Generic Virus Thread

villakram

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

That killer vaccine is at it again. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-may-result-in-lower-vulnerable-people-death-toll-compared-to-europe-1371244

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine may result in ‘lower vulnerable people death toll compared to Europe’

This is just "someone says". (Admittedly someone close to the research.)  We need to wait for publication, not press releases.

I hope it's correct though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Great explanation, and I get that but that didn’t answer anything in my comment or question.  We know the rules are a bit screwed up.  My question throughout my comment was reading the menu with glasses.  The only answer I can figure for foreveryoung is that he wears a mask sitting down as well, which is over and above the required rules which I assume is where your point comes in.  Under the current rules, he wouldn’t be reading a menu with a mask on, sitting down.

Or are you arguing about masks generally? Sorry, a little confused? Re good ventilation I agree but we know most places are far from that so as individuals all we can do is look after ourselves and assume some social conscious for others and wear a mask when required.

The point is, in a restaurant setting wearing a mask at any point is utterly futile when for the majority of the time most people will be unmasked. Social distancing will have no effect when the virus is airbourne

Wearing a mask works in say a supermarket setting where everybody will be wearing a mask, that will prevent a good proportion of the virus getting airbourne but in a setting where people are unmasked most of the time it's pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

This is just "someone says". (Admittedly someone close to the research.)  We need to wait for publication, not press releases.

I hope it's correct though.

Yeah, it's just his opinion but interesting nevertheless. As someone said earlier it's something to do with T Cells. He's obviously been close to it and confident enough to voice his hunch. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Got you going though didn't they. 😆

As I remember it, it was you that was complaining about the restrictions that you thought were being brought in

I also remember you saying you were leaving this topic

And now you've returned to rewrite history, you seem to want to gloat about something that didn't happen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

As I remember it, it was you that was complaining about the restrictions that hadn't been brought in

I also remember you saying you were leaving this topic

And now you've returned to rewrite history, you seem to want to gloat about something that didn't happen.

I did leave this topic and enjoyed my Christmas instead of reading all the negatives on here of what might be.

I wasn't complaining they wasn't brought in. I was complaining we didn't need them and the government was over reacting to information they didn't have. 

If I was gloating I would say "ha ha I told you so"!

Many of you constantly complain about our government, but then disregard other countries governments information on Covid, which I didn't.

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I did leave this topic and enjoyed my Christmas instead of reading all the negatives on here of what might be.

I wasn't complaining they wasn't brought in. I was complaining we didn't need them and the government was over reacting to information they didn't have. 

If I was gloating I would say "ha ha I told you so"!

Many of you constantly complain about our government, but then disregard other countries governments information on Covid, which I didn't.

Yes, you were complaining about resitrictions that hadn't been brought in and now you've returned to have some sort of gloat about the restrictions not being brought in but have decided to turn it into something with sides, where you were right and they were wrong, when in fact the reality is, you were wrong all along

Quite frankly, your posts are utterly bizarre

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t understand why? You need a mask off to eat whereas going to the toilet you are likely passing a lot of people and standing in the toilet area with one or two people in a small space.

I don’t know why the mask has to a small percentage of society become such a big issue. Something very simple and not really inconvenient that helps transmission in a pandemic.

Because it makes no difference to anything. I also don't recognise your description of restaurant toilets, there can't have been many occasions in the hundreds or thousands of times I've been to a toilet in a restaurant over my lifetime that I passed a lot of people 'standing in the toilet area'. In nightclubs I've seen that, sure, not many restaurants.

People can of course do this thing to 'help' if they want - I do it too, to follow the rules and not make other people uncomfortable - but it is objectively nonsense from any sort of viral transmission perspective.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes, you were complaining about resitrictions that hadn't been brought in and now you've returned to have some sort of gloat about the restrictions not being brought in but have decided to turn it into something with sides, where you were right and they were srong, when in fact the reality is, you were wrong all along

Quite frankly, your posts are utterly bizarre

Will I find you in the 'Tipple thread later', as I have no idea what your going on about.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I also don't recognise your description of restaurant toilets, there can't have been many occasions in the hundreds or thousands of times I've been to a toilet in a restaurant over my lifetime that I passed a lot of people 'standing in the toilet area'.

Really? I’ve been to restaurants in many countries both posh and working class and many are like you say but many are also when you pass people on the way, like corridors to the toilets, downstairs, off the main room and then in the toilet area there could be a couple of people in smallish toilet or more in a bigger bathroom.  Yes obviously nothing like a nightclub or a late night fast food joint but in restaurants people still have to use the bathroom and thus more than a couple can be in there and more than a couple can cross paths on the way.  Maybe it’s our definitions of “a lot” that is causing the confusion.

I went to a restaurant for the first time in months last week, and I don't think I'll be back, the absurdity of masks on entry/to go to the toilet was highlighted when I could have easily spread my arms out and touched the two tables next to me, I was sat well within a meter of 4 strangers unmasked for an hour or two. I felt genuinely uncomfortable about it. 

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People can of course do this thing to 'help' if they want - I do it too, to follow the rules and not make other people uncomfortable - but it is objectively nonsense from any sort of viral transmission perspective.

Yeah but I’m not sure people will be laughing about it in a few years time as you say.  

Plus if you are in a properly ventilated restaurant then protection from a direct contact using a mask is a help, just unfortunate most restaurants don’t have the sufficient ventilation.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s late December 2021 and the impact of masks are being debated 🤦‍♂️ 

Maybe try contributing to the debate and understand the points being made instead of meaningless comments like this one

I've explained why masks in a restaurant setting are pointless do you have any point that disproves this?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Maybe try contributing to the debate and understand the points being made instead of meaningless comments like this one

I've explained why masks in a restaurant setting are pointless do you have any point that disproves this?

It’s already pretty obvious where the debate is going so I’ll leave you to it. 

The way I see it is this. 

If you are eating at your table and have Covid you might potentially spread it to the people on the tables each side of you.

If you walk to the toilet potentially at the far side of the restaurant passing 6 or 7 tables without a mask you are exhaling Covid over a greater number of people. 

As with most of these things it's trying to have a solution that keeps the restaurant in operation whilst also reducing potential transmission, even by small percentage points. 

A for example 2% saving in transmission doesn't sound like much but taken across every restaurant in the nation it becomes a much bigger number of cases. 

I expect future people are far more likely to look back and laugh about what a bunch of moaning nobs people were. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â