Generic Virus Thread

villakram

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Every time this Magna Carta shite pops up, I wonder yet again if these morons are genuine morons that actually believe it, or just every day dickheads happy to join in with any dickheadery just for the lolz.

I am afraid it crops up regularly.  Anyone with a basic legal training just laughs.  There are numerous examples of people using the Magna Carta defence only to be told that it’s completely invalid.  From memory there are only a couple of parts that are still valid. 

One of my favourite legal in-jokes is “Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you.  Did she die in vain.”  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It is a weird obsession, this need to punish students.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone call for pensions to be stopped or van drivers’ vans to be seized or anything broadly equivalent.

They don't vote and everyone hates them.

Perfect target.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone call for pensions to be stopped or van drivers’ vans to be seized or anything broadly equivalent.

With the greatest respect the old have paid with their lives. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

With the greatest respect the old have paid with their lives. 

And this is due to students, how? 

Not content with expelling them from their 9,000 a year courses, now they stand accused of murder.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

And this is due to students, how? 

Not content with expelling them from their 9,000 a year courses, now they stand accused of murder.

never said that and I don't think its fair for students to get the blame either 

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Not all of them, just the hundreds that are breaking the coronavirus regulations which will certainly lead to illness, critical illness and deaths. 
Doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not all of them, just the hundreds that are breaking the coronavirus regulations which will certainly lead to illness, critical illness and deaths. 
Doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

Do you think it unreasonable to take similar sanction against anyone else?

If a pensioner is chatting in Asda or has a mask slung jauntily under their nose, or doesn’t wash their hands after a slash in Wetherspoons, surely we should hit them with sanctions over and above what the stated fines are?

We should seize the cars and vans of delivery drivers if they are seen out after their shift doing something wrong?

Or just students?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am afraid it crops up regularly.  Anyone with a basic legal training just laughs.  There are numerous examples of people using the Magna Carta defence only to be told that it’s completely invalid.  From memory there are only a couple of parts that are still valid

Only four of the 63 clauses in Magna Carta are still valid today - 1 (part), 13, 39 and 40

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The circuit breaker in Wales doesn't seem to be having much effect yet!

The figures are not great, and it was always weird that you have to self isolate for 2 weeks, but the breaker was also essentially 2 weeks. It always felt like it should have been longer and I suspect it probably would have been, had the crystal ball shown what Johnson was going to do.

I do take a little comfort from the figures. And it is a little. Depending on where you measure from, the number of cases from end of September to end of October roughly tripled or quadrupled. The figures from the last 10 or 11 days have gone up about 40 or 50%

Weekend figures are flaky, but this was the first weekend in months where the figure was lower than the previous weekend.

I guess if you were stretching, you could see a slow down in the increase? 

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Do you think it unreasonable to take similar sanction against anyone else?

If a pensioner is chatting in Asda or has a mask slung jauntily under their nose, or doesn’t wash their hands after a slash in Wetherspoons, surely we should hit them with sanctions over and above what the stated fines are?

We should seize the cars and vans of delivery drivers if they are seen out after their shift doing something wrong?

Or just students?

I don’t have anything against students. I am all for treating everybody equally. If pensioners were acting in the same way that students were acting in places like Liverpool and Nottingham then I’d see no issue with them getting a punishment.

Likewise if a student had piss and didn’t wash his or her hands for the full 20 seconds, or had a mask just below their nose I’d probably turn a blind eye.

Its not about students, it’s about people behaving recklessly endangering people’s health in a pandemic. They just happen to be students in this case.

Just now, Genie said:

I don’t have anything against students. I am all for treating everybody equally. If pensioners were acting in the same way that students were acting in places like Liverpool and Nottingham then I’d see no issue with them getting a punishment.

Likewise if a student had piss and didn’t wash his or her hands for the full 20 seconds, or had a mask just below their nose I’d probably turn a blind eye.

Its not about students, it’s about people behaving recklessly endangering people’s health in a pandemic. They just happen to be students in this case.

So what equivalent punishment would you give others, over and above the fines?

Would you sack them if they turned out not to be students, but nurses or car mechanics?

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The figures are not great, and it was always weird that you have to self isolate for 2 weeks, but the breaker was also essentially 2 weeks. It always felt like it should have been longer and I suspect it probably would have been, had the crystal ball shown what Johnson was going to do.

I do take a little comfort from the figures. And it is a little. Depending on where you measure from, the number of cases from end of September to end of October roughly tripled or quadrupled. The figures from the last 10 or 11 days have gone up about 40 or 50%

Weekend figures are flaky, but this was the first weekend in months where the figure was lower than the previous weekend.

I guess if you were stretching, you could see a slow down in the increase? 

Guess its still early. If its working then we should see a significant drop in new cases by next weekend. 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

So what equivalent punishment would you give others, over and above the fines?

Would you sack them if they turned out not to be students, but nurses or car mechanics?

If I were caught breaking the rules in a way that endangered peoples whilst the viral footage had me wearing my employers uniform I expect I’d be getting some disciplinary action up to dismissal.

Theres no excuse for that kind of behaviour. They are old enough to know better and to deal with the fall out.

Just now, PaulC said:

Guess its still early. If its working then we should see a significant drop in new cases by next weekend. 

That’s true. My gut feeling, based on what I’m seeing around town, is that it isn’t going to reduce sufficiently to give us much more than a few weeks reprieve.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

we should see a significant drop in new cases by next weekend.

I very doubt it. They'll keep going up for a good while yet, I reckon. I would think 2 months till they get back to where they are today, based on last time - they'll keep rising for 2 or 3 weeks, then start to drop back down I would think because of the lag between locking down on next Thursday, new cases still growing, then those people taking a week or so to get symptoms, then people they in turn infect getting symptoms from isolating with family members who have it....

edit - this comment is for England. I think you're right about the Whales.

Â