The Royal Family

Genie

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Which is also sort of disproven by Versailles, I think the French king is dead but their palaces still get some visitors, more than ours even.

I'm fairly neutral on The Royals. Erring towards keeping them. 

I'm not a Royal throbber but if they were abolished I'm not going to be bawling into my beer or getting angry. I'm also not going on websites trashing them or going out in public waving yellow signs. 

I guess I'm just fairly average on The Royals. 

BUT I've seen this mentioned before.  Surely Versailles is a full time, premium Tourist attraction. It's massive and can absorb huge amounts of visitors. 

Our Royal Palaces are working palaces with restricted visitor times and limited ticket numbers aren't they? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

If The king made the dinner on a special bank holiday Monday and had a bagpipe band playing The Beatles greatest hits  I think It would be one of the best days of @bickster life :D

Our king hates anything to do with Liverpool so that’s doubtful . They both could sit there for hours dissing the Beatles though which Bicks would like .

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

It means they only recognise Elvis as the true King.

The number of religious sites devoted to the King is just staggering:

Church of Elvis, 

The Eighth Day Transfigurist Cult, 

Elvis Séance,

The Elvis Shrine, 

The First Church of Jesus Christ,

Elvis,

The Gospel of Elvis,

Little Shrine to the King,

Oracle of the Plywood Elvis,

The First Presleyterian Church of Elvis the Divine.

I myself have been to several meetings of The First Presleytarian Church of Elvis The Divine, lead by the Rt Rev D Wayne Love.

I have indeed recently been invited back to the church by none other than the Spirit of Love for a gathering next December and have taken them up on their most gracious offer of a place on the heavenly guest list.

True story that, and best read in a southern drawl.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm not a Royal throbber but if they were abolished I'm not going to be bawling into my beer or getting angry. I'm also not going on websites trashing them or going out in public waving yellow signs. 

BUT I've seen this mentioned before.  Surely Versailles is a full time, premium Tourist attraction. It's massive and can absorb huge amounts of visitors. 

Our Royal Palaces are working palaces with restricted visitor times and limited ticket numbers aren't they? 

It’s part of our identity,  too but yes I’m kind of like you regarding the royals 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Our king hates anything to do with Liverpool 

And people say the monarchy are out of  touch with the rest of the U.K. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He’d be there I know he would . Our king has a good record collection , so that would be the deal breaker . 

I hear @bicksterhas been on the lookout for some rare Three Degrees pressings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, ours are working palaces with restricted times and limited tickets.

Now, free yourself of it being one of several royal places to live.

With the royals shacked up in say, Windsor, or Sandringham, Highgrove, Balmoral, Hillsborough Castle, Clarence House, Frogmore, Holyrood, Llewynywermod and more and more others, that would leave Buckingham Palace as a massive permanent visitor attraction, with gardens, a tour of the whole house, views and photos from the balcony. It’s a 40 acre site in the middle of London directly alongside St James’ Park, it could truly be a massive potential tourist draw, far far bigger than the token effort made at the moment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Recent polling suggests 25% of the population already supports the abolition of the monarchy 

Source and stick it up

Edited by Follyfoot

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, ours are working palaces with restricted times and limited tickets.

Now, free yourself of it being one of several royal places to live.

With the royals shacked up in say, Windsor, or Sandringham, Highgrove, Balmoral, Hillsborough Castle, Clarence House, Frogmore, Holyrood, Llewynywermod and more and more others, that would leave Buckingham Palace as a massive permanent visitor attraction, with gardens, a tour of the whole house, views and photos from the balcony. It’s a 40 acre site in the middle of London directly alongside St James’ Park, it could truly be a massive potential tourist draw, far far bigger than the token effort made at the moment.

Yeah they would but the implication was they would be somehow more popular if we got rid of the Royals rather than if we just made them more accessible, at least that's the way I read it. 

I suspect the Royals are probably self sustaining such is the huge interest in them from abroad, this is a suspicion, I have no figures. 

I think Charles is aware of this Criticism and we're already seeing efforts to slim the monarchy and reduce costs.  I suspect we'll see more of this. 

I think they should sell more tickets to the Palaces to earn more money. 

I know The Crown have returned more than it's "agreed" share of some offshore wind farms income recently.  Again I think we'll see more of this in future. 

On the topic of income generated by the monarchy (by tourism I'd imagine?)

France famously have no tourists since abolishing theirs, Versailles is a closed off wreck with no visitors last time I checked?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Thing is once our king dies we’ll have William at the realm and you’ll see a progression in terms of being more accessible.

What reason do you have for thinking he'll be anything but another pampered word removed who puts the preservation of his family's privileged position above all else? 

For me, the 'good bits' of the Monarchy have been bastardised somewhat. Leaving me fairly ambivolent towards their position in our society - mostly due to the absense of a workable alternative that would/could change anything for the better.

I love the pomp and ceremony. I think it's a really important facet of our history. It's all part of how we get where we are.

In theory, the idea of the head of our forces acting as a fail-safe against the crazier politicians is the fundamental tenet of our constitutional monarchy. The idea of an elected individual gaining this power does not offer me any comfort at all.

In reality, there's a huge conflict of interests considering their investment in weapons companies, and the wealth protection and corporate interests that seem to go hand in hand with troop mobilisation in my lifetime. I'm not sure the failsafe argument is fit for purpose in the 21st century. And that's a real shame. It's the one thing a person like me would go to bat for them over.

I have always felt the money argument of 'we pay for them with our taxes' is a bit of a distraction. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the grant we pay them for being able to use the crown estate? We could stop paying them this money. The exchange would be them taking all their land back.

But the thing that surely none of us need accountants to confirm or sources to be posted on is that here is one of the richest families on the planet. If not the richest family.

I wonder if it makes a difference to people's opinion on the role of the monarchy in our country, where they think the real power and influence lies in the world. For people like me who believe the real power lies in the boardrooms of global corporations and the drawing rooms of the rich and powerful alongside the think tanks that set global agendas. Changing their interaction with the UK legislature would have little effect on anything meaningful. Hence I'm not a memebr of Republic, or a campaigner for one.

Give me control of a nations money and I care not who makes it's laws

Whether this was said by this man or the other man or no man, it's a phrase that , for me, has huge relevance when talking about the Royal Family.

As for Andrews ephebophilia, his ties to the convicted sex trafficers, Charles' long association with Jimmy Saville and all the other things I'm reminded of by apologists "have never been proven in a court of Law" - we'll never know will we. But existing at a level above the laws that bind the rest of us proles is all a bit too Orwellian for my taste. You know the guy who lived on the estate that your parents told you not to go near? Well he was never found guilty in a court of law either, but your folks still didn't want you going anywhere near them right? Common sense is not always aligned with legal outcomes.

If the time ever comes for a global governance of the people, for the people, by the people, they are destined to become a rather elaborate footnote imho. Until then I'll try and concern myself with things I can have an effect on. Which obviously doesn't include trying to stop people doing whatever they want within the confines of the Law. But I reserve the right to pass comment.

I find subserviance to establishment authority baffling. Always have. Always will.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What reason do you have for thinking he'll be anything but another pampered word removed who puts the preservation of his family's privileged position above all else? 

Well for starters he’s one of us. Seriously though , I know he’s prim and proper , but he’s seems a likeable chap . He’ll be more liked than Charles I bet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Thing is once our king dies we’ll have William at the realm and you’ll see a progression in terms of being more accessible.

I expect Kate to have an only fans account for a start. 

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well for starters he’s one of us. Seriously though , I know he’s prim and proper , but he’s seems a likeable chap . He’ll be more liked than Charles I bet.

As long as he has a big enough table to comfortably hold pens, inkwell and declarations he'll be fine. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â