Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

It's almost like masks are meaningless and lockdowns somewhat less so, and that a winter respiratory virus is acting all like a winter respiratory virus.

Oh, the humanity!

That is one way of looking at it.

Another way is that without masks and lockdowns/restrictions a winter respiratory virus would be spreading at two or three times the rate it is now, with two or three times as many people in hospitals, resulting in hospitals becoming completely overwhelmed, and two or three times the amount of deaths. 

I am pulling the two/three times figure out of my arse by the way it could be four, five, six times but I'm confident in saying it would be spreading far faster than it is now without any restrictions. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That is one way of looking at it.

Another way is that without masks and lockdowns/restrictions a winter respiratory virus would be spreading at two or three times the rate it is now, with two or three times as many people in hospitals, resulting in hospitals becoming completely overwhelmed, and two or three times the amount of deaths. 

I am pulling the two/three times figure out of my arse by the way it could be four, five, six times but I'm confident in saying it would be spreading far faster than it is now without any restrictions. 

Sure people would get sick, but the deaths thing has been well under control since the summer in the US, with the death rate being well below that seen in early days. Most other places are trending similarly. It's almost like we are capable of learning... in some respects at least. As it was then, so it is now, with deaths being dominated by the very old.

13 hours ago, villakram said:

Sure people would get sick, but the deaths thing has been well under control since the summer in the US, with the death rate being well below that seen in early days. Most other places are trending similarly. It's almost like we are capable of learning... in some respects at least. As it was then, so it is now, with deaths being dominated by the very old.

Your avatar is very suitable because it seems there is very little humanity in your soul. What a malignant attitude to take to the deaths of tens of thousands of people, many of whom were previously enjoying fulfilling and active lives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Your avatar is very suitable because it seems there is very little humanity in your soul. What a malignant attitude to take to the deaths of tens of thousands of people, many of whom were previously enjoying fulfilling and active lives.

It’s the US, it’s not even tens of thousands, it’s hundreds of thousands.

335,000 dead with that figure going up at about 2,000 deaths per day. The very definition of under control.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My frontline doctor neighbour says that the vunerability of men rather than women is very noticeable. 

General levels of health tend to be worse in men and the stronger immune response men tend to have illnesses actually contributes to the lethality of this kind of disease.

Same thing happened with Spanish flu, SARS etc etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

In an ideal world, we'd have kept hold of the nightingale hospitals and spent the last 9 months figuring out how to effectively staff them when the inevitable winter spike came.

Did we close the Nightingale hospitals? I assumed they were still available.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Correct,  not used but still there. Its almost like they knew it would get worse in the winter. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not certain about all of them, but the ones in London and Wales were quietly dismantled a couple of months ago. I know a couple of the others, including Exeter are now being used as test centres instead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t see the full story but the little bullet point on the BBC page says Spain will keep a register of people who refuse the vaccine. Good idea, I hope we do that here too. 

They are circulating it around fellow EU members. 

I think they will stop people travelling who haven't had it. A good incentive for the divs. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They are circulation it around fellow EU members. 

I think they will stop people travelling who haven't had it. A good incentive for the divs. 

Oh this is going to trigger the "freeeeedom" crowd a treat. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Oh this is going to trigger the "freeeeedom" crowd a treat. 

Whilst ignoring that they are perfectly free to not travel and free to take a decision to protect themselves and others if they do want to exercise their freedom to travel. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Correct,  not used but still there. Its almost like they knew it would get worse in the winter. 

Not all of them, two of the worst affected areas, Wales and London, were quietly decomissioned, and it won't be quick or cheap job to spin them back up if we want to.

No source for the Wales one, but the London closure got a bit of coverage last week when a nob from the Brexit party tried to whip up a bit of a fuss about it. 

Forgive the alarmist tabloid except, it's not getting coverage from any reputable outlets. I can assure you it's true in at least the cases of London, Wales and Exeter though. They were stripped of their kit in mid October. I'm unsure of the status of the others, but if these ones were silently closed down, it makes me wonder how many of the others are on standby if they're needed.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nightingale-hospitals-pictured-lying-empty-23210013

Shocking photos show the UK's flagship Nightingale Hospital lying empty as coronavirus cases continue to rocket.

The temporary hospital appears to be stripped bare despite the new mutant Covid that grips the country.

A total 4,000 beds could be offered at the east London facility but photos show empty rooms without staff or lifesaving equipment.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â