Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

How can we blame Boris for this?!  It's not his fault some people are continously refusing to wear masks, that conspiracy theorists are taking off left, right an centre and not listening to his clear and concise messages from March - It's not his fault we allowed 5,000 Atheltico Madrid fans to Liverpool in March, it's not his fault we let 250,000 people go an have a good time in Cheltenham (some of the donkey's on here as well!) despite we could see what was happening 20 miles across the channel and in Italy.  It's not his fault the scientists can't get it right and that he has to protect his personal friends because they're not listening to him either.

HOw CaN anY Of ThiS bE BOjo'S FaUlT?!

sGC4IAZ.gif

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The first cruise ship excursion in the Caribbean since March has be halted because....there was a Covid-19 outbreak on board. You seriously have to be dumb as a doorknob to get on a cruise ship right now. They should just torpedo the boat and call it a day. **** idiots.

Name the torpedo ‘Natural Selection’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

The first cruise ship excursion in the Caribbean since March has be halted because....there was a Covid-19 outbreak on board. You seriously have to be dumb as a doorknob to get on a cruise ship right now. They should just torpedo the boat and call it a day. **** idiots.

Genuinely can't believe how many morons I know that have been on holiday over the last few months. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea you idiocy sponges. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

If we'd have done it PROPERLY at any point, the virus would be extinct - people are too **** stupid to realise.

Shut down EVERYTHING for 1 month, it's gone. 

the economy will suffer WAY more as we are seeing, if we keep farting around, opening and closing things on a whim.

It's **** pathetic. 

IMO it won't ever go away until we have a tried and tested vaccine. 

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Genuinely can't believe how many morons I know that have been on holiday over the last few months. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea you idiocy sponges. 

But I DESERVE my holiday abroad... is the mentality people have. Then moan when they have to quarantine when they get home because the country they are in has been taken off the 'safe' list. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

But I DESERVE my holiday abroad... is the mentality people have. Then moan when they have to quarantine when they get home because the country they are in has been taken off the 'safe' list. 

But they've paid, Xela :( 

Some of these clearings in the woods would take a one way flight in to the sun if the deposit was non refundable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Milfner said:

Just had a patient turn up for an appointment despite her son who she lives with testing positive yesterday. How aren't people still getting this? 

Yep, a woman turned up in my missus’ office today to ask what to do as she’d tested positive.

I can never decide if people are genuinely thick, or deliberately choose to be thick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Elon Musk reckons he’s taken 4 tests in one day and two have come back positive and two negative.

Im currently sat in a private hospital having had some minor surgery this morning and it transpires that the staff here are tested once every two weeks.

You’d think they would be tested daily but then that might show up the tests for what they actually are potentially. I always found it odd that we magically came up with a way to prove that people have COVID-19 when we’ve never previously been able to test for any other of the COVID family of viruses (flu, cold etc), at least not to my knowledge anyway.

What if it did transpire that the tests are totally redundant and random, where would that leave us? 

From purely anecdotal evidence I don’t think this can be the case. 

I know quite a few people who have had tests now (including me twice) and the only ones who have had positive results are the ones with obvious covid symptoms (loss of taste and smell, fatigue, cough)

Not saying the tests are perfect or there aren’t issues, and my sample size is obviously tiny, but I very much doubt they’re that redundant

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know quite a few people who have had tests now (including me twice) and the only ones who have had positive results are the ones with obvious covid symptoms (loss of taste and smell, fatigue, cough)

Not saying the tests are perfect or there aren’t issues, and my sample size is obviously tiny, but I very much doubt they’re that redundant

I had coronavirus symptoms and two tests came back negative. 🤷‍♂️

I played safe and didn’t go out.

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

If we'd have done it PROPERLY at any point, the virus would be extinct - people are too **** stupid to realise.

Shut down EVERYTHING for 1 month, it's gone. 

the economy will suffer WAY more as we are seeing, if we keep farting around, opening and closing things on a whim.

It's **** pathetic. 

I dont that would have eradicated it. Even with a vaccine this virus with never be eradicated. From what I heard smallpox is the only virus that has completely gone away. 

Smallpox is the only human virus to have been knowingly eradicated. That was an extremely huge operation - including ludicrously intensive stuff like performing tens of millions of house visits across India for years - but was one that easily justified. Smallpox was an horrific disease - it killed 1 in 3 that caught it. Covid-19 kills around 1 in 100 (with higher rates of lasting effects in survivors). It's unlikely that the same effort would be made for Covid-19, it's not dangerous enough.

However, as a thought experiment, it's possible that you could eradicate Covid-19 without a vaccine. The virus survives by spreading. Because of that, if you could 'stop the world' for around a month, by which you mean effectively placing everyone under house arrest with no exceptions, it would burn out. Infected people would either recover or die and the virus would be unable to spread as households didn't interact. 

Unfortunately, you can't do that. You couldn't ensure compliance, and there's a distinct moral issue of allowing people to die knowingly. But on paper, it could work. Lockdowns themselves are in essence mini attempts at the same thing, killing the viruses ability to spread by reducing interaction to try to slow it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Redundant may be a step too far but patchy and inconsistent?

As soon as your test positive you’re told to self isolate so you don’t get tested again for a while, I don’t know, Elon musk is a nutcase so prob bullshit but I just wouldn’t be surprised if it came out that percentage of accurate test results are anywhere even close to 100%

• Like 1

I've seen some theatres advertising Panto starting on 3rd December, and restaurants offering Christmas meal bookings from the third too. They've got to try, I suppose, but they're almost certainly in for a disappointment. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â