Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

So in South Africa they think the peak of the wave there is in a week or two - a really fast rise in December and now it is stalling quickly as well - and with no lock down measures. Anecdotal evidence of its milder nature is now being reinforced by two weeks worth of data. Absolutely impossible to know what will happen here, but we only have a few million more people in our population. We shall have to wait and see. 

FB_IMG_1639320327892.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

So in South Africa they think the peak of the wave there is in a week or two - a really fast rise in December and now it is stalling quickly as well - and with no lock down measures. Anecdotal evidence of its milder nature is now being reinforced by two weeks worth of data. Absolutely impossible to know what will happen here, but we only have a few million more people in our population. We shall have to wait and see. 

Not disputing what you say. But how can the symptoms be milder after 2 weeks. I would have thought the hospital cases are people who just can't  shift the virus and therefore end up hospital. I would have thought people would have had covid for at least 10 days before hospilisation is considered ? .

Too early to tell how sick it can make people imo.

The fact is South Africa are reporting mild Flu symptoms not even worth medication, an we are reporting get the booster the end of the world is nigh!

I'm not even bothering with the booster, not that it's due just yet, but seems like the UK going made over mild cold symptons.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seems a bit too convenient that the new very dangerous variant hits us around the same time you need a booster that is effective against it.

I think I’ll take my chances thanks.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The fact is South Africa are reporting mild Flu symptoms not even worth medication, an we are reporting get the booster the end of the world is nigh!

I'm not even bothering with the booster, not that it's due just yet, but seems like the UK going made over mild cold symptons.

Seriously, what the **** are you so worried about with another jab? 

This attitude just baffles me. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You really shouldn't be basing your decision on what any one variant is currently like

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Seriously, what the **** are you so worried about with another jab? 

This attitude just baffles me. 

No ones worried, I never said that. I thought it best have the booster when the killer variant comes.

Saying this though, I'll probably have it when I get pinged.

Edited by foreveryoung

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not disputing what you say. But how can the symptoms be milder after 2 weeks. I would have thought the hospital cases are people who just can't  shift the virus and therefore end up hospital. I would have thought people would have had covid for at least 10 days before hospilisation is considered ? .

Too early to tell how sick it can make people imo.

Not all of them, no. A lot of the cases - early estimates were around 70% - were of people who were admitted to hospital for other reasons.

What happens is when you go to hospital for any length of time, for whatever reason, they usually test you for covid. This is because most hospitals segregate covid-positive patients, whether they are symptomatic or not. So a lot of the cases being reported are people who have gone in with broken bones or to give birth or whatever.

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Well at least someone’s making a hell of a lot of money out of this.

• Like 1

The address tonight will be telling everyone to get their boosters, be careful when having Christmas parties etc or face a lockdown.  I see the COVID alert level has been raised from 3 to 4 (remember that?). It seems to me that whilst we're not yet in a lockdown, the Government are preparing the nation before saying "we told you so" when the inevitable happens. 

Oh, and I'll be having a shot of vodka for every time he uses the word "alas", mentions "national endeavour" or "race against time".   

Edited by trekka

18 minutes ago, trekka said:

The address tonight will be telling everyone to get their boosters, be careful when having Christmas parties etc or face a lockdown.  I see the COVID alert level has been raised from 3 to 4 (remember that?). It seems to me that whilst we're not yet in a lockdown, the Government are preparing the nation before saying "we told you so" when the inevitable happens. 

Oh, and I'll be having a shot of vodka for every time he uses the word "alas", mentions "national endeavour" or "race against time".   

I’m having a shot every time he says booster. I feel like getting drunk today. 

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not all of them, no. A lot of the cases - early estimates were around 70% - were of people who were admitted to hospital for other reasons.

What happens is when you go to hospital for any length of time, for whatever reason, they usually test you for covid. This is because most hospitals segregate covid-positive patients, whether they are symptomatic or not. So a lot of the cases being reported are people who have gone in with broken bones or to give birth or whatever.

Agreed - but I think that's a different point.

The point I was making that it's to early to assess the severity of omricon and its likely impact on hospilisation cases.

You get covid are ill for around 10 days then either recover or detoriate sometimes needing hospital treatment.

The won't yet be many people who are 10+ days into an omricon episode. So we don't yet know what % of omricon infections require hospital treatment.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well Johnson’s broadcast might be about booster jabs.

But just in case it’s not, I’ve been swotting up on countries and their capital cities.

Good luck everyone.

I thought it was an invite to a party ?

Just now, hippo said:

Agreed - but I think that's a different point.

The point I was making that it's to early to assess the severity of omricon and its likely impact on hospilisation cases.

You get covid are ill for around 10 days then either recover or detoriate sometimes needing hospital treatment.

The won't yet be many people who are 10+ days into an omricon episode. So we don't yet know what % of omricon infections require hospital treatment.

There are lots of people in South Africa who are more than ten days in at this point, and so far the evidence seems to be suggesting that it's much milder and leads to less severe illness. Doctors in hospitals have seen a lot of covid patients at this point, and those on the scene seem pretty sanguine about it, compared to previous waves.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There are lots of people in South Africa who are more than ten days in at this point, and so far the evidence seems to be suggesting that it's much milder and leads to less severe illness. Doctors in hospitals have seen a lot of covid patients at this point, and those on the scene seem pretty sanguine about it, compared to previous waves.

Are there ? - I don't recall the timeline but thought the first case was only around 2 weeks ago.

It's transmission + severity though. A small % of the UK population (62m) requiring hospital treatment condensed into a few months will put massive pressure on NHS admissions.

Edit Just checked initial sources:-

SA saying hospitalisations generally 3-4 weeks after infection. Way to go yet.

Edited by hippo

10 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

My 4 year old daughter has tested positive tonight after 4 staff at her nursery tested positive in the week. Absolutely crapping myself now as I'm immunosuppressed, even though triple jabbed. Did one of the antibody tests and I've not created any.

Selfishly speaking now, please get the boosters if you can. People like me have lived in fear of this since it hit.

Stay safe and give your daughter a big hug when she’s all clear!

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â