Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Forgive me - I believe your original point was that case numbers are not  an important measure when considering lockdowns. IMO they are .

bear in mind there are many more infected people not showing symptoms - who currently going around infecting people.

You cant just let cases run rampant - if that figure got to say 200k - the govt would have to act - even if hospitalisations weren't rising significantly 

Not sure of the relevance of your walk through brum - but would agree without a tightening of restrictions we are going to get a massive rise of cases.

Why do cases matter if symptoms are just mild if anything?

My walk through Brum proves no ones bothered, as hardly anyone had masks on.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why do cases matter if symptoms are just mild if anything?

My walk through Brum proves no ones bothered, as hardly anyone had masks on.

Because symptoms are mild in the majority of case (for arguments case) - A small minority of cases will still require hospital treatment. So a small minority of 100k+ cases per day - V the amount of capacity in the NHS. ?

Bear in mind NHS staff are in the front line - so sickness levels are increasingly rapidly - further reducing capacity in the NHS.

Even with mild symptoms there are some jobs especially in healthcare - you absolutely can't do. even pre covid you wouldn't want to be operated on by a surgeon who kept blowing his nose.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What’s the general feeling around restrictions? Personally I don’t think they’re a good idea and I hope we avoid them for a number of reasons. 

Not overly bothered by them if I'm honest, got used to them

And they're far stricter than the UK, currently as an actual daily impact to me I have to wear a mask on the train to work, I'm supposed to work from home and need written permission to go in the office but I need the printer and stuff so go in, I'm not allowed face to face meetings with anyone so everything is on teams, to get in the office I have to show them my test cert and wear my mask anywhere outside my room, the city centre in mask only, if I want to go in a shop I have to queue and show them my test cert and ID, to play football I have to show my test cert, over Xmas I go to a restaurant where I have to show my test cert and take a quick test in front of them, Tuesday I had my hair cut where I had to show my test cert and wear my mask while having it cut, next week we meet up with some family friends 2 sisters and their partners, none of them vaccinated so we can't meet up as a group we have to go see them separately, new year's eve is no parties and no fireworks, clubs are shut, pubs are hit and miss but of course masks and test certs 

Its just what life is and there are some protests but it's generally accepted 

If your idea of "restrictions" is a mask in tesco being unfair then personally I find it mad, just **** do it

The only really bad thing that I don't like is the restrictions on hospital visits for family members, watched the video earlier of Gerrard talking to the poor kid in hospital for xmas, the overriding feeling I had wasn't that the kid had cancer at 7 and **** cancer or that Gerrard offered him the chance to meet the team which was great it was that his parents are there wearing masks and no one else will be able to visit him, that's proper shit 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because symptoms are mild in the majority of case (for arguments case) - A small minority of cases will still require hospital treatment. So a small minority of 100k+ cases per day - V the amount of capacity in the NHS. ?

Bear in mind NHS staff are in the front line - so sickness levels are increasingly rapidly - further reducing capacity in the NHS.

Even with mild symptoms there are some jobs especially in healthcare - you absolutely can't do. even pre covid you wouldn't want to be operated on by a surgeon who kept blowing his nose.

My Mrs is on the frontline, so I'm well aware if it gets out of hand in the hospitals. What I am hearing is it's only the weak who are suffering and very few cases.

I've highlighted the first paragraph, as you could be talking about Infuenza.

I went to Tesco to get some final booze shopping for Christmas and saw one checkout that was a lot less busy than the others, then I discovered why as the checkout lady was absolutely minging, sneezing and wiping her nose with no mask on.  I **** hope she didn't have it, I've basically cut out all my social interaction other than work this week, I don't want to fall at the last hurdle.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

What’s the general feeling around restrictions? Personally I don’t think they’re a good idea and I hope we avoid them for a number of reasons. 

Don’t effect me too much personally , but crap for other people. Some restrictions are needed but also its down to the public to think for themselves . 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What I am hearing is it's only the weak who are suffering and very few cases.

link

Looking at that London, down there, where al the fungus is and has been for the past couple of weeks

A total of 2,097 people were in hospital in London with Covid as of 8am on 23 December, according to new figures from NHS England.

This is the highest number since 27 February and is up 44% from a week earlier. During the second wave of coronavirus, the number peaked at 7,917 on January 18.

Across England, 7,114 patients were in hospital with Covid on 23 December, the highest number since 4 November and up 11% week-on-week. The second-wave peak for England was 34,336 on 18 January.

There were 307 Covid admissions recorded by hospitals in London on 21 December, NHS England said.

It looks from the data that (as many thought) Hospitalisations would increase quite a bit as all these Omicron funguses wrought their way through the streets of London village. Yes, more people unvaccinated down there, the whoppers, but it's still not good for them. I hope where there are more people (percentage wise) with vaccinations, the impact of the vaccines and of people (or at least a good chunk of them) being more cautious that we'll be OK-ish.

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My Mrs is on the frontline, so I'm well aware if it gets out of hand in the hospitals. What I am hearing is it's only the weak who are suffering and very few cases.

I've highlighted the first paragraph, as you could be talking about Infuenza.

Well pre covid. I'm sure youre other half will be familiar with the term "winter pressures."

I don't have the precise figures for flu. But from memory they are staggeringly low v covid. Omricon appears to be lower than Delta - but (I'm guessing here) it would be much higher than seasonal flu.

Edited by hippo

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

link

Looking at that London, down there, where al the fungus is and has been for the past couple of weeks

It looks from the data that (as many thought) Hospitalisations would increase quite a bit as all these Omicron funguses wrought their way through the streets of London village. Yes, more people unvaccinated down there, the whoppers, but it's still not good for them. I hope where there are more people (percentage wise) with vaccinations, the impact of the vaccines and of people (or at least a good chunk of them) being more cautious that we'll be OK-ish.

2097 people in hospital with Covid?

Were they admitted with severe Covid symptoms.  Did they catch it there. Were they admitted with a broken leg but had Covid when tested???? How many on oxygen, were they admitted with heart problems but found to have Covid.

This proves high cases, but not severe Covid issues.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Were they admitted with severe Covid symptoms.  Did they catch it there. Were they admitted with a broken leg but had Covid when tested???? How many on oxygen, were they admitted with heart problems but found to have Covid.

I'd revisit that post if I were you.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Well pre covid. I'm sure youre other half will be familiar with the term "winter pressures."

I don't have the precise figures for flu. But from memory they are staggeringly low v covid. Omricon appears to be lower than Delta - but (I'm guessing here) it would be much higher than seasonal flu.

Yes definitely, even without Covid. But the fact is at Good Hope, Covid, at present is not making it anymore pressurised, an you would think by now they would be.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I just posted it as a piece of information, seeing as there's been discussion as to how the new variant would affect hospitalisations. It seems it is. I don't have data for different categories of treatments, only the like for like comparison with February at the early part of the year.

It's a reflection of the start of the increase in cases there a couple of weeks ago. It's in the direction we'd expect, as you imply. Cases go up, Hospitalisations follow, particularly where there are large numbers of non-vaxxed folk.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

...London village. Yes, more people unvaccinated down there, the whoppers, . . .

I've seen people casting doubt on this, BTW, as it seems to be based on unreliable data re the population of London boroughs. Unlike us out in the provinces, the populations of esp inner-London boroughs have changed a lot during the pandemic, but administratively we have little way to capture that.

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

I just posted it as a piece of information, seeing as there's been discussion as to how the new variant would affect hospitalisations. It seems it is. I don't have data for different categories of treatments, only the like for like comparison with February at the early part of the year.

It's a reflection of the start of the increase in cases there a couple of weeks ago. It's in the direction we'd expect, as you imply. Cases go up, Hospitalisations follow, particularly where there are large numbers of non-vaxxed folk.

The vast majority is due to covid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes definitely, even without Covid. But the fact is at Good Hope, Covid, at present is not making it anymore pressurised, an you would think by now they would be.

Then they're very lucky because that's not the case around the country. 

There was a report released a month ago, showing the amount of time it's taking to get people out of ambulances and into the hospital. And A&E at heartlands is an absolute mess. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â