 10 minutes but then went and dug out a good 1-0 away to Sheffield United who still had a chance of europe. They have only scored more than a goal in one game since restart and have injuries in defence so Bournemouth still have a big chance of winning if they get the first goal in that.

Going to the pub at 12 on Sunday, then a “few” back to mine to watch the game. 

Some of them are teachers and coaches (baggies and blues 🤢) but all villa fans. They havnt got work and I’m on holiday Monday.

So either big day of drinking and a lot of high ho silver lining or sat alone in the corner listening to man in the mirror.

Im scared, nervous and excited

Edited by Nicho
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is that calculated to 3 points for a win or not? Would have been 2 then.

Over the 42 game season based on three points for a win we would have finished on 45 points, which averaged out to 38 games = a points tally of 40.71, round to 41 points which is indicative of usual amount to stop up, excluding recent history of West Ham when they went down on 42 points 

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Winning at Everton and getting the full 9 points from last 3 games actually wouldn't have changed a huge amount other than relegating Bournemouth. With 36 point we lose at West Ham and Watford win and we're gone so same as the current position. Then a draw and Watford win and we go down so again same.

It would have removed the (unlikely) scenario of Watford staying up by beating Arsenal by 2 or more goals than we beat West Ham by.