The Royal Family

Genie

The Local Authority ties itself up in knots with bank holidays. It has a lot of people that work shorter weeks, or agreed different hours on different days.

If you don’t normally work a Monday you wouldn’t get the benefit of the Monday B/H, but they can’t just say take Friday instead, because that would be people on 5 days getting a 20% B/H but people working 3 days getting a 33% B/H dividend.

They have people that work a half day Monday, well they can’t just have the Monday off cos then they’ve been short changed.

The thing that probably bugs me most about it, is every B/H appears to take them by surprise, and I then have to pretend I’m interested during the decompression hour after work. Surely, what with generative artificial intelligence, and ARM micro chips, and our modern understanding of quantum theory, and excell spreadsheets, you’d imagine it could be done automatically, by a computer.

I’ve never said that out loud.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Even if your contract was worded "inclusive of bank holidays" it would still be at the employer's discretion.

Basically it sounds like Bicks works for a word removed

I really don't as my three wages rises in a year putting me in the higher tax bracket testify

And this really isn't the discussion.

Can't you all accept that some, which is probably in the millions are in that situation. None of your social circles represent a full spectrum of UK workers so stop arguing the toss over something that isn't the point.

It's not about the greatness of my employers, its about being forced to take a day off to celebrate this horseshit

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

The way I see it we're owed more bank holidays. Don't really give a crap what they're for but we are a country with some of the fewest public holidays in the world with only Mexico and Ecuador having fewer (if you're in England)

We need them cutting down imo. Xmas Day, Boxing Day, NYD and the rest to be taken whenever you sodding want. Public Holidays are the worst days to have off

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Even if your contract was worded "inclusive of bank holidays" it would still be at the employer's discretion.

Basically it sounds like Bicks works for a word removed

Me too.

The less shitty thing would be to say they are open as normal, or give the option to take it if self-funded from annual leave. It’s a double kick in the nuts to say they are closing for the day, and it’s coming out of the employees allowance.

As I said, not only does it not apply to me I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone I know in 20+ years of working life.

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

We need them cutting down imo. Xmas Day, Boxing Day, NYD and the rest to be taken whenever you sodding want. Public Holidays are the worst days to have off

Sounds like you're arguing for more annual leave...we should have more of that too! The work-life balance in this country is pretty shocking. Covid helped somewhat by breaking the 9-5 office based work model but it needs to go much further.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The Local Authority ties itself up in knots with bank holidays. It has a lot of people that work shorter weeks, or agreed different hours on different days.

If you don’t normally work a Monday you wouldn’t get the benefit of the Monday B/H, but they can’t just say take Friday instead, because that would be people on 5 days getting a 20% B/H but people working 3 days getting a 33% B/H dividend.

They have people that work a half day Monday, well they can’t just have the Monday off cos then they’ve been short changed.

My wife works for the local council and does a 4 day week (Tuesday to Friday). As she doesn’t work Mondays anyway she gets 80% of a days worth of hours (as she only works 80% of a full week) added to her holiday entitlement. It’s something like 6 and a half hours and she can take it when she likes. 

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's not about the greatness of my employers, its about being forced to take a day off to celebrate this horseshit

Your shitty employer is forcing you to take the day off, at your cost. They’re the same thing.

You must be in the minority here, you’re being mugged off.

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

Your shitty employer is forcing you to take the day off, at your cost. They’re the same thing.

You must be in the minority here, you’re being mugged off.

I'm really not sure why you don't get it. My situation is standard UK employment law, that you think I'm working in the only company in the UK that has that as its annual leave policy is somewhat bizarre.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm really not sure why you don't get it. My situation is standard UK employment law, that you think I'm working in the only company in the UK that has that as its annual leave policy is somewhat bizarre.

It’s the suggestion that it’s normal and effectives millions of people that strikes me as bizarre. I’ve never heard of it in 20 odd years and nobody else is jumping in either. It obviously goes on, but I expect most reputable business (and plenty of bad ones too) will increase the holiday allowance by 1 day if they are shutting.

Your employer has decided to close and NOT increase the holiday allowance which is a bit muggy imo. 

• Like 1

Im Self Employed so I don't get/always have a day off - delete as the mood takes really :D

but in hospitality always expected to work so always a day off in lieu.

In retail we were shut and it counted against whatever

MrsVM has been known to be annoyed that where she works closes for Xdays over christmas and that her annual leave allowance gets eaten up in part where she has historically enjoyed getting loads done in the office between boxing day and new year with noone around to bother her. Is that the same thing that's weird or not weird?

(Don't think it sounds weird to me bicks but I'm not really sure what's going on at this point and I'm afraid to put my crown above the ramparts!?)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The thing that probably bugs me most about it, is every B/H appears to take them by surprise, and I then have to pretend I’m interested during the decompression hour after work. Surely, what with generative artificial intelligence, and ARM micro chips, and our modern understanding of quantum theory, and excell spreadsheets, you’d imagine it could be done automatically, by a computer.

I’ve never said that out loud.

I've been on compressed hours for 6 months or so, I do full time over 4 days. They just gave me the extra day, so I get a bonus couple of hours compared to normal full timers, can't complain!

Then again, when I first transitioned to this schedule they just let me keep the extra 4 or 5 days holiday I owed them once it was recalculated because "it's not worth the hassle figuring it out and updating the HR system, enjoy the week off". Need to remind myself of how good I have it when  I have a shit day at work, I'm bloody well looked after here.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't think anyone thinks you're the only one affected, or only people at D' cabs. My place they "force" people to have 3 or 4 days annual leave when they want us to, and like @chrisp65says, with 4 day week people, shift workers and so on, there's all kinds of agreements and rules and stuff around working on Bank Holidays and whether it's overtime or standard rates.... And it's all iaw employment law and all in contracts and stuff. Basically, some of the entitlement is entirely dictated when it is taken by the company. Meh. Whatever. I'd rather have taken it at my choosing, but...Essentially with this Charles Kinging business, Companies and employers are at liberty to either let people have an extra day off paid, or unpaid, or not have it off (Kenny).

Yeah I think the point that you work for miserly bastards is fair, honestly.

"This is happening to millions of others" might be true, but it's not exactly a rebuttal. Yeah millions of other people also work for miserly bastards. I'd not want to work for people that consider "this is an acceptable way to treat you according to employment law" as a way to treat their staff, personally. I appreciate that many people would consider it a position of luxury to be able to sod off somewhere else if I'm not sufficiently pampered, though.

Reminds me of the observation "Paying minimum wage  basically means 'I'd pay you even less if I was allowed'"

Edited by Davkaus

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah I think the point that you work for miserly bastards is fair, honestly.

I must need a rebate on my higher rate tax level then, can you jump ship to HMRC to sort it for me, ta

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â