Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I mean that’s exactly what they want you to think to be fair. Let’s tell people they can have a five day Christmas, cancel it four days beforehand and then blame it on the people when they don’t follow the rules. 

Their messaging and planning has been shambolic, but I think people need to take some responsibility for their own decisions. Even when the rules were relaxed, it was clear the government's main concern was the economy, not the safety of the public.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. People can put "but we travelled before midnight" on their nan's headstone if it makes them feel better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Their messaging and planning has been shambolic, but I think people need to take some responsibility for their own decisions. Even when the rules were relaxed, it was clear the government's main concern was the economy, not the safety of the public.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. People can put "but we travelled before midnight" on their nan's headstone if it makes them feel better.

It’s not like this is something new though is it? Give people an inch and they’ll take a mile. It’s always been the way.

The whole “trust in the public’s common sense” is absolute nonsense designed to put the emphasis on the public rather than those who should be putting appropriate restrictions in place and ensuring that they are followed.

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It’s not like this is something new though is it? Give people an inch and they’ll take a mile. It’s always been the way.

The whole “trust in the public’s common sense” is absolute nonsense designed to put the emphasis on the public rather than those who should be putting appropriate restrictions in place and ensuring that they are followed.

For me it depends on how early they knew about this new strain and how long it took before they had enough data on how much more contagious it is.  It doesn't sound like you need to have been testing the rules to their limits to have ended up catching it.

9 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. Nor do I think "common sense" is a substitute for sensible rules and enforcing those rules.

I'm getting fed up of people acting like morons then wondering why things keep getting stricter, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Since March, I've done the following outside of the house

Dropped off a birthday card and present for my brother and chatted for a bit.

Dropped off a birthday card and present for my sister and chatted for a bit.

Dropped off a birthday card and presents for my girlfriend and chatted for a few minutes stood outside her house.

Gone to a pharmacy a short walk away once a month.

Gone to a corner shop once a week.

Other than that, I've been alone, at home, working. I'm due to go to my sister's for Christmas. That'll be the first time I spend and length of time in a building that isn't my house in 9 months. Thank **** I don't live in the southeast. I'm pretty resilient and comfortable in my own company, but I think I might go nuts if I had to sit here on Christmas Day on my own.

You’ve done more than most, wouldn’t begrudge you going there anyway whether you were sitting in the middle of London tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

then wondering why things keep getting stricter, though

That hasn't really been happening though, just an illusion of it. Tier 3 is less strict than Tier 3 was before Lockdown 2. That first Tier 4 was in turn less strict than the first Lockdown. Only today with Tier 4 has a more strict measure taken place

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. Nor do I think "common sense" is a substitute for sensible rules and enforcing those rules.

I'm getting fed up of people acting like morons then wondering why things keep getting stricter, though.

Oh I completely agree with this with one caveat. If something is made allowable in the rules by a government being advised by scientists then I’m not sure I’d call somebody a moron for following the rules. Trusting something to peoples common sense rather than making it clear that people shouldn’t be doing certain things is a recipe for disaster.

Anybody acting outside the rules I completely agree is a bit of a moron and some people have disregarded the rules to the point where they can validly be held partly responsible for how badly we seem to be dealing with this compared to other countries.

I’m now in a situation where I have family that haven’t made a food order for Christmas, there are no delivery slots this side of Christmas, they don’t have a car.

I’ll be shopping and clogging up the roads this evening and I don’t give a shit who tuts at me.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

That sounds a lot like me (apart from going to your sisters for Christmas. I don’t think she’d appreciate me turning up out of nowhere). 
Trying to work out if I’m still allowed into my support bubble this week (the other half and the little one are in Brighton).  I suspect not and it looks like a lonely London Christmas for me. 

I think support bubbles apply whatever the restrictions/tier.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think support bubbles apply whatever the restrictions/tier.

My hope is that joining my support bubble trumps the order to not leave a tier 4 location. At the moment, I’m not clear on that. :blink:

• Like 1

Just a reminder that this was as recently as three days ago.

And a further reminder that those people, who a year ago decided to hand power to people who have never been anything other than incompetent clowns, fully share the responsibility for what is happening at the moment.

• Like 4

Â