Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

If thats where the record player is, it sounds like bliss

There are 3 out there in various states of disarray!

Another under the stairs, and the one I appear to have settled on long term, currently playing.

How many is too many? There’s a new boxed 1970’s one on gumtree presently for £70 that’s tempting me...

• Haha 1

Drastic measures implemented in Sweden as of Dec 24th. Pretty much the final blow for bars and restaurants that will now go bust in droves.

Fwiw I'm all for these things and feel they should have been implemented much earlier, but the way it's been handled is piss poor. Constantly incorrect guesstimations and acting too late at every turn while not taking any responsibility from government and the CDC. 

• - The maximum number of restaurant visits is reduced from eight to four people
  • - The maximum number is introduced in shops, in shopping centers and in gyms
  • - Alcohol sales are prohibited after 20:00
  • - Wear mouth guards in public transport at certain times from 7 January.
  • - All non-essential staff must work at home
  • - The upper secondary school will continue with distance education until 25 January
  • - The holidays sale is canceled

Worth noting.

It appears that those wonderful long chain molecules and their friends, do much more than help with the washing up.

"“We know (PFAS) do suppress the immune system — as well as stimulate it in certain cases,” Birnbaum said. “We know that if you have higher levels, you’re more likely to have that suppression happening. And we know that suppression of the immune system can be associated with a decreased ability to mount a therapeutic response to vaccination.”

...Grandjean says that although PFBA exits the bloodstream in a matter of days, as opposed to longer chain compounds that stay in the body much longer, the chemical accumulates in the lungs and “it’s probably what’s in the lungs that counts because that’s where the big COVID battle is fought,” Grandjean told The Intercept this month.

More than half of the 332 people in Grandjean’s study who developed severe COVID symptoms had elevated PFBA levels in their blood plasma.

“What we understand about COVID and PFAS effect on the immune system is that people with higher PFAS levels in their blood are at higher risk of immunotoxicity,” said DeWitt."

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/12/pfas-exposure-may-reduce-covid-19-vaccine-potency-experts-warn.html

Thanks to Saint Obama for handing out free passes during his presidency to the corporate overlords here. I very much recommend the movie Dark Waters (2019) if this interests you.

Edited by villakram

3 hours ago, sne said:

Drastic measures implemented in Sweden as of Dec 24th. Pretty much the final blow for bars and restaurants that will now go bust in droves.

Fwiw I'm all for these things and feel they should have been implemented much earlier, but the way it's been handled is piss poor. Constantly incorrect guesstimations and acting too late at every turn while not taking any responsibility from government and the CDC. 

• - The maximum number of restaurant visits is reduced from eight to four people
  • - The upper secondary school will continue with distance education until 25 January

Reading through these measures compared to what we have had in UK, and many other countries, these don't seem that drastic but I guess they are compared to how you have been handling it over there previously. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Reading through these measures compared to what we have had in UK, and many other countries, these don't seem that drastic but I guess they are compared to how you have been handling it over there previously. 

That's the thing, we've been told over and over that the measures other countries were taking was unnecessary or over the top and that we would be fine due to our approach. We even relaxed our measures even further a couple months ago. 

Obviously and as expected this misfired and now here we are, doing what most countries has been doing since this whole thing started. No one will be taking responsibility thou as the narrative will be that you can't compare and that there are no guaranties and so on.

Fwiw I don't think there was/is a "right way" to handle this but there sure are wrong ways to handle it. And the Swedish way of constantly downplaying the risks, telling people to don't wear masks, telling people to use common sense but not ordering them what to do has made people nonchalant and casual about the whole thing and it has, and is killing people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

We are governed by clowns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

We are governed by clowns.

Terrified to make any big unpopular decisions. The whole plan regardless of what the issue is, is to wait, do very little hope it solves itself and then start an investigation that will present it's findings (but not until after the next election of course). And then blame the previous government, both sides does this, as would the brown party if they came to power.

30 minutes ago, sne said:

Terrified to make any big unpopular decisions. The whole plan regardless of what the issue is, is to wait, do very little hope it solves itself and then start an investigation that will present it's findings (but not until after the next election of course). And then blame the previous government, both sides does this, as would the brown party if they came to power.

I agree with the bold bit in general, the current problem is that when they got all brave and confident they made the decision about Christmas much too early and now they have to deal with the mess of their own making.

If they’d have said back in November “regarding Christmas we really can’t say what the appropriate measures will be at this stage. We of course what people to spend time with their friends and family but numbers and the duration will need to be determined at the middle of December. What everybody can do in the meantime is continue to do everything they can to get the number of infections down then we’ll be in a stronger position go relax restrictions at Christmas”. 
Job done.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So over the last 2 months, I’ve done a fair bit of travel. Off the top of my head, I’ve visited:

Wigan / Bradford / Burnley / Bolton / Birmingham / Bromsgrove / Worcester / Harrow / Finchley / Barnet / Croydon / Woolwich / Exeter / Plymouth / Luton / West Drayton / Isleworth / Brentford / Chester / St Albans

I’ve done all that and managed to avoid catching the fungus. 

All arranged so the visits were finished by middle of last week. Ten days now since I’ve been out n about. I was **** determined to be absolutely Howard Hughes like on my travels and it looks like I managed it. Took my own food, took flasks of coffee and packs of biscuits, fuelled up to the brim to do visits knowing I could get back to the same one petrol station rather than using randoms.

Weirdly nerve racking, travelling around knowing I really really don’t want to eat Christmas dinner on my own sat out the garage.

(just in case anyone suggests I could be Typhoid Mary, I know I was clear at the start, and I’m 10 days home after my last trip out)

You watch me catch something in Lidl on the weekend...

I've been thinking about how it's spreading so extensively. 

I know it's possible to catch it regardless of what precautions you take but surely to be spreading so much lots of people must be just ignoring the lockdown and/or simply not taking proper precautions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know it's possible to catch it regardless of what precautions you take but surely to be spreading so much lots of people must be just ignoring the lockdown and/or simply not taking proper precautions. 

Pretry much, yeah.

You can be unlucky after trying your best. You can be in a job or a family situation where the odds are stacked against you.

But there are plenty of people out there that are either genuinely thick or wilfully ignorant. 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I agree. And what about the people that have supposedly caught it multiple times, are they licking door handles?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I agree. And what about the people that have supposedly caught it multiple times, are they licking door handles?

Nearly spat my beer out. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Based on your profile, there are between 27,132,105 and 38,844,493 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across the UK. 
📅 Given a vaccination rate of 1,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your vaccine between 26/06/2021 and 16/09/2021.

I’ll keep those dates free.

Â