Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Agreed & we only need approximately 75 % take up and that's it,  job done.

It can't spread anymore anyway once that level is achieved as it has nowhere to go.

It's likely much less given the very specific vulnerable population and the large proportion of people who have already been exposed to this. We should be pretty much in the clear by easter.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I say this as someone who will be taking the vaccine as soon as I am allowed, to speed up the return to normal life and reduce the suffering caused by both the virus and the lockdowns: I don't think it's a good idea to communicate with skeptics in these terms. There have been a lot of studies done in the realm of public health communication around vaccines, and time after time they show that a direct, confrontational approach simply doesn't work. People shut down, and it ends the conversation.

It's frustrating and it's hard, but it's important to communicate the benefits of vaccination in a non-judgemental way.

I'm sorry, I'm no psychologist, I am seeing things that worry me a lot and I am just reacting with my opinion.

I know education is probably the best way but the overwhelming evidence is already there.  People just don't want to listen. 

Honestly 150 years ago we lived in a world where there were dozens of deadly diseases circulated that science has eradicated. Any kind of cut to the skin could be fatal yet people actually seem to distrust doctors coming up with new solutions which have been peer reviewed by thousands of other doctors globally and gone through rigorous approval regimes (in multiple countries) 

I just don't understand people.  We might as well have stayed as cavemen. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm sorry, I'm no psychologist, I am seeing things that worry me a lot and I am just reacting with my opinion.

I know education is probably the best way but the overwhelming evidence is already there.  People just don't want to listen. 

Honestly 150 years ago we lived in a world where there were dozens of deadly diseases circulated that science has eradicated. Any kind of cut to the skin could be fatal yet people actually seem to distrust doctors coming up with new solutions which have been peer reviewed by thousands of other doctors globally and gone through rigorous approval regimes (in multiple countries) 

I'm not anti-vax despite what you might think due to my stance on Covid. I just don't believe that a healthy, fit person should need to take a vaccine for something that has a huge survival rate. We have immune systems - let them do their job like they do with common colds, flu's etc... if you're not in the 'vulnerable' group then I don't see why you would want it.

BUT, if it makes you feel better and you want to take the vaccine, that's up to you. I'm not going to try and sway you from taking it.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I most definitely agree with the education part of your post. It's absolutely critical that all agencies involved in delivering the vaccine, the government, NHS, pharmaceuticals, etc all get as much critical information out as soon as possible. 5 min broadcasts on TV, adverts, letters, social media. Just keep banging the drum.

I'm in the critical risk group, and like you I see things that worry me a lot because I'm very obviously biased. I've spoken with immunologists, professors, and doctors and they've all said one thing above all else that convinces me. They're having the vaccine. The information and people willing to speak up for the vaccine are there, but at the moment the onus is on us as individuals to find the information out. This has to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm getting shit from my family for refusing to visit over Christmas, but balls to that, in that house they've got 3 kids, at 3 different schools, and 3 people that work in jobs going out and about dirctly interacting with the public. Nope. That house is a superspreader event waiting to happen, I'll stick to Skype until we're vaccinated thanks. 

Christmas dinner for one and a posh wank it is. 

My wife was telling me that the other day when she was chatting to her mate she was saying that Christmas Day she’s spending it with her mums family and dads family (divorced). Boxing Day is with her fellas mum and aunties family. Day after they are going up north to see her father in law and cousin in law.

She didn’t think it was 3 households total for the period. She just thought that 3 households could mix at any one time, but you could hop in and out as many times as you want during the 5 days.

I suspect there are quite a few who think this too, and it’ll cause carnage.

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm not anti-vax despite what you might think due to my stance on Covid. I just don't believe that a healthy, fit person should need to take a vaccine for something that has a huge survival rate. We have immune systems - let them do their job like they do with common colds, flu's etc... if you're not in the 'vulnerable' group then I don't see why you would want it.

BUT, if it makes you feel better and you want to take the vaccine, that's up to you. I'm not going to try and sway you from taking it.

It's not really to protect you or me, it's more to try and stop the spread so it doesn't get to people who are more vulnerable but can't be vaccinated themselves (for whatever reason). We go through a relatively small inconvenience which could actually then save another persons life. 

Realistically though, if you are not in a risk group it will likely be months before you have an option to take it. I think the US was hoping to get round to everyone by September at the earliest. 

• Like 2

IIRC Boris and co wanted to go with a unified approach at Christmas for all the UK nations. Did it happen in the end? Or is the 3 family, unlimited people for 5 days their approach that Wales/Scotland/NI didn’t buy into?

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It's not really to protect you or me, it's more to try and stop the spread so it doesn't get to people who are more vulnerable but can't be vaccinated themselves (for whatever reason). We go through a relatively small inconvenience which could actually then save another persons life. 

Realistically though, if you are not in a risk group it will likely be months before you have an option to take it. I think the US was hoping to get round to everyone by September at the earliest. 

That's surely what the social distancing measures are in place for though? To reduce the risk of spread to the people who are vulnerable. Which I am doing.

What doesn't help is all the people who go to the Supermarkets, pick stuff up, roll it all around their hands and then put it back on the shelf. Can't avoid shit like that can ya?

6 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

What doesn't help is all the people who go to the Supermarkets, pick stuff up, roll it all around their hands and then put it back on the shelf. Can't avoid shit like that can ya?

In that case, what if there's someone who does act like that in a supermarket, but they've had the vaccine? All you'd end up with is some sweaty goods (oo-er).

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

In that case, what if there's someone who does act like that in a supermarket, but they've had the vaccine? All you'd end up with is some sweaty goods (oo-er).

According to reports theres nothing stopping you getting it and spreading after the vaccine anyway, it just reduces the severity of your reaction to it. So makes no difference

15 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

That's surely what the social distancing measures are in place for though? To reduce the risk of spread to the people who are vulnerable. Which I am doing.

The aim is to end social distancing measures as soon as possible, so that people can do the things they want to do. I'm looking forward to seeing my friends, going to the cinema on a Saturday night, going to a nightclub, going to a spa. I'm sure we all have things we're keen to do. Once a sufficient number of people are vaccinated, social distancing measures won't be necessary any more. It's important that the era of social distancing be over as soon as it can be, as it is having a hugely negative effect on people's mental health.

With regard to your second line, it might hopefully be of some relief if I tell you that no study has suggested that picking up the virus from surfaces is a major source of transmission for this virus.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I am diabetic so will become ill if someone passes it on to me.  I will get the vaccine (even though there is apparently no such thing as the vaccine) as soon as I can. 

Only problem is it isn't 100% effective so I would rather other people got themselves vaccinated to avoid me and my parents coming into contact with the disease in the first instance. 

I don't want to find out that hard way that I am one of the 5 in 100 it doesn't protect. 

51 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

We have immune systems - let them do their job like they do with common colds, flu's etc... if you're not in the 'vulnerable' group then I don't see why you would want it.

I thought this early on. Since then a couple of friends have been suffering from the long form. It's really not funny, and scarily it played a part in a road accident.

Now I'll be weighing up the different vaccine options next year. Will pay for the one I want, if I don't fancy what's on offer from the state?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

I thought this early on. Since then a couple of friends have been suffering from the long form. It's really not funny, and scarily it played a part in a road accident.

Now I'll be weighing up the different vaccine options next year. Will pay for the one I want, if I don't fancy what's on offer from the state?

This is the thing.  People still think it's old/infirm/health conditions people who get really ill. 

There are a lot of younger fit people currently suffering from long covid.  I can't understand why you would risk that. 

Everyone clapping the NHS then failing to take a little jab that will mean you don't need months or years of treatment for your dodgy lungs. 

It's like sliding down a zip wire without a safety harness because you think you've got strong arms and a hard head. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's like sliding down a zip wire without a safety harness because you think you've got strong arms and a hard head. 

You mean that's not the way you're supposed to do it?

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There are a lot of younger fit people currently suffering from long covid.

She's fit in every sense of the word. Was a cheerleader for Harlequins, if anyone should be able to shrug off an illness? It's her.

The joints on her legs and arms still randomly swell up after initial infection around April.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xann said:

She's fit in every sense of the word. Was a cheerleader for Harlequins, if anyone should be able to shrug off an illness? It's her.

The joints on her legs and arms still randomly swell up after initial infection around April.

pics-or-it-5b96f5.jpg

• Haha 1

So apparently if you are young and fit you have nothing to worry about. 

Maybe Newcastle need to improve their training regime 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55322881

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce said two of his players are "not well at all" after contracting coronavirus.

An outbreak forced the club's training ground to close for a week, while a game at Aston Villa was postponed.

Bruce has not named those who are still suffering, or how many tested positive.

"If you ever underestimated this thing then don't, because you're talking about elite professionals here and the way it got a hold of everybody was quite scary stuff," said Bruce.

"For everybody out there, for goodness' sake, stay safe. I know it's Christmas but after what we've just witnessed then you've got to be careful."

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Sounds like Gout

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â