The Royal Family

Genie

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Been like that for years hasn’t it?  The British stiff upper lip comes into play when things like this happen. We just get on with it that’s what we do. Leave all that protesting rubbish to the French .

I suppose for some people, royal events like this are a comforting reminder that even in an era of high anxiety, the Crown continues as a symbol of strength and security. 

Just now, maqroll said:

I suppose for some people, royal events like this are a comforting reminder that even in an era of high anxiety, the Crown continues as a symbol of strength and security. 

That’s one of the ways I look at it also . Why does everything have to be doom and gloom. Nice bank holiday weekend, sun out and some flag waving , hardly  nazi Germany .

58 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The Royal family I am sure bring in a large amount of money, and also earn the country a lot of money. Then why do we give them so much bloody money each year. Still with an increase in people that don’t see their value, my hope is these **** are retired during my lifetime. 
https://www.itv.com/news/2023-05-02/king-charles-will-struggle-to-unite-his-kingdom-poll-for-itv-news-reveals

The overall is depicted in a graph in the link. 

Well I don't think the money generated by them goes directly to them. 

It will be earned in airports, restaurants and bars, hotels, shops railways and buses, hire car companies, ferry and coach companies. 

All of whom pay tax and employ people who pay tax and spend money within our economy. 

The trick is to increase the amount that IS paid to them direct and reduce the taxpayer contribution. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

That money could pay a lot of utility bills and fill some pantry shelves.

Unless somebody crunched the numbers and determined that the money the royals generate from tourism justifies the public outlay, but I'm assuming that would be a pipe dream.

Doesn't the US President hold large taxpayer funded events? I'm not familiar with how it works over there. 

There are big gatherings around Washington aren't there? What's the Presidents function at Head of State? 

Couple of hours ago I went out for a bike ride. Village near me having a Kinging party on the village green, anyway I cycled on, did my exercise and got back home to find they’ve closed the next street off for a Kinging party and all the local buntingers were there in fancy dress, like knights and queens or whatever, with gazebos and tables and cakes and Prosecco and lagers. All seemed very convivial, I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder how much these enormous military parades cost that you see in Russia and similar countries. They happen every year as well. I assume there is a cost to the.  I mean driving a few hundred WW2 tanks through he street must cost a fortune in fuel. 

I guess the question is, if we didn't do this kind of stuff for The Royals would we just replace it with something else similarly costly.  Are there any countries that literally do nothing? Have no taxpayer funded parades or national celebrations? 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well I don't think the money generated by them goes directly to them. 

It will be earned in airports, restaurants and bars, hotels, shops railways and buses, hire car companies, ferry and coach companies. 

All of whom pay tax and employ people who pay tax and spend money within our economy. 

The trick is to increase the amount that IS paid to them direct and reduce the taxpayer contribution. 

They earn and they earn the country. They keep a close eye on the amount lest the serfs get angry. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Been like that for years hasn’t it?  The British stiff upper lip comes into play when things like this happen. We just get on with it that’s what we do. Leave all that protesting rubbish to the French .

That good old British stiff upper lip while the country's in decline, meanwhile the French are setting shit on fire when their "betters" piss them off. I can't say I agree we've got the right idea. As a nation the majority are too scared to rock the boat while despising anyone willing to kick up a fuss about problems. You call it a stiff upper lip, I call it obliviousness. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I do wonder at times if those calling for the abolishment of the Royal Family also support the abolishment of Parliament.

I’m sure if aliens came , killed the monarchy , dissolved Parliament and gave everyone in the country a zillion pound , free clean energy and a go on Ana De Armas on your birthday , those people would still find something to protest about 

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Doesn't the US President hold large taxpayer funded events? I'm not familiar with how it works over there. 

There are big gatherings around Washington aren't there? What's the Presidents function at Head of State? 

Yes. If you want to meet me in the US Politics thread, I can speak at length at about it. 😃

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

Swansea or Cardiff?

Cardiff doesn’t have an accent, and you wouldn’t want it to be the Bristolian twang of Newport, so let’s go with Swansea.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m sure if aliens came , killed the monarchy , dissolved Parliament and gave everyone in the country a zillion pound , free clean energy and a go on Ana De Armas on your birthday , those people would still find something to protest about 

Ana de Armas would possibly have something to say about it, yeah.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, blandy said:

Couple of hours ago I went out for a bike ride. Village near me having a Kinging party on the village green, anyway I cycled on, did my exercise and got back home to find they’ve closed the next street off for a Kinging party and all the local buntingers were there in fancy dress, like knights and queens or whatever, with gazebos and tables and cakes and Prosecco and lagers. All seemed very convivial, I suppose.

I went for a run a few hours ago by me and had a similar experience. Low and behold there was a large gathering there too, parting away it looked like with bottles flying everywhere, bit of jousting and fists flying. They were having a right old time. The police closed the road off soon after due to the carnage.... I mean carnival atmosphere. 

Can't beat a British Bank Holiday Weekend.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

:crylaugh: is that what they say in Caaaaeeerdiff, it's half Irish like Scouse

Yeah, Cardiff is the proper received accent or ‘correct’ accent, then as it spreads beyond over the M4 in to north Wales it becomes more nasal, eastward it’s sounding West Country by the time it gets to Newport. It’s why the programme Gavin and Stacey was so funny, all those posh accents, juxtaposed with James Cordon.

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Awww.  Bloody hell. Can't we have a blonde? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder how much these enormous military parades cost that you see in Russia and similar countries. They happen every year as well. I assume there is a cost to the.  I mean driving a few hundred WW2 tanks through he street must cost a fortune in fuel. 

I guess the question is, if we didn't do this kind of stuff for The Royals would we just replace it with something else similarly costly.  Are there any countries that literally do nothing? Have no taxpayer funded parades or national celebrations? 

I'd like to see parades where politicians are on milk floats, the old slow ones, in a stock so you can pelt the shit out of them(with darts). I'd pay for that parade happily as a British taxpayer! Imagine how fun that would be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â