Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, sne said:

The Tokyo Marathon was fun. 35.000 scheduled to run in front of packed streets.

Only the 400 elite runners where allowed to participate and they had staff positioned at subway stations with signs begging people to stay away and not gather to watch.

Honestly, I am surprised they bothered.

It didn't work though. Apparently crowds rocked up to watch anyway.

3 hours ago, Risso said:

Obviously different cultures eat different foods, but I'm struggling to think of a worldwide pandemic that has been caused by eating oysters.  

I’m not really sure where you’re heading with this?

I was responding to someone mentioning that the Chinese’s eat wild or unconventional food. I was suggesting that different cultures eat different foods. Which it looks like you’re agreeing with.

I’ve never suggested there was an oyster virus pandemic.

So, yeah, good point well made. 

• Like 1

How testing failures allowed coronavirus to sweep the U.S.

The Trump administration’s decision to forgo a World Health Organization test and create its own had fateful consequences, experts say.

On Saturday Jan. 11 — a month and a half before the first Covid-19 case not linked to travel was diagnosed in the United States — Chinese scientists posted the genome of the mysterious new virus, and within a week virologists in Berlin had produced the first diagnostic test for the disease.

Soon after, researchers in other nations rolled out their own tests, too, sometimes with different genetic targets. By the end of February, the World Health Organization had shipped tests to nearly 60 countries.

The United States was not among them.

Why the United States declined to use the WHO test, even temporarily as a bridge until the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention could produce its own test, remains a perplexing question and the key to the Trump administration’s failure to provide enough tests to identify the coronavirus infections before they could be passed on...

Politico

• Like 1

The US healthcare 'system' is uniquely unsuitable to dealing with things like this. Profit is king and unfortunately profit doesn't really give a **** if a bunch of poor people can't afford to get the help needed to prevent the continued spread of a disease.

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m just back in from a jaunt into Sheffield, the majority of Chinese people are wearing face masks. The rest of the northerners are wearing shorts and T-shirts. 

Screenshot_20200306_095432_com.facebook.katana.jpg

• Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â