Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I noticed that same thing.

The Welsh one is in the same Samba group as my nipper and she gets a little cheer from us every evening. Scotland, Germany, New Zealand... everywhere except one.

I personally know the reason why central UK government doesn't use a signer for their daily briefings. It's because they have been told there's no point. The deaf may not be able to hear but they do have the powers to smell bullshit, even through a TV!

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s a bunch of bollocks anyway.

I don’t need to be at Villa Park to be a Villa fan, religious folk don’t need to be in a church to be religious, I don’t need to stand on my doorstep and clap at 8pm on a Thursday to be appreciative of all that the NHS etc are doing right now.

I don’t see any benefit in criticising anyone who chooses not to clap or to clap.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So we think my Mrs has got it, (frontline health worker). She's been feeling a little under the weather but has had hayfever too so just put it down to that. I on the other hand said she needs to isolate and go off work just to be on the safe side. Although she didnt want to, they sent her home from work last night, (they are not to busy anyway apparently, as inpatients have slowed and everyone else has died). She is still convinced she hasn't got it as no fever or cough, but the hospital she works at are sending someone out in the next couple of days to test us. So we wait with anxiety. 

I am sorry to read that and hope that your better half is OK and doesn't actually have the virus. If she does have it, I hope she can get through it without many problems.

It's best to be safe than to be sorry and at least she will have the test done so will have that peace of mind either way.

On the other hand, I am working in a non-essential company and people are coughing and have many symptoms etc but still showing up to work. One woman went home crying last Wednesday and had all kinds of signs as well as aching teeth and gums. She said she called her |G|P and he told her she needs to see a dentist but they're closed so she couldn't. Tuesday, she returned to work (same day as me) and said she is dosing up on pain-killers until she can be seen. I told her the symptoms that I suffered during my absence and illness with the virus and after 3 or 4 of them she said "I've been having that too" to which I replied "maybe you shouldn't be here". Today, she called in sick! That is why IMO the lockdown needed to be more widespread to prevent situations where non-essential workers could spread it around the colleagues within the workforce.

• Like 2

On a more positive note; Kings College London, who are running a symptom tracker app, contacted me today to ask me to continue to update my symptoms (I was doing this whilst off work but stopped now that I seem OK) as they say it is important in their efforts to fight the pandemic. The email also says something like 2 million had said they were suffering the symptoms a couple of weeks ago and now it stands at less than 600k.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So we think my Mrs has got it, (frontline health worker). She's been feeling a little under the weather but has had hayfever too so just put it down to that. I on the other hand said she needs to isolate and go off work just to be on the safe side. Although she didnt want to, they sent her home from work last night, (they are not to busy anyway apparently, as inpatients have slowed and everyone else has died). She is still convinced she hasn't got it as no fever or cough, but the hospital she works at are sending someone out in the next couple of days to test us. So we wait with anxiety. 

Fingers crossed she doesn’t have it. Without a fever and/or cough, hopefully feeling under the weather will pass quickly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

On a more positive note; Kings College London, who are running a symptom tracker app, contacted me today to ask me to continue to update my symptoms (I was doing this whilst off work but stopped now that I seem OK) as they say it is important in their efforts to fight the pandemic. The email also says something like 2 million had said they were suffering the symptoms a couple of weeks ago and now it stands at less than 600k.

Yeah I'm using that, forgot to update it after the first go, got email, updated, and it says symptoms reported are down 70%. Don't know if that's because we're all less jumpy - but it sort of concurs with sense - i.e. lockdown should really have worked by now, I wonder what the true rate of infection is at the moment - part of me thinks it's pretty small. 

46 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah I'm using that, forgot to update it after the first go, got email, updated, and it says symptoms reported are down 70%. Don't know if that's because we're all less jumpy - but it sort of concurs with sense - i.e. lockdown should really have worked by now, I wonder what the true rate of infection is at the moment - part of me thinks it's pretty small. 

The milder symptoms are so close to a common cold that many people would have self-reported that. Now most of us haven't been near ANY viral infections for a few weeks so there will be no symptoms. Even my kids haven't got snotty noses for the first time ever!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Less international connectivity, less internal mobility and less reporting/monitoring infrastructure. 

It will eventually hit those countries the hardest (imagine a population in Africa with significant levels of HIV infection, like Kenya and South Africa), but will likely take far longer to spread. 

Those countries will also present significant vectors for reinfection unless international travel is more strictly controlled. 

There is also an element of ‘we don’t know’. It could be that the climate in these countries means that they are less affected or it could be that they have a relatively young population and so will be spared compared to Europe, or it could be that they are going to be hit hard and it’s just taking longer to reach them, as you say. At this stage we really don’t know though. 

HMG might be in a political storm when the ONS publish final mortality figures. The decision to only report hospital-related deaths may have been politically convenient two weeks ago, but will blow up when the figures come out all at once.

For a sense of scale, a majority of the deaths in Ireland have occurred in nursing homes. There's no reason to believe that will perfectly replicated in the UK, but it is consistent with the "conspiracy theories" that the UK headline figures are under-counted by several thousand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Enda said:

HMG might be in a political storm when the ONS publish final mortality figures. The decision to only report hospital-related deaths may have been politically convenient two weeks ago, but will blow up when the figures come out all at once.

For a sense of scale, a majority of the deaths in Ireland have occurred in nursing homes. There's no reason to believe that will perfectly replicated in the UK, but it is consistent with the "conspiracy theories" that the UK headline figures are under-counted by several thousand.

That all hinges on the ‘when’.

If when is within a week or so when this is all very current and hospital deaths are still 700’s and 800’s then it could have an impact. But if its later, then the public will see it as after the event and those that watch the news will go tut, and move on.

I doubt it will even be seen as anything to do with the government. It’ll just be proof that money spent on admin is wasted.

Turns out the 10% pay cut at our place for US staff only. Happy days. 

They’re really shit at sending out emails that say they apply to the entire company and then remembering that their entire company isn’t just their US offices. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

NHS staff will be treating patients without gowns as they will run out within the next few hours. 

And close to 70% approval rating for the government. What the **** is wrong with people?

Now been told to re-use them. And they haven’t even pretended it’s because “it’s now safe”. They’ve literally said it’s because there’s a shortage. 

Unsurprisingly none of the journalists even mentioned it in the press conference. 

I don’t know the guy’s name who headed today’s presser, but he is the absolute worst at not answering questions. He literally answers nothing. 

Someone asked him about HS2 and he didn’t even mention it in his answer

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t know the guy’s name who headed today’s presser, but he is the absolute worst at not answering questions. He literally answers nothing. 

Someone asked him about HS2 and he didn’t even mention it in his answer

Alok Sharma.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

That all hinges on the ‘when’.

If when is within a week or so when this is all very current and hospital deaths are still 700’s and 800’s then it could have an impact. But if its later, then the public will see it as after the event and those that watch the news will go tut, and move on.

I doubt it will even be seen as anything to do with the government. It’ll just be proof that money spent on admin is wasted.

They are already showing deaths in all settings on the graph they put up but is is running 2 weeks behind. Deaths in hospitals are on day 32, deaths in all settings are on day 18. Looking at the current trajectory it is lower than only Spain and US.

Coronavirus UK live: Alok Sharma announces vaccine taskforce, as ...

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â