Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The vibe of the comments on that post is that this was the government testing the public reaction via the press, reaction was that it is too soon to ease the restrictions so the government will now say they never were going to ease them much...

In which other countries were the public calling on the leaders to put a lockdown in place? and then when rumour of restrictions being eased pushed back to say it shouldn’t happen yet?

The tail is wagging the dog.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

My Mother In Law joined in a genuinely social distanced ‘street party’ yesterday. They all sat in their won gardens, had an old songs CD on the player and shouted chit chat back n fore for a couple of hours whilst having their own drinks.

She was 12 when the war ended, all her neighbours are pensioners and they had a great time and I’m really please for her. She phoned us to tell us all the plans they’d made for the day and I was genuinely quite touched by it all and I was glad she had something to look forward to.

The end of war, with nations coming together to defeat literal evil is definitely something to celebrate.

See, this bit is why I can do a bit of silly giggling and rubbish jokery, but I can't join in the angry pigeon holing of huge swathes of the population. The only persons I know personally who did any celebrating in the street was my 90 something year old relative who very much lived through the war and the family members who live with her as carers. When I spoke to them last week she was planning to sit outside the front door shouting across hedges to her equally old neighbours in her street where they've mostly all lived for decades and know each other's names. 

To dub her as a brexity moron is, quite frankly, moronic. As is the way we, as a wider society, are taught to celebrate war as mrdj points out rather well above.

That these rubbish human types exist in society is not in question surely, but to my mind, reading over these posts has reinforced my absolute hatred for stereotypes and group think. 

Both sides debating this have made good points and bad points along the way I think. The reality sits firmly in the middle imho.

Anyway, if we've got that out of our systems, there's a war against a virus on, and that one against terror still, and the one against...

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is really well put together. 

Just shocking really.

Yeah laying it out like that shows how shambolic it is

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah laying it out like that shows how shambolic it is

We got ta git behind da man! Boris is coming home, eez comin home, eez comin home! Lefty scum!

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've always thought a free press to be a good thing, but the more I see from the filthy rags that pass as newspapers in this country, I'm not so sure. 

They've gone downhill massively over the last 10 years or so. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

3 months late.

... and still too weak. Borders should have been shut at the beginning of March.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've always thought a free press to be a good thing, but the more I see from the filthy rags that pass as newspapers in this country, I'm not so sure. 

There needs to be some sort of independent regulatory group that decides what things are classed as news and what things aren't. 

Let Fox news and the Sun continue as they are but for the public sake, they aren't allowed to be classed as a news outlet. They're news entertainment. 

No and also, politely, no.

What we should have is laws about hate speech, incitement and a regulatory framework that is applied consistently and upheld. 

Outside of that we need education. 

Banning speech or wrong-think is a slippery slope I want no part of.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

What we should have is laws about hate speech, incitement and a regulatory framework that is applied consistently and upheld. 

So we should have laws to prevent it, but shouldn’t ban it?

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I agree. But what education? As soon as the curriculum deviates from Agincourt and Waterloo, you'll get howls of "Left wing brainwashing!" from the usual quarters. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'm not saying ban it. Let these outlets print and say what they want, but they aren't classed a news organisation. 

Car dealerships set to open Monday, not sure weather this is because lockdown rules are being lifted a little tomorrow, not that they should be, but I know behind the scenes the Industry has been saying it'll collapse if closed any longer so have been granted to reopen by the goverment with strict distancing rules, which to be be fair when it gets busy are gonna be close to impossible.

53 minutes ago, blandy said:

So we should have laws to prevent it, but shouldn’t ban it?

Touche.

Perhaps my wording is poorly assembled but we have freedom of expression right? Not freedom of speech. 

Making martyrs of the scummier elements of the media could backfire massively. 

What we lack is serious discussion imo. If the government or bbc or whoever challenged the daily mail or whoever instead of pandering to it we wouldn't be where we are. 

I've mentioned before about government departments applying the daily mail test to press releases or actions. Where someone will be asked to consider 'what would the daily mail say' which is shorthand for what the blowback in the press will be. Now that is tail wagging dog stuff, and I might add, a tail beholden to corporate interests via advertising. 

As others have said above, the govt make decisions based on holding or gaining power, the media play a huge part in that, but it is scary we've moved away from doing things because it would be correct to do so. The court of public opinion would have stopped many of the advances we recognise today as good or decent. Gay rights, women voting, all sorts. 

Courting Murdoch's approval is the problem.

Edited by VILLAMARV
Wordwang
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â