Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Germany recorded 1,000 deaths yesterday, double what we're getting.  What is going on over there?  I thought they had a tight grip on this.  That sounds bad. 

Due to the holiday period apparently and some authorities reporting lower figures over that time and there being a bit of a correction today. I'd imagine we may well see the same in UK and wouldn't be surprised to see 800+ deaths announced either today or tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Germany recorded 1,000 deaths yesterday, double what we're getting.  What is going on over there?  I thought they had a tight grip on this.  That sounds bad. 

Maybe they’ve aligned their recording to the rest of the world. I’ve always been a little dubious of their low numbers without any significant differences in how they are managing the virus.

Confirmed on the Sky News website.

Millions more people are facing tighter COVID restrictions as the government extended Tier 4 rules to cover more areas in England.

Areas that will be covered by the Tier 4 rules from tomorrow are:

• Leicester City
  • Leicestershire
  • Lincolnshire
  • Northamptonshire
  • Derby and Derbyshire
  • Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
  • Birmingham and Black Country
  • Coventry
  • Solihull
  • Warwickshire
  • Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
  • Lancashire
  • Cheshire and Warrington
  • Cumbria
  • Greater Manchester
  • Tees Valley
  • North East
  • Gloucestershire
  • Somerset council
  • Swindon
  • Bournemouth
  • Isle of Wight
  • New Forest

The review of England's tiered system of restrictions follows areas being moved into Tier 4 on Boxing Day.

Well, after days of the govt asking people not to be dicks and not to drive to tourist spots they’ve finally actually done something today and closed the gates on all the beach car parks.

Doesn’t stop people driving here, but hopefully does cause them to have a bit of stress and a bit of a think and a wonder why they might be closed.

By doing it now, hopefully the message gets out there before New Year’s Day.

Government have dug themselves a new hole it seems. By quietly closing some of the Nightingales, and not hiring staff for the others they can’t really make a big fuss about the regular hospitals being overrun because it leads right back to them. Pricks.

Here's Boris's take on it, unchallenged by the Beeb's tame journalist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55489932

Speaking to the BBC earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that 60% of UK coronavirus cases were now the new, more transmissible, strain of Covid-19.

Asked by political editor Laura Kuenssberg if the government had been too slow to act, he said: "What we, unfortunately, were not able to budget for was this this new variant."

He added: "It's spreading rapidly from the places where it's started, in the east of London and in Kent. And, alas, it's starting to seed across the country."

Nobody could have seen this coming, alas. His hands were, alas, tied. 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

One for @villakram, BBC have just interviewed a young doctor in a London Hospital.  In addition to the fact they are being overwhelmed he specifically said what was surprising him was the number of young people with no previous Medical conditions.

Still as long as Facebook and Twitter tell us it's only the old who get ill I can only assume he's making it up. 

This is the problem with large numbers, statistically things are not changing all that much in terms of the breakdown of the vulnerable population.

Humans are terrible at evaluating risk, hence the over-interpretation of such anec-data.

3 hours ago, sne said:

And it just keeps going. Magdalena Andersson, Swedish minister of finances was in Sälen, a popular Swedish skiing resort over Christmas. Something they have strongly advocated against. No mask of course.

Fwiw there has been a massive outbreak among staff at the resorts in Sälen during Christmas.

Finansministern besökte en skiduthyrning i Sälen 20 december.

Their hypocrisy is truly impressive. They must have had some conference calls with those running California.

The masks don't work though, so in terms of what the virus is doing, not wearing really doesn't matter as is being demonstrated by the global outbreaks.

29 minutes ago, villakram said:

This is the problem with large numbers, statistically things are not changing all that much in terms of the breakdown of the vulnerable population.

Humans are terrible at evaluating risk, hence the over-interpretation of such anec-data.

It's just getting boring now @villakram. Very boring. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

People seem to be concluding kids aren’t going back to school next week, has it been announced somewhere?

Secondary kids with exams this year back on 11th January, those with no exams back on 18th.

Primary back next week as normal I believe.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

People seem to be concluding kids aren’t going back to school next week, has it been announced somewhere?

Yes.  Exam year students 11 Jan, others 18 Jan 

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Due to the holiday period apparently and some authorities reporting lower figures over that time and there being a bit of a correction today. I'd imagine we may well see the same in UK and wouldn't be surprised to see 800+ deaths announced either today or tomorrow.

You called it. 

Â