Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, there was some talk of GPs having to reduce their hours for other ailments and conditions so that they can spend half their time doing jabs, which seems like a staggering waste of money when a nurse could do it, so there's one possible way.

I'm not being funny but GPs are the least worked people in most practices already. Anything short of Bubonic Plague gets palmed off to nurses / practioners already

I'd be shocked if doctors could remember how to give a vaccine being as its mostly done by nurses or that bloke who wears an ill fitting cheap suit in the chemist these days

Just now, bickster said:

I'm not being funny but GPs are the least worked people in most practices already. Anything short of Bubonic Plague gets palmed off to nurses / practioners already

I'd be shocked if doctors could remember how to give a vaccine being as its mostly done by nurses or that bloke who wears an ill fitting cheap suit in the chemist these days

Government will extend lockdown so they can't go to the golf club :P

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

image.jpeg.241570e8d079cc529e21af6f20ddd47b.jpeg

The numbers in the US for the last week and a half is just shocking. They are averaging 142k new cases and over 1400 dead a day this week.

They'll be passing 250k dead sometime this week and everything is rapidly going the wrong way. Then again Sweden and large parts of Europe is also heading the wrong way.

But at least we have international football friendlies still going on.

The situation in South Dakota is particularly crazy. 1 in every 54 people in the state is infected *right now* (and that's people that they know of, where there's a positive test), and the proportion in hospital is crazy as well.

The governor thinks it's a hoax, and that people are to blame for getting sick, because of course she does.

EDIT: Got the number wrong from memory, but still a complete disaster:

Edited by HanoiVillan

could have gone in a number of threads...

COVID-19: Pfizer vaccine faces Brexit risk, UK partner warns

The boss of the British company supplying a crucial ingredient of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine has warned that avoiding Brexit border disruption will be "a crucial step" in ensuring it is available to millions of people.

Yorkshire-based Croda International has provided a key chemical element of the vaccine to Pfizer in the trial phase, and has won a five-year contract that will see it deliver materials for 1.3 billion doses next year alone, worth around £75m.

Distributing the doses is a huge challenge and, deal or no-deal, the UK will have new customs controls from 1 January.

More On Sky News

A record 33,470 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the UK in the past day, official data shows.

It is the highest daily figure since mass testing began in the UK, and brings the total number of cases to more than 1.29 million.

The number of virus tests conducted across the UK has steadily increased in recent weeks.

On Wednesday the UK became the first country in Europe to pass 50,000 Covid deaths.

Thursday's daily number of cases showed a 45.8% increase on Wednesday's figure of 22,950.

Experts have previously warned against describing the daily figure as a record because there was no widespread testing programme during the first wave of the epidemic.

BBC

I would love to know how the positive vs test rate has gone up given the increased testing.  

1 hour ago, sne said:

The numbers in the US for the last week and a half is just shocking. They are averaging 142k new cases and over 1400 dead a day this week.

They'll be passing 250k dead sometime this week and everything is rapidly going the wrong way. Then again Sweden and large parts of Europe is also heading the wrong way.

But at least we have international football friendlies still going on.

UK has approximately 1/5 of the population and recorded 33,470 cases today which is more than 1/5 of the US numbers.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

They GP surgeries might have to start answering their phones again rather than leaving a recorded message telling you to go away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

GPS are doing a lot of phone appointments now. 

Might be specific to ours but it’s pretty much impossible to get through. They have a recorded message saying to try again later and no answer machine function.

Just now, Genie said:

Might be specific to ours but it’s pretty much impossible to get through. They have a recorded message saying to try again later and no answer machine function.

Mine you get in queue. First time i rang it took 30 minutes to get through. The second took 10 minutes. Mine is a large group practice which covers LA3 AND LA4. Morecambe and Heysham

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

GP surgeries might be, GPs not so much, they have underlings for stuff like that

My wife has some health worries a few weeks back, had a phone appointment with the GP who suggested blood tests. The nurses were having none of it and she had to argue with them to let her in for a blood test. Then she tried on and off for a couple of weeks to get through to find out the results but couldn’t get anyone to answer the phone.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

My wife has some health worries a few weeks back, had a phone appointment with the GP who suggested blood tests. The nurses were having none of it and she had to argue with them to let her in for a blood test. Then she tried on and off for a couple of weeks to get through to find out the results but couldn’t get anyone to answer the phone.

awful 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I was really pleased to have a practitioner diagnose potential skin cancer via a photo I sent by email, gave me all the confidence in the world

I guess they are technically right, it’s like googling any symptom and it’s always “potentially” cancer. 99.9% of times it isn’t.

Â