Generic Virus Thread

villakram

had a new lad start at my place on Monday, we were all in the office for training, 7 of us all cooped up in a tiny room for 6 hours two days in a row, he had a mask on the whole time, turns out he had been in close contact with someone who tested positive on Sunday, by Wednesday he was off work with it as well, I haven't done a test as I've been working from home since and haven't been outside since lol, I'm going the cinema either tomorrow or Sunday though so I'll do a test beforehand just to be sure.

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well I was at that open mic night on Thursday - four hours in a rammed full, unventilated pub music room. 

Fingers crossed. 

Pub/restaurant I was at on Wednesday in Brum was absolutely rammed. Tables really close and I was on a table with 15 others or so. 

All good so far. 

Striking new evidence points to Wuhan seafood market as the pandemic's origin point

[..]

Over the weekend, an international team of scientists published two extensive papers online, offering the strongest evidence to date that the COVID-19 pandemic originated in animals at a market in Wuhan, China. Specifically, they conclude that the coronavirus most likely jumped from a caged wild animal into people at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, where a huge COVID-19 outbreak began in December 2019.

Scientists who weren't involved in the research papers are calling the new data "very convincing" and a "blow" to the lab-leak theory — that the virus somehow escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which does research on coronaviruses. In reaction to the papers, they say the newly published data is tipping the scales toward wildlife sold at the market.

"The studies don't exclude other hypotheses entirely," says virologist Jeremy Kamil, who's at Louisiana State University Health Shreveport and was not involved in this research. "But they absolutely are pushing it toward an animal origin."

[...]

The papers are preliminary. They still need to be reviewed by outside scientists. But if the analyses turn out to be accurate, the new data paints an incredibly detailed picture of the early days of the pandemic.

[...]

Evolutionary biologist Michael Worobey helped lead two of the studies and has been at the forefront of the search for the origins of the pandemic. He has spent his career tracking down the origins of pandemics, including the origin of HIV and the 1918 flu.

Back in May, Worobey signed a letter calling for an investigation into the lab-leak theory. But then, through his own investigation, he quickly found data supporting an animal origin.

[...]

NPR: So what is the likelihood of that coincidence happening — that the first cluster of cases occurs at a market that sells animals known to be susceptible to SARS-CoV-2, but the virus didn't actually come from the market?

I would put the odds at 1 in 10,000. But it's interesting. We do have one analysis where we show essentially that the chance of having this pattern of cases [clustered around the market] is 1 in 10 million [if the market isn't a source of the virus]. We consider that strong evidence in science.

The analyses that we've done are telling a very strong story.

The evidence is amongst the best we have for any emerging virus.

[...]

NPR

Very long article on NPR, well worth reading if you have the time

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

NPR

Very long article on NPR, well worth reading if you have the time

Very interesting article. I will have more of a look at the report and the authors at a later date but certainly initially, it's relatively convincing. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2022 at 09:35, mjmooney said:

Well I was at that open mic night on Thursday - four hours in a rammed full, unventilated pub music room. 

Fingers crossed. 

We've been doing that every week for a couple of months now. And packed gig places. No effects at all.

Just now, saturdaygig said:

We've been doing that every week for a couple of months now. And packed gig places. No effects at all.

The duo I was supposed to be playing with next week have cancelled. One of them has covid. 

Genetic study reveals causal link between blood type and COVID severity

Very early in the pandemic doctors began tracking the association between COVID-19 disease severity and a patient’s blood type. Now researchers have validated those early observations, finding several blood proteins are causally linked to an increased risk of hospitalization and death from COVID-19.

Some of the earliest observational studies to come out of Wuhan in 2020 pointed to a correlation between a person’s blood type and their risk of serious illness from a SARS-CoV-2 infection. The general observation was that those with type A blood seemed to be at a much higher risk of hospitalization and death compared to those with type O blood.

[...]

Of course, there are a number of risk factors beyond blood type known to play a role in COVID-19 severity, from age to pre-existing illness. So these findings should not be a cause for concern to those with type A blood.

[...]

New Atlas

7 minutes ago, trekka said:

Interesting.  I haven't looked at the data but the UK Gov Dashboard states hospital admissions have increased by 1.6% over the past week. 

Yes I saw that, the data I posted was England, that might be the anomoly but seems a big difference. 

New infections over the last 7 day's are 28% higher than the corresponding previous 7 day's.

This at a time when tests taken has reduced by 5%

That's a pretty steep upwards trajectory and you can expect it to follow through to new hospital admissions next week and deaths in 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm on the train now and I can't see another mask in the carriage.

People have got overconfident.

Today's 7 day rolling average is now 39% higher than last weeks due to 61,000 new cases today (39,000 last Tuesday) 

This is all going swimmingly. 

If there wasn't a war on the press would be over this like a rash, but it's all being swept under the carpet. 

This whilst testing is down as well so God only knows what the real numbers are. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Today's 7 day rolling average is now 39% higher than last weeks due to 61,000 new cases today (39,000 last Tuesday) 

This is all going swimmingly. 

If there wasn't a war on the press would be over this like a rash, but it's all being swept under the carpet. 

This whilst testing is down as well so God only knows what the real numbers are. 

What are the hospitalisations and death numbers doing? Much more relevant than cases I think nowadays.

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Think positive god dam! We are living with it now, wear a mask if you need too, but stop worrying, it may never disappear fully, we all know that.

same-old-same-old_o_7248351.webp

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â