Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, snowychap said:

You've been on this site for twelve years, Darren. And you're not an idiot.

Every time I take you off ignore I regret it. I won't make the same mistake again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I assumed that was 40 million doses as in enough for 40 mil people. Though I confesss it's not something I'd rightly considered when I was intending to have a little fun at Darren's expense. You may have a point there

But whoi knows, if he gets two doses his hairt might grow back

It’s been reported the 40m doses is enough for 20m people.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

I assumed that was 40 million doses as in enough for 40 mil people. Though I confesss it's not something I'd rightly considered when I was intending to have a little fun at Darren's expense. You may have a point there

But whoi knows, if he gets two doses his hairt might grow back

How much PPE is a pair of gloves...

• Like 1

I’m surprised they’ve not managed to find anyone with an adverse reaction to this vaccine yet.

We know that many extremely common drugs like paracetamol, aspirin, penicillin etc really disagree with some people. They are still used everywhere.

Have any of you heard of this vaccine before it was announced that it had gone through stage three and was 90% succcesful? Is there a possibility that this is fake news just give the economy a much needed boost?

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Have any of you heard of this vaccine before it was announced that it had gone through stage three and was 90% succcesful? Is there a possibility that this is fake news just give the economy a much needed boost?

Yes, it's real

It is hopefully not the solution though. This vaccine will be ten times more costly than the Oxford University one, the results of which are expected in a matter of weeks and won't come with the severe storage issues that this vaccine comes with

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes, it's real

It is hopefully not the solution though. This vaccine will be ten times more costly than the Oxford University one, the results of which are expected in a matter of weeks and won't come with the severe storage issues that this vaccine comes with

ok thanks 

15 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised they’ve not managed to find anyone with an adverse reaction to this vaccine yet.

You can find millions of them in America, Coincidentally most of whom also Voted for Trump. 

merlin_157082217_6b7a4a88-deac-44de-b4a2

500.jpg?quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

Yes. It's the German Biontech genetically engineered version. As Bicks says, it was behind the Oxford vaccine which has been the front runner all the way along.

It looks like the efficacy results of the Pfizer/Biontech are better than the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine and it has the potential to be produced more quickly and could have less side effects.

The Oxford vaccine is attenuated Covid-19 virus in an Adenovirus carrier. It's a standard concept.

BionTech is a pure messenger RNA vaccine so no virus is needed. It's kind of implanting the instructions on how to fight the virus into your body without your body needing to see the virus and build its own instructions.

This is a good explainer even if it is from the source so has a vested interest in making it sound good

https://www.pfizer.co.uk/behind-science-what-mrna-vaccine

The long term risk factors associated with the RNA drug platform are basically unconstrained, whereas the Oxford candidate uses a well known and well characterized process.

This needs far more discussion than it is currently getting.

Also, it's quite interesting how the Russian/Chinese etc., treatment options are all being ignored, because they are clearly lying and incompetent, clearly. 

Just now, bickster said:

Easily?

Yep. Specially though?

I was thinking they’d hire some consultants to oversea the jabs and some private nurses being paid £800 a day to administer them. But, it’s later revealed that 90% of them were sat doing nothing but getting paid because Hancock messed up the logistics of getting the drugs to the surgery.

Well, there was some talk of GPs having to reduce their hours for other ailments and conditions so that they can spend half their time doing jabs, which seems like a staggering waste of money when a nurse could do it, so there's one possible way.

Â