Generic Virus Thread

villakram

It's a new technique so its hard to project the long term side effects, and I've been working front line throughout the pandemic testing negative every time someone in the department has had symptoms, antibody test also came back negative. I'm 39 so I feel the risk is probably higher that I develop complications from the vaccine rather than catching covid. 

I'm still have reservations about the Pfizer vaccine, I understand the Oxford vaccine better and would have that if offered. 

I do feel as though I should have it as I work in the nhs, and need to protect patients I come in contact with but at the same time I haven't caught it despite being l exposed to it a fair amount, which has me questioning if I can catch it. 

Well, with boring predictability, it's Christmas week, and I'm starting to get ill. Seems to happen every year. Almost certainly not CV19 - no fever, and smell and taste are still fine, but I have a hacking cough - swamped in catarrh, rather than the dry covid version. But it's making me wonder whether I should avoid contact with the rest of the family for the proposed presents handover on Xmas Day. 

Pisser. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Sad 4

Just now, mjmooney said:

Well, with boring predictability, it'fs Christmas week, and I'm starting to get ill. Seems to happen every year. Almost certainly not CV19 - no fever, and smell and taste are still fine, but I have a hacking cough - swamped in catarrh, rather than the dry covid version. But it's making me wonder whether I should avoid contact with the rest of the family for the proposed presents handover on Xmas Day. 

Pisser. 

Have you booked a test? 
You can probably get one today and result tomorrow.

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Have you booked a test? 
You can probably get one today and result tomorrow.

Hadn't planned to, but I guess it might be a good idea. I'd be surprised if they aren't oversubscribed though, given the circumstances. I think I'll wait and see if I get any covid-like symptoms first.  

Edited by mjmooney

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Hadn't planned to, but I guess it might be a good idea. 

Yeah defo. 
My wife checked the app, got a test slot 1 hour later, result next morning.

Edited by Genie

My Dad has been a bit unwell for the past week or so.  We finally got him to have a test - it was done in a flash and he remarked that the place was so clean and careful.  The negative test result came back yesterday morning.  If you have any doubts at all, I would advise to get it done to put your mind at ease.  

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

You can only get a free NHS test if at least one of the following applies:

you have a high temperature
you have a new, continuous cough
you’ve lost your sense of smell or taste or it’s changed
you’ve been asked to get a test by a local council
you’re taking part in a government pilot project
you’ve been asked to get a test to confirm a positive result

None of the above applies (the cough is not 'continuous'). 

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I feel very ambivalent about criticising those who 'bend' the rules, as - I've already admitted it earlier in this thread - we've been doing so in this family for several months, with the grandchild care. Yes, it's allowed, but in theory only for one other family - and we're doing it for two (with one of our daughters doing her WFH in our house). Put simply, they don't have the finances to do otherwise. 

We both work from home, and have 2 young children at school. However, since September, the boys have collectively had 8 weeks off school due to cases in their classes and shortage of teachers etc. We have involved family members to help throughout, and have therefore bent the rules. What's the alternative, one of us gives up our jobs? Problem is as well, this is only continue into the new year.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This x a million.

As with pretty much everything they've done with this pandemic, the cost of delaying action is far worse than taking action sooner.

Everything is for a short term gain. Keep the economy going, try to save christmas blah blah blah. With absolutely no concern for the long term damage that does.

If the first lockdown had happened sooner it would have been shorter. Less damage done to the economy.
Same with the second lockdown.
Obsessed with keeping London open for as long as possible has now meant things are worse than ever there.

They're a complete and utter shambles.

They made sure people spent a fortune on Christmas gifts, food, drink etc. Which a lot wouldn't have been purchased if current set up was known

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I don’t think they are that fussy. I’d personally get one done so you know where you are and can act accordingly.

Yeah, got one booked. Setting off now. 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Great stuff. Good luck, probably be confirming what you already know but I’m sure the nagging doubt would have chipped away at you.

Also, if people look at you funny when you cough you can tell them you don’t have it (so f**k off). 

Edited by Genie

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think they are that fussy. I’d personally get one done so you know where you are and can act accordingly.

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

They don't ask. And if they did just say you can't taste anything

(I'm not condoning frivolous testing but if people genuinely feel ill then I don't think you should worry if you're unsure you quite meet certain criteria)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

35,928 cases in the UK yesterday, double the previous Sunday. It’s going to get a bit bumpy isn’t it.

It's been doubling every 7 days so you can expect it to be 70,000 around Christmas.  And Christ only knows how many in early January when all those people have been welcomed into homes accelerating it further. 

There will be some older loved ones die over this.  My HIGHLY at risk mother in law was due to go to my sister in laws because they've both been very locked down themselves due to health conditions. She's been totally alone since my father in law died in March.  However they've all agreed its best she stays home. 

It does make you think that at some point although we've not got near to the 70% needed for herd immunity you would get to 70% of the less careful/deliberately ignoring it people so the increases would like to slow?

Â