Relegation thread

Knutserov13

My take is the Arsenal /City game set the stage for what followed. City losing meant Pep gave them a rocket and they came out much better against Watford , Arsenal on other hand put alot into the game to win and had a bit of a lull. Helped by Arteta taking inspiration from Paul Lambert and stick all his forwards on and no midfield which upset their balance completely ..I can't see him allowing them to perform like that again.

Watford in defence are pretty ropy as well and the CM is very average with Cleverly and Hughes in there.There one star player is Sarr who has done nothing since the restart after his 2 goals against Liverpool pre covid.

Bournemouth tough game at Everton who will want to end season on high so players stay in Ancelotti's plans also as we saw they haven't lost at home under Carlo and will want to maintain that.Had off game against Wolves but been better since 

For us we need to concentrate on ourselves but lets see how West Ham now safe perform tonight , I suspect some levels will drop off now they are safe. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Never underestimate this clubs ability to stab you right in the heart. Our innate capacity to disappoint is unmatched in the game.

This is where I am at. Dreading it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

This is where I am at. Dreading it.

We have the momentum but I agree. Andy Carol could haunt us is my feeling. 

brought on and a lumped long ball which he behemoths onto someone, or controls and back into the net himself 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

We have the momentum but I agree. Andy Carol could haunt us is my feeling. 

brought on and a lumped long ball which he behemoths onto someone, or controls and back into the net himself 

Andy Carroll? Why would he hurt us?

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

My take is the Arsenal /City game set the stage for what followed. City losing meant Pep gave them a rocket and they came out much better against Watford , Arsenal on other hand put alot into the game to win and had a bit of a lull. Helped by Arteta taking inspiration from Paul Lambert and stick all his forwards on and no midfield which upset their balance completely ..I can't see him allowing them to perform like that again.

Watford in defence are pretty ropy as well and the CM is very average with Cleverly and Hughes in there.There one star player is Sarr who has done nothing since the restart after his 2 goals against Liverpool pre covid.

Bournemouth tough game at Everton who will want to end season on high so players stay in Ancelotti's plans also as we saw they haven't lost at home under Carlo and will want to maintain that.Had off game against Wolves but been better since 

For us we need to concentrate on ourselves but lets see how West Ham now safe perform tonight , I suspect some levels will drop off now they are safe. 

that could be our saving grace. i remember watching the city documentary and pep was talking about finding ways to motivate players when there's nothing left to play for. things like this are just that. going a full season unbeaten at home is pretty huge, especially when you think of how much quality there is in this league. for a mid table side, it would be a fantastic achievement, and something to really celebrate. surely they'll want that. otherwise, what the **** have they achieved this season?

edit: just seen you meant under carlo...and they did indeed lose at home this season before he came in. oh well.

Edited by tomav84

On 15/07/2020 at 00:03, abdulaziz1 said:

We haven’t had points at Old Trafford since then, this season we drew.

We haven’t won against Newcastle since 2010-11, and done it this season. 

We’re the first team to win all days of the week in a season.

We have been to the LC final for the first since a decade. 

We had an advantage of the hawk eye technology as the only time in 9000.

We had the worst draw against Liverpool, yet they had to play kids for us to qualify comfortably.

We’ve made our way up last season with 10 straight wins. Leeds to bottle it and Derby to come instead.

Why won’t we beat Everton or Arsenal for the first time since god knows how long?

I know I know, I still think it’s likely we’ll be down, but Everton is our playoff final. Let’s Wigan it, let’s Albion it. Let’s do it in a Villa style. 

The Great Escape!

Here is a hoping guys, I know the more I think about it the more nervous I am, but hopefully we’ll do it! 

Let’s write the history this season again, and be the phoenix that comes out of flames for the second season on row, to do it in the Championship, then again in the PL. 

I’m proud, our team character is great. We kept praising others, our boys need praise. Yesterday you can see our Lions roaring! Grealish, Luiz, Guilbert, Konsa and others. You could see the willingness on them. That’s what we’ve been missing. But they kept showing it whenever it mattered.

Now we’re one step from our goal. In our statues, it’s one step to glory. If we manage to stay, our whole plans would be different. The experience that our players had, the characters they built, the confidence level, Smith improvement. All of that will help. 

Up The Villa! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd resigned myself to relegation a few weeks ago and was comfortable with it  ... new manager , new recruitment , blood some youngsters' in the Championship , money in the bank , win some games (yay)

if we **** it up now having got our noses in front , i think I'll be gutted

I just keep picturing some 94th minute controversial VAR goal saving someone else and relegating us , I'm thinking I'm going to switch my phone off and go and sit in a field Sunday afternoon and find out the scores at 19:00 , rather than put myself through the agony 

Exactly the same as what I think

Lets all meet up in a field and talk about anything but football! 

The last twenty pages are setting us all up for a huge disappointment. To me, we're still favorites to go down. 

I was going to write a longer story, but Chindie kind of swiped the rug from under my feet with the post on top of this page.

Please people, don't give in to hope yet, even if, on paper, things look brighter now. They never really are.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

The last twenty pages are setting us all up for a huge disappointment. To me, we're still favorites to go down. 

You really think that?

We must be slight favourites to stay up. Its tight but i'd rather be in our position rather than B'muff and Watford. 

I'm not counting chickens though. I'll be a quivering wreck on game day! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The arsenal Watford game is gonna be tough.

Arteta had said they will be putting all their effort in the the fa Cup final on the 1st August as that's now their only chance of European football.

The fact they play Watford on the 26th and its a dead rubber game, I seriously hope they don't field a severely weekend team.

Maybe the weakened team would perform better? I mean yesterday was full strength or as close to it and well they frankly looked fatigued at times. Maybe a few changes might be what they need.. or am I clutching.

9 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I was going to write a longer story, but Chindie kind of swiped the rug from under my feet with the post on top of this page.

Please people, don't give in to hope yet, even if, on paper, things look brighter now. They never really are.

As hopeful as I am, and as I were (our worst time when I was almost surrendering was when Watford beat Newcastle. I’m too nervous even to think about the games. As I have been with playoffs.