Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't need qualifications to make a personal choice do I?

No of course not, I was genuinely intrigued why you thought two injections were the right amount, not one injection or three.  

I thought maybe some qualifications had given you insight.

For something I have very little knowledge about I’m following people who have made a life long career and education in it and have then been peer reviewed and controlled by experts worldwide

For something so simple like an injection, half hour out of my day once in a blue moon it seems a simple choice for me especially given issues that the virus can cause however rare that maybe.  An injection once in a blue moon makes it rarer and for the minor inconvenience and no cost seems like a good decision.

So I was just intrigued why you are ok with just two.  I thought it might be based on your qualification background or something because you started the journey with injections having two so not an anti vaccination person so I thought it maybe more based on more than just thinking it was enough, hence why I asked.

Hope that covers my reason for asking, I wasn’t being funny!

So following on from your answer, if you don’t have qualifications why would you not follow expert advice?

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I've only ever had the 2 and don't feel the need to have anymore,  if you do that's fine no problem.

You won't be offered it anyway as I get the impression you are substantially under the age of 50

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

No of course not, I was genuinely intrigued why you thought two injections were the right amount, not one injection or three.  

I thought maybe some qualifications had given you insight.

For something I have very little knowledge about I’m following people who have made a life long career and education in it and have then been peer reviewed and controlled by experts worldwide

For something so simple like an injection, half hour out of my day once in a blue moon it seems a simple choice for me especially given issues that the virus can cause however rare that maybe.  An injection once in a blue moon makes it rarer and for the minor inconvenience and no cost seems like a good decision.

So I was just intrigued why you are ok with just two.  I thought it might be based on your qualification background or something because you started the journey with injections having two so not an anti vaccination person so I thought it maybe more based on more than just thinking it was enough, hence why I asked.

Hope that covers my reason for asking, I wasn’t being funny!

So following on from your answer, if you don’t have qualifications why would you not follow expert advice?

I've had no problems with not having the booster, so I have no reason to have this one.

As for listening to advice, I'm hearing  Moderna a pharma company making all the noise of a government sponsored new vaccine, not the experts shouting we will definitely need it.

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I've had no problems with not having the booster, so I have no reason to have this one.

You are of course free to make whatever choice you wish, and I wish you all the best with it.

But this is dumb logic

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

As for listening to advice, I'm hearing  Moderna a pharma company making all the noise of a government sponsored new vaccine, not the experts shouting we will definitely need it.

Ok, thanks for the reply.  I don’t quite get your reasoning but everybody is free to do what they want.  Stay safe mate.

38 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I'm not going to wear a helmet on my bike because last time I didn't wear one and I was fine. I didn't get hit by a car that time, but I reckon I'd be alright anyway.

Exactly the kind of analogy I was going to use. Massively flawed logic but each to their own

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I'm not going to wear a helmet on my bike because last time I didn't wear one and I was fine. I didn't get hit by a car that time, but I reckon I'd be alright anyway.

And literally everyone I know whose fallen off their bike have only got grazed knees,  not one of them has had their head split open like they keep reporting in the media. 

I've got a super hard head anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Massively flawed logic but each to their own

I don't mean to be contrarian, but it's not massively flawed logic. Sure it's not my (or your) logic, but there is logic, just differently weighted.

For example, some things we know. The omicron variant is having a really serious effect on almost no-one who has already been vaxxed, but it is affecting people who are vaxxed and unvaxxed because it largely evades the vaccine (though is milder than previous variants). People can get re-infected pretty soon, too. Unvaxxed people are (allowing for underlying issues and factors) worse hit by the virus.

So you've got a relatively young person, with some lingering anti-bodies against the vaccine, who is unlikely to be seriously harmed if they catch the virus, and who is not going to be much better protected if they do have another jab.

So that sort of logic is the logic used by many many people who are eligible for the flu jab every winter, but don't take up the offer (no, I'm not comparing Flu to Covid, only the logic around vaccinations for the two on a subset of people).

I'll get a booster if offered, but unlike the original stage of Covid, vaccination is much less of a deal now for someone who's already been jabbed and is young(ish).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't mean to be contrarian, but it's not massively flawed logic. Sure it's not my (or your) logic, but there is logic, just differently weighted.

For example, some things we know. The omicron variant is having a really serious effect on almost no-one who has already been vaxxed, but it is affecting people who are vaxxed and unvaxxed because it largely evades the vaccine (though is milder than previous variants). People can get re-infected pretty soon, too. Unvaxxed people are (allowing for underlying issues and factors) worse hit by the virus.

So you've got a relatively young person, with some lingering anti-bodies against the vaccine, who is unlikely to be seriously harmed if they catch the virus, and who is not going to be much better protected if they do have another jab.

So that sort of logic is the logic used by many many people who are eligible for the flu jab every winter, but don't take up the offer (no, I'm not comparing Flu to Covid, only the logic around vaccinations for the two on a subset of people).

I'll get a booster if offered, but unlike the original stage of Covid, vaccination is much less of a deal now for someone who's already been jabbed and is young(ish).

No the logic is “I’ve been ok so far so what’s the point?”. It was explicit  

Much like if I wast going round on a motorbike without a helmet and said the same thing. 

It’s fine if someone doesn’t want the booster. Each to their own. I’m beyond caring. But the logic being demonstrated is massively flawed.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Much like if I wast going round on a motorbike without a helmet and said the same thing. 

It’s fine if someone doesn’t want the booster. Each to their own. I’m beyond caring. But the logic being demonstrated is massively flawed.

It’s not a great analogy though because it turns out some people react to this ‘motorcycle crash’ a lot differently to others. For some the ‘helmet’ is a life saver and for others it was totally unnecessary, many even had a ‘motorcycle accident’ without a ‘helmet’ and didn’t even notice it had happened 😂

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not a great analogy though because it turns out some people react to this ‘motorcycle crash’ a lot differently to others. For some the ‘helmet’ is a life saver and for others it was totally unnecessary, many even had a ‘motorcycle accident’ without a ‘helmet’ and didn’t even notice it had happened 😂

It's not one crash though, it's the small risk of a crash every time you ride. Also, you'll never know if the helmet had an effect or not because there's no possibility of having a controlled experiment - it might appear that the helmet was unnecessary on one occasion because you didn't suffer any obvious head injuries, but you'll never know how it could have played out differently.

Tested positive on Sunday.

Fever, lack of taste and smell, headache, day and night sweats. (Pillow and bed sheet drenched in the mornings)

Hate this virus. It makes me feel uneasy whenever I leave my house because there is always the possibility to catch it no matter how many precautions you take.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I don't see how that makes it a bad analogy?

That literally happens. Some people wear helmets and have accidents and still die. Some people wear helmets and have accidents and are totally fine. Some people don't wear helmets and die. Some people don't wear helmets and survive without a scratch.

The point is the logic of "I've been fine so far so there's no point in wearing one" is bonkers. Nobody would argue that the overwhelming evidence is that motorcycle helmets increase your chances of survival significantly. So even if you've been lucky enough to survive a crash without one, the logic would be that you should start wearing one.

The same applies with the vaccine and boosters.

If someone doesn't want them then fine, I'm not denying them their right to do that. All I'm saying is the logic of "I've been alright so far so there's no point" is, frankly, total bullshit

To my knowledge I've not had it either. But I've lived like a hermit since March 2020. I've, quite literally, in that time, been to the following places, and only the following places, most a handful of times - local corner shop, local pharmacy, post office, doctors, my sister's, my brother's, a local petrol station, local barber.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

In one post that was said , but in his slightly earlier one

Anybody for topping there profits up a couple more billion. Not for me thanks, I think I can manage minor symptoms.

which is where I postulated his logic from

No jabs, no virus, no issues.

I know a lot of people in the same boat.

But apparently it’s like riding a motorbike without a helmet, yeah okay sure.

If it was such a big deal why wasn’t there ever a serious push for mandatory vaccination? Why now do we barely hear about it any more? Why, if it’s so serious has it not made a bigger dent in the population? 

Social media whipped up a perfect storm and people, generally scared to death of death lapped it up.

And where have we landed? Seasonal jabs for at risk and elderly people, so basically treating it exactly as we have the common flu for the past number of decades.

But not having a jab is like taking part in the TT races, with no helmet and no clothes except for a blindfold……..apparently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â