Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I almost feel stupid for finding out I’ve had it and all the grief it’s caused, although nothing like the grief that someone would experience if they lost a loved one through catching it off me. But I reckon a shit load of people more than we know about (like, an order of magnitude) have it, will probably never know, and yet might cause exactly that to happen.

15 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I almost feel stupid for finding out I’ve had it and all the grief it’s caused, although nothing like the grief that someone would experience if they lost a loved one through catching it off me. But I reckon a shit load of people more than we know about (like, an order of magnitude) have it, will probably never know, and yet might cause exactly that to happen.

To be fair, this is the case for any virus. There's no sense developing a neurosis over it.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hopefully it’s the beginning of the end. 

Or is it the end of the beginning?

Wonder what the Pi strain will bring! 

That killer vaccine is at it again. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-may-result-in-lower-vulnerable-people-death-toll-compared-to-europe-1371244

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine may result in ‘lower vulnerable people death toll compared to Europe’

Clive Dix claims the durable cellular immunity response produced by the AZ jab can potentially ‘last for life’

The use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine in vulnerable people may be resulting in a lower death toll in the UK compared to Europe, the former chief of the UK’s vaccine taskforce has claimed.

Clive Dix, who stepped down as interim head in May, claims the durable cellular immunity response produced by the AZ jab can potentially “last for life”.

Mr Dix told The Daily Telegraph: “If you look across Europe, with the rise in cases, there’s also a corresponding lagged rise in deaths, but not in the UK, and we have to understand that.”

He added: “I personally believe that’s because most of our vulnerable people were given the AstraZeneca vaccine.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some day in the not too distant future people are going to be pissing themselves remembering that during the pandemic, we sat at tables in restaurants without masks on but put them on for the trip to the toilet.

I’m sure wearing masks to a public toilet isn’t that bad an idea 😉

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

That killer vaccine is at it again. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-may-result-in-lower-vulnerable-people-death-toll-compared-to-europe-1371244

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine may result in ‘lower vulnerable people death toll compared to Europe’

Good article. There’s a longer version of that interview somewhere in which he talks about the robust t-cell response from that “type” of vaccine. It’s likely that MRNA vaccines are better at producing antibodies whereas an adenoviral vector like AZ, although it might not be as effective against initial infection, gives you better overall and longer lasting protection against severe disease.
(I hope he’s right because I had AZ).

Couple of good articles in the Guardian over the last few days. One from Owen Jones of all people (who’s usually a misery word removed). 

Public support for lockdown measures is disintegrating - a new approach is needed
We must take Covid variants like Omicron seriously, but the cycle of panicked, last-minute rules cannot continue

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/22/omicron-covid-restrictions-young-people

And a somewhat positive slant within this one:

Omicron: bleak new year or beginning of the end for the pandemic?

Scientists are cautiously optimistic that the variant may be a sign the virus is losing its power, despite the high infection figures

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/26/omicron-bleak-new-year-or-beginning-of-the-end-for-the-pandemic

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some day in the not too distant future people are going to be pissing themselves remembering that during the pandemic, we sat at tables in restaurants without masks on but put them on for the trip to the toilet.

I therefore presume you feel we should wear face masks whilst eating? 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don’t understand why? You need a mask off to eat whereas going to the toilet you are likely passing a lot of people and standing in the toilet area with one or two people in a small space.

I don’t know why the mask has to a small percentage of society become such a big issue. Something very simple and not really inconvenient that helps transmission in a pandemic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

They won’t, unless they think it’s possible to eat wearing a mask.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t understand why? You need a mask off to eat whereas going to the toilet you are likely passing a lot of people and standing in the toilet area with one or two people in a small space.

I don’t know why the mask has to a small percentage of society become such a big issue. Something very simple and not really inconvenient that helps transmission in a pandemic.

I'm not advocating not doing iit, certainly not, but it is a inconvenience, putting your glasses on to read is a inconvenience, not a big one but I think people would rather pick a menu up to read without having to wear glasses.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I'm not advocating not doing iit, certainly not, but it is a inconvenience, putting your glasses on to read is a inconvenience, not a big one but I think people would rather pick a menu up to read without having to wear glasses.

When you sit in a restaurant you can then take your mask off so can read the menu. I don’t understand your point.  

Do you read a menu walking around a restaurant? When you go into a restaurant, you sit down, take your mask off, read the menu, waiter brings the food, you eat.  

On the way to the table, leaving the table you wear the mask but sitting down you don’t….what am I missing which relates to your point?

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

One of the single most annoying thing about long sightedness. Especially when you realise you've left your glasses at home because you were only going for a meal after all. 

But yeah, the mask seems to have taken on a symbolism for the "this is all nonsense and I no longer accept" brigade. 

When you get people being attacked for wearing them you know madness has ensued. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

When you sit in a restaurant you can then take your mask off so can read the menu. I don’t understand your point.  

Do you read a menu walking around a restaurant? When you go into a restaurant, you sit down, take your mask off, read the menu, waiter brings the food, you eat.  

On the way to the table, leaving the table you wear the mask but sitting down you don’t….what am I missing which relates to your point?

Your missing the fact that its an airbourne virus and the two meter distancing rule is based on science that was wrong 60 years ago. If you take your mask off for the majority of the time in the restaurant and have the virus you will spread it throughout the restaurant when you are sat at your table, you will get infected by other people whilst sat at your table. The wearing of masks to go to the toilet is therefore pissing in the wind.

The two meter distancing rule is based on the idea that the virus particles are too big to be airbourne because they are above 5 microns (iirc that was the measurement). The 2MDR is based on the particles not being airbourne as they are above 5 microns but its already been proved that they are airbourne, so all the advice given about public places is based on a totally false premise that particles above 5 microns can't be airbourne

Upthread there is an article in Wired that explains it all. The solution isn't about masks and distancing, it is about good ventilation. The advice we've been given by WHO and governments has been wrong the whole time

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Your missing the fact that its an airbourne virus and the two meter distancing rule is based on science that was wrong 60 years ago. If you take your mask off for the majority of the time in the restaurant and have the virus you will spread it throughout the restaurant when you are sat at your table, you will get infected by other people whilst sat at your table. The wearing of masks to go to the toilet is therefore pissing in the wind.

The two meter distancing rule is based on the idea that the virus particles are too big to be airbourne because they are above 5 microns (iirc that was the measurement). The 2MDR is based on the particles not being airbourne as they are above 5 microns but its already been proved that they are airbourne, so all the advice given about public places is based on a totally false premise that particles above 5 microns can't be airbourne

Upthread there is an article in Wired that explains it all. The solution isn't about masks and distancing, it is about good ventilation. The advice we've been given by WHO and governments has been wrong the whole time

Great explanation, and I get that but that didn’t answer anything in my comment or question.  We know the rules are a bit screwed up.  My question throughout my comment was reading the menu with glasses.  The only answer I can figure for foreveryoung is that he wears a mask sitting down as well, which is over and above the required rules which I assume is where your point comes in.  Under the current rules, he wouldn’t be reading a menu with a mask on, sitting down.

Or are you arguing about masks generally? Sorry, a little confused? Re good ventilation I agree but we know most places are far from that so as individuals all we can do is look after ourselves and assume some social conscious for others and wear a mask when required.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â