Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Thanks. We’re absolutely fine. All symptoms have passed for me, and were very mild anyway, and the boy has been largely unsymptomatic, but has a touch of the sniffles. 

But if his test is positive, we’ll almost certainly be spending xmas eve isolating. 

My daughters have both tested positive this morning.  Christmas cancelled for seeing family...

...but I'm out of the **** loft, man :D 

Lad I work with has COVID, we have worked in close proximity for about 3 days while he was coughing and sneezing . He took 2 lateral flow tests that came back negative but he was so ill Thursday he took a PCR test that came back positive Sunday. I have tested ever since and I'm negative with no symptoms. Lateral flow tests seem very hit and miss, we are both fully vaccinated. 

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

He took 2 lateral flow tests that came back negative but he was so ill Thursday he took a PCR test that came back positive Sunday. 

Exactly the same as a bloke I know.

I think they are hit or miss.  But I also wonder if people are using them properly.  I'm never sure I've actually managed to get it far enough to the back of my throat before gag reflex kicks in, or I've got it far enough up my nose.

I'll save people the trouble

image.png.189a9b4a3cce9f0ce4a182b51390134f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

155 increase in people in hospital in London with Covid. Small increase again. Signs staying positive, fingers crossed it stays this way

Where did you get that figure from? The covid dashboard for London states that yesterday 1819 people were in hospital with covid and today 1904. A rise of 85 (both those figures are not yet complete data due to the reporting lag) but that rise of 85 people represents a rise of 4.7% in a day, if your figure is correct that rise would be nearing 10%, in a day, that is not a "small rise"

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Where did you get that figure from? The covid dashboard for London states that yesterday 1819 people were in hospital with covid and today 1904. A rise of 85 (both those figures are not yet complete data due to the reporting lag) but that rise of 85 people represents a rise of 4.7% in a day, if your figure is correct that rise would be nearing 10%, in a day, that is not a "small rise"

Healthcare in London | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

The increase day to day from 1666 to 1819 

% increase is irrelevant. If we went from 10 to 15 people in hospital it would be a 50% increase. What matters is we had a peak just under 8000 in the last winter wave. So we can handle at least that much. We had 1276 people in hospital who had tested positive for covid on 14 Sept and we're 1819 (for 20th Dec) and 1904 (pre validation 21st Dec). 

London cases dropped to 20,491 from over 22k yesterday. So the peak is behind us now for sure in terms of cases

Edited by CVByrne

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So basically the English approach is to wait and bit and see just how bad it is going to be.

Sounds a foolproof plan to me.

boris-zip-line.gif

Restrictions (or protective measures if you prefer) will be coming though.  It is telling that he is releasing pre-recorded video clips rather than holding press conferences currently. 

These figures do not state how many people went to hospital with Covid, just who has gone to hospital and then tested positive. Everyone entering the hospital gets tested now. So the 155 could just be people admitted to hospital with Covid.

It also needs to be stated how many need oxygen, as hardly any admitted with Covid at my Partners work needed oxygen or are serious. It's a much different scene then the first few waves.

There's so many parameters I'm not sure why people are so focused on figures. 

Reference lateral flow tests, there is no need to stick it down your throat. Get the new ones, they have a smaller swab which just goes up your nose.

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So basically the English approach is to wait and bit and see just how bad it is going to be.

Sounds a foolproof plan to me.

It's what plenty on here were trumpeting for so I guess it's a vote winner.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

These figures do not state how many people went to hospital with Covid, just who has gone to hospital and then tested positive. Everyone entering the hospital gets tested now. So the 155 could just be people admitted to hospital with Covid.

It also needs to be stated how many need oxygen, as hardly any admitted with Covid at my Partners work needed oxygen or are serious. It's a much different scene then the first few waves.

There's so many parameters I'm not sure why people are so focused on figures. 

Reference lateral flow tests, there is no need to stick it down your throat. Get the new ones, they have a smaller swab which just goes up your nose.

True some will be people who had covid but went to hospital for other reasons. The number on mechanical ventilation is slightly down from Sept due probably to boosters and Omicron but you'd expect the increase there to come in a weeks time or later

9 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

A rusty cough seems to have come on out of nowhere coupled with feeling a bit feverish but nothing too horrid thanks mate 

You got any WD-40 for that cough ? 

I didn’t have a cough , just headache, night sweats and loss of smell/taste . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

There is no way that the vaccines stop 90% of transmission.

Evidence please?

Remember that this was for Delta and Beta and Alpha variants. The evidence for Omicron is also available, and it has led directly to the booster programmes being adopted, because it showed far, far lower results for this latest variant.

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So probably he can stay on topic and not bottle saying what needs to be done in fear of pissing off the throbbers in his party.

So he doesn't have to answer questions about other scandals, IMO.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â