Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Ex Danish international Thomas Kahlenberg is infected, he was in the stands at the Bröndby - Lyngby game in the Danish league on Sunday along with over 16.000 other people.

The USA

GOP blocking coronavirus bill — because it limits how much drugmakers can charge for a vaccine: report

On Tuesday, Politico reported that GOP lawmakers are holding up a bipartisan emergency funding bill to provide treatment and research for coronavirus.

The main reason? They object to a provision that prevents drug manufacturers from overcharging the government for any vaccines or other treatment.

“Democrats are insisting the spending package include significant funding to purchase large amounts of coronavirus diagnostics, treatments and vaccine, when it becomes available, which would then be made available to the public free of cost, according to a senior Democratic aide,” reported Politico. However, “Republicans are trying to eliminate the ‘fair and reasonable price’ federal procurement standard for the vaccines and treatments that will be developed and purchased with the emergency funds. ‘Fair and reasonable price’ is a basic standard to prevent price gouging in federal contracts. Without the language, drugmakers could charge the government above-market rates, meaning fewer Americans will have access, according to the Democratic aide.”

A vaccine for coronavirus is in the works, but experts suggest it is still at least a year away from becoming available. Other therapeutic treatments may become available before that.

More in link

Haha, reckon today’s figures will have OAPs swallowing their dentures! Perhaps delaying to coordinate with a statement moving response from contain to delay? 

Wrong guess: only 25 new ones taking total to 115 in UK as at 9am. Strange that they delayed the release of new figures. 

Edited by Awol

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can't help thinking it's a weird thing to say. As surely he is more aware than most, the point of social distancing measures is not to stop the virus 'moving through the population' (we can't do that), but to reduce stress on the health system:

Given that (as I say) Johnson already knows this, I don't understand why he is appearing to cast doubt on social distancing at this early stage. Maybe it's another of his 'Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe/reading colonial poetry in Myanmar' moments, but one way or another I now want to know. 

There’s an argument (Not mine btw) that the first major country to pass through the epidemic and recover will be at a distinct economic advantage to those mired for months in extended lockdowns. 

Heck of a gamble though, as you say. It could go completely wrong and scythe down half his voters! 

19 minutes ago, supermon said:

115 confirmed positive cases! We should have looked to Singapore to see what they're doing.  They seem to have a better recovery rate than most other countries.

There's 9 in the midlands! Ergghh

Yes, England should act like a city state dictatorship. BORIS, oh Boris...

Edited by villakram

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can't help thinking it's a weird thing to say. As surely he is more aware than most, the point of social distancing measures is not to stop the virus 'moving through the population' (we can't do that), but to reduce stress on the health system:

There is a counter argument to that though that whilst isolation flattens the curve of cases vs time, allowing more to get treatment and reducing the strain on resources, if you let it run rampant through the population the peak of the cases comes quicker and is more devastating to population numbers, the economy recovers far more quickly and the people that prefer this approach (which I'm half convinced is Us and the USA) really don't give a shit about the death toll in the freeloading pensioner classes or the underlying health issues category as they are economically unimportant

1 hour ago, Awol said:

There’s an argument (Not mine btw) that the first major country to pass through the epidemic and recover will be at a distinct economic advantage to those mired for months in extended lockdowns. 

Heck of a gamble though, as you say. It could go completely wrong and scythe down half his voters! 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

There is a counter argument to that though that whilst isolation flattens the curve of cases vs time, allowing more to get treatment and reducing the strain on resources, if you let it run rampant through the population the peak of the cases comes quicker and is more devastating to population numbers, the economy recovers far more quickly and the people that prefer this approach (which I'm half convinced is Us and the USA) really don't give a shit about the death toll in the freeloading pensioner classes or the underlying health issues category as they are economically unimportant

Kind of stunned at the realisation that I credit the Tories with more humanity than you guys do!

But yeah, thinking about it, of course that may be my mistake. 

Another 3 cases in the little city I live in (we have the big regional hospital so any cases in the region are transferred here) making it 5 confirmed cases in 2 days.

Starting to see people with face masks out and about looking like absolute morons. Better "safe" than sorry I guess.

Sweden as mentioned in a previous post comically ill prepared for this and anything else.

They guy who's in charge of the department handling crisis like this is a bureaucrat with no detailed knowledge who is continuing to downplay any risks in a Trumptonian manner and who did a smashing press conference last night where he managed to cough into his own hands while the medical expert next to him was explaining that you should cough into the air or the bend of the arm and not your hands to avoid spreading the virus.

Bildresultat för Anders Tegnell,

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

are doing less damage than people panic-purchasing bog roll

These people are economic heroes, creating demand and increasing profits

• Haha 1

Just now, bickster said:

These people are economic heroes, creating demand and increasing profits

Unless they're planning to repeatedly contract diarrhea to get through it all, they're not creating demand, just bringing it forward in time. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Unless they're planning to repeatedly contract diarrhea to get through it all, they're not creating demand, just bringing it forward in time. 

They will have a surplus at home and use it for alternative purposes

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â