Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I agree. However, the tests have got better over time (and we get better at using them). It does seem more likely that if it was recent, it was covid.

Thats also true. I do need to keep on what the symptoms are for covid these days as it seems to change.

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats also true. I do need to keep on what the symptoms are for covid these days as it seems to change.

Yes, like flu there is a plethora of symptoms and people got a "random" set of them.

It’s almost like it impacts different people in different ways and relatively healthy relatively young people can go unaffected whilst it can kill someone with existing vulnerabilities.

I don’t see us ever going back to mass mask wearing, too many in society lack the empathy for that. But there’s clearly been a ramping up of mask and glove wearing in the octogenarian hoards at the M&S food hall. Which is probably wise on their part and not a sign of timidity.

Personally, I still don’t think I’ve had it, but I guess there’s every chance that the time I had the shits or a runny nose or just felt a bit down, that might have been It.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

there’s clearly been a ramping up of mask and glove wearing in the octogenarian hoards at the M&S food hall. Which is probably wise on their part and not a sign of timidity.

Unfortunately most of said octagenarians (a) seem to think that the masks are to protect them from catching covid from other people - when their main function is actually to prevent them from transmitting covid to other people, and (b) many of them cover just the mouth and not the nose. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont know one person thats paying for a test. People are actually coming into the office now with covid thats how much they dont worry about it now. They treat it as sniffle now

Opposite happens here - people avoid going into the office for a broken fingernail, let alone covid :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately most of said octagenarians (a) seem to think that the masks are to protect them from catching covid from other people - when their main function is actually to prevent them from transmitting covid to other people, and (b) many of them cover just the mouth and not the nose. 

If it’s giving them the confidence to get out and about again it’s probably still doing a lot of good I suppose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s almost like it impacts different people in different ways and relatively healthy relatively young people can go unaffected whilst it can kill someone with existing vulnerabilities.

wasn't that essentially the view Johnson / the government  took , until the scientists and co scared him with reports of millions of dead  .. followed by inquiries saying he / the government were too slow to act ?

I was fairly confident I wasn't "at risk " but I did my lockdowns , I took my jabs and I didn't organize curry parties in Durham  , just like the vast majority   .. it wasn't about me being at risk , it was about mrs Miggins down the road whose health history I'm not privy to

I'm not sure you'd get me to do it again , if I went somewhere and their policy was wear a mask or don't come in , then I'll put one on  , but if its optional , then its highly unlikely I'll put one on , i don't think that's a lack of empathy on my behalf though 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I see you’ve met my parents.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

wasn't that essentially the view Johnson / the government  took , until the scientists and co scared him with reports of millions of dead  .. followed by inquiries saying he / the government were too slow to act ?

I was fairly confident I wasn't "at risk " but I did my lockdowns , I took my jabs and I didn't organize curry parties in Durham  , just like the vast majority   .. it wasn't about me being at risk , it was about mrs Miggins down the road whose health history I'm not privy to

I'm not sure you'd get me to do it again , if I went somewhere and their policy was wear a mask or don't come in , then I'll put one on  , but if its optional , then its highly unlikely I'll put one on , i don't think that's a lack of empathy on my behalf though 

I think that’s the position for the vast majority. I think its pretty much where I am.

Based on no science at all, I suspect the early versions of the virus did have the potential to kill millions. There were rapid variants and it was finding weaknesses not only in those clearly already vulnerable, but also in peeps that had imagined they were ‘fine’. So having seen the spread, the pictures from China, the evolving variants I think it was right to put the fear of god into the slob Johnson for a while.

I think it probably is a lack of empathy on the voluntary mask wearing, but due to it requiring a change of culture. If you think about it, you wearing a mask could in theory prevent someone’s nan dying a little earlier than she otherwise would have. When you’re faced with Betty and told a mask means she gets to see the next grandchild, you and me will happily put the mask on.

When we’re faced with a foodhall full of Bettys getting in our way, we tend to think **** it.

Well, that is a lack of empathy, but to a societal norm.

• Like 1

Gah. Got tagged again. Second time for me. Feels like it hit me harder but after 48 hours it’s already dissipating so I guess that’s good news. 
Glad I nabbed a booster when in the US a while ago. 

One of my work colleagues who lives a few doors up had a bad bout of it over weekend. Couldn’t get out of bed for 3 days.  Another lad I know reckons the only people who get it are the ones who believe in it 😂

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

If there’s another pandemic in the next 20 years we’re ****. Absolutely nobody will trust what the politicians say.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

If there’s another pandemic in the next 20 years we’re ****. Absolutely nobody will trust what the politicians say.

Very true. I'd like to think we'd be better prepared for another pandemic but as you say people won't trust what the politicians say.

Just out to stock up on toilet roll....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I will. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Even if it’s Farage as PM and leader of the Tories?

What if there is a nuclear war and a cockroach is Prime Minister? 

Just now, sidcow said:

What if there is a nuclear war and a cockroach is Prime Minister? 

Same thing 😁

On a slightly serious note, whilst the sensible few take precautions to protect others we’ll be watching the world burn through our windows as far too many won’t sacrifice again after what happened last time.

Edited by Genie

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â