Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Had my second jab today. No waiting, went right through. The staff informed me that they were ahead today. Did also notice that there 8 staff giving the vaccine today, instead of 4 when I had my first in January.

We're so lucky there are people volunteering to help deliver and run the process, at a local level. Great effort.

Absolutely, they are putting themselves in some danger as well mixing with all those people as well. 

My parents have both had their second jabs today.  They had their first ones AFTER my mother in law who doesn't get second jab till next week. 

I think they only had 8 weeks between jabs. 

Dr's Surgeries seem to be more flexible than the mass vaccination centres, with those you booked your second jab at the time of the first jab booking.  Dr's Surgeries are just using their supplies as best they can I think. 

Covid: Summer holidays abroad 'unlikely', warns government adviser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56467813

Way to piss on people's chips. It just feels like we are just cowering to this virus now. If every 'vulnerable' person has been vaccinated by summer then i don't see the problem in people going away. 

The average age of people dying in the UK with Covid is over 80 (based on the last figures I could find). The higher risk category is 60 plus. Anyone below that then its a negligible risk. Yes, there will be odd instances but you could say the same about any virus/illness. 

The virus isn't going to disappear, we need to learn to live with it by having vaccinations and getting on with life,  not banning holidays and having repeated lockdowns. 

Sorry for the gripe, just a bit fed up. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is the whole “slow down because we’re short of medicine” a bluff for the EU and we’ve actually got shit loads?

The slowdown starts in April, till end of March we've got shit loads. 

I really don't know why the EU are moaning, all the major nations have big stockpiles of AstraZeneca because of the original reluctance to give it to old people and then the pause. They probably won't be able to get rid of what they have already with refusals. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The slowdown starts in April, till end of March we've got shit loads. 

I’d love it if we got to April and then miraculously we found a few million doses we hadn’t “accounted” for (declared). 

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Way to piss on people's chips. It just feels like we are just cowering to this virus now. If every 'vulnerable' person has been vaccinated by summer then i don't see the problem in people going away. 

The average age of people dying in the UK with Covid is over 80 (based on the last figures I could find). The higher risk category is 60 plus. Anyone below that then its a nominal risk. Yes, there will be odd instances but you could say the same about any virus/illness. 

The virus isn't going to disappear, we need to learn to live with it by having vaccinations and getting on with life,  not banning holidays and having repeated lockdowns. 

I think it's the "science" side of Government saying these things. I think the "business" side of Government will open up, they're just biding their time waiting for EU to catch up on Vaccinations.  The world will be very different by June.   The EU will be where we are now at that time with falling cases and less community transmission. 

Boris will face a vote of no confidence from backbenchers if he doesn't open up by July/August. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d love it if we got to April and then miraculously we found a few million doses we hadn’t “accounted” for (declared). 

I read somewhere that The Government are in constant dialogue with The Serum Institute and Indian Government still trying to get more supplies through. We might manage to squeeze a few more out of them. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it's the "science" side of Government saying these things. I think the "business" side of Government will open up, they're just biding their time waiting for EU to catch up on Vaccinations.  The world will be very different by June.   The EU will be where we are now at that time with falling cases and less community transmission. 

Boris will face a vote of no confidence from backbenchers if he doesn't open up by July/August. 

I immediately thought this was more of the game of politics with the EU. Of course there are large parts of Europe desperate for the Brits and their holiday money go turn up.

Could be wrong of course but it doesn’t seem logical to me if everyone has had a jab by end of July (which gives vast majority of protection), a big chunk had both doses. 
If people are not allowed abroad for holidays then that industry is gonna need a shit load of government financial support.

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

I immediately thought this was more of the game of politics with the EU. Of course there are large parts of Europe desperate for the Brits and their holiday money go turn up.

Could be wrong of course but it doesn’t seem logical to me if everyone has had a jab by end of July (which gives vast majority of protection), a big chunk had both doses. 

The main worry is about the mutations being brought back into the UK from overseas, we've managed to keep the South African and Brazil variants at bay so far but when people go jetting off to various places then come home it's going to be nigh on impossible to keep them out. 

But I think they will take a gamble on that, there will be boosters around for the new variations by then I reckon. They'll be single shot. 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

My parents have both had their second jabs today.  They had their first ones AFTER my mother in law who doesn't get second jab till next week. 

I think they only had 8 weeks between jabs. 

Dr's Surgeries seem to be more flexible than the mass vaccination centres, with those you booked your second jab at the time of the first jab booking.  Dr's Surgeries are just using their supplies as best they can I think. 

Yeah, I'm starting to wish I'd waited for the GP, as I now have to wait until May for my second. 

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

They've had over a year now.  I'm sure with no holds barred and big budgets you can set up a new line of most things in that time.  The lead time is going to be tanks and conveyor systems.  

I've seen it described as a not entirely dissimilar process as brewing beer. 

Actually probably the "bottling" machines might be the most difficult to obtain,  but you don't find many machines with a lead time much in excess of 12 months, but money talks when you want things to move more quickly. 

I’m in danger of sounding like a Gov spokesman here when the reality is I’m highly critical of them for many things but I don’t think this is fair criticism.

This Gov like several before it were asleep at the wheel on the topic of a global pandemic. The warnings signs have been there with various infections and countless scientific warnings but we were woefully under prepared.

They also got much wrong in the Dec-March period and loads wrong since.

But they haven’t had 12 months to prepare for mass vaccine production given that 12 months ago they didn’t have a working vaccine.

You talk about big budgets being thrown at it but that is what they did both in terms of finding a vaccine and in terms of production. If memory serves me correct they put £100m into finding the vaccine and a further £94m into production. They have in my view taken measures, sizeable measures on this front and in advance of most other nations.

The fact remains they failed to prepare and they are guilty on that charge but so are past Gov’s of all political make up’s.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

The average age of people dying in the UK with Covid is over 80 (based on the last figures I could find). The higher risk category is 60 plus. Anyone below that then its a negligible risk. Yes, there will be odd instances but you could say the same about any virus/illness. 

Tbh, regardless of the state of this country, an awful lot of Abroadia is going to be shut anyway

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I'd imagine in terms of being able to holiday abroad then it will be like last year and there will be travel corridors and countries, or even just parts of countries, you'll be allowed to go to so maybe not mainland Spain but the Canaries or Balearics. I know Greece are prioritising their islands for vaccinations, which massively depend on tourism, with the aim to be able to open up to tourists by mid May.

Edited by markavfc40

15 hours ago, darrenm said:

27,000,000 vaccinated now (1 or 2 jabs) which is incredible.

It takes a couple of weeks to gain effective immunity but that's almost half of the UK population. The 2nd booster jab only increases efficacy by 5% anyway.

The easing of restrictions seems a bit drawn out to me. I'm surprised there hasn't been more demand to make the dates of opening back up earlier. Though it does seem like people are taking it into their own hands and ignoring a lot of the lockdown rules.

I think maybe they’ve finally realised how they **** it up twice already by opening up too soon so they’re actually going to do it right this time

From a purely selfish point of view I hope that foreign holidays are allowed because that will presumably mean quarantine won’t be required on return, and so I’ll be able to come to the UK without having to do so (although I’ll have to come there to get a vaccine any time soon so I won’t have my “passport” in advance).

It seems that relative to the population, we administered more jabs than anywhere else in the world yesterday :).  If we take the population factor aside, we're still 2nd in the world (behind the US which administered a whopping 2.5 million). 

Our World in Data

5 minutes ago, trekka said:

It seems that relative to the population, we administered more jabs than anywhere else in the world yesterday :).  If we take the population factor aside, we're still 2nd in the world (behind the US which administered a whopping 2.5 million). 

Our World in Data

USA seems to have really ramped it up at last. My sister-in-law in Baltimore has had her first (Moderna), and I have a couple of American friends who have had both doses already. And, amazingly, they haven't had to pay. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â