The Royal Family

Genie

8 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

It's a lot easier, face to face, to talk calmly and nicely to people about the ideas and ideals that we share, rather than getting het up over whether we can use this label or that label in order to make a point, or indeed to dismiss one - and/or the person or group identity behind it's use.

Yeah, absolutely. It is like it is at the moment because of populism by the Tories, and their mad populism could lead to unintended consequences for them - like the Royal Family becoming ever more unpopular more quickly. Personally I'm completely indifferent to the Royal family - I just have no interest in the whole circus at all, and nor am I so exercised by it/them that I am frothing to have them abolished. I just don't care at all.

The thing is, to get to your comment, talking to people who do love the royals and all that stuff, they kind of get a sense of belonging and pride from them, and a sense of identity and of Britain. To me it's bonkers mad, but they think I am, for having no interest at all. But if you just chat to them, you don't need to fall out or even disagree - it's like what kind of films you like, or if you like soap operas - it's of no consequence to anything, really.

Ideally, I guess we could have an element of ceremonial stuff for the odd occasion, and other than that leave them alone, and in return they gradually revert to just being a bunch of rich people - more like the Scandi or Dutch versions.

• Like 1

I’m ok with sitting and chatting with royalists and understanding more about them and their sense of pride in being a subject to a king and their sense of Britain’s culture and the personal pride they feel for what we’ve given to the world in the way of pomp and circumstance. But I would prefer someone to give their hard drive the once over first.

• Haha 1

Gbeebies wall to wall coverage about how Meghan wants to ruin everything. Curious how the ‘journalist’ who drove Caroline flack to kill herself can continue in the same vein with another woman unopposed. 

1 minute ago, tinker said:

It's an extra day for me 😚

You will be one of the lucky ones, most people especially those on lower pay will be on the standard amount of holidays, not public holidays extra 

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Despite what some lucky people will tell you in this forum about their annual leave packages, most people in the UK get a set number of days off that include public holidays, so if a new public holiday is declared, it comes off your personal allowance

I really think you’re in the minority there. Vast majority get an extra day if an extra BH is added.

I am actually completely shocked that you accept those awful conditions.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I really think you’re in the minority there. Vast majority get an extra day if an extra BH is added.

I'll wager you are absolutely incorrect. Most low paid jobs/ factory jobs / shop jobs etc will not be on any more than the statutory minimum. 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'll wager you are absolutely incorrect. Most low paid jobs/ factory jobs / shop jobs etc will not be on any more than the statutory minimum. 

Some people will have to work it like a normal day. Some people will have to work it, but will get paid a premium as it’s a public holiday. Some people will get an extra paid day off.

What you have must be super rare because you’re told to take the day off but losing it from your allowance. I’ve never heard of such an arrangement in my life before. 

I know employers don’t have to give their staff the extra day off, but ones which don’t allow them to work it and tell them to take it out of their allowance must be the shittiest around.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Some people will have to work it like a normal day. Some people will have to work it, but will get paid a premium as it’s a public holiday. Some people will get an extra paid day off.

What you have must be super rare because you’re told to take the day off but losing it from your allowance. I’ve never heard of such an arrangement in my life before. 

I know employers don’t have to give their staff the extra day off, but ones which don’t allow them to work it and tell them to take it out of their allowance must be the shittiest around.

There will be millions of workers on a very similar holiday package to me, millions. It's not rare at all. As for being paid a premium or a day off in lieu, so what, they still didn't get an extra days holiday.

King sausage fingers has stolen millions of days of holidays 

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

There will be millions of workers on a very similar holiday package to me, millions. It's not rare at all. As for being paid a premium or a day off in lieu, so what, they still didn't get an extra days holiday.

King sausage fingers has stolen millions of days of holidays 

Well technically it was the Government who decreed it would be a public holiday , not the King

but , your anger should be directed at your employer not the Royal family  .. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Well technically it was the Government who decreed it would be a public holiday , not the King

but , your anger should be directed at your employer not the Royal family  .. 

I think if there was a referendum for adding an extra BH or not then having it would comfortably win.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think if there was a referendum for adding an extra BH or not then having it would comfortably win.

Corbyn promised 4 of them and using SNP logic that an election is a a de facto referendum on one policy  , then the British public didn't want them :) 

(maybe that was because people like Bicks would have had  to take them as part of their holiday leave  ...) 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Remind me, as per the topic of this discussion, the Govt runs the country on behalf of....? 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Despite what some lucky people will tell you in this forum about their annual leave packages, most people in the UK get a set number of days off that include public holidays, so if a new public holiday is declared, it comes off your personal allowance, the number of days off doesn't change. Kind Sausage FIngers has granted me a holiday I can't choose. Word Removed.

Is this true?

You're the first person I've come across who is losing a holiday day because of this

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Aside from @bicksterhas anyone else on here lost a days holidays as a result of the coronation bank holiday?

As above, this is the first I've heard of anyone having their extra Bank Holiday take the place of a day of annual leave.

The assertion that "most" people are in this situation isn't true, imo

But happy to be proved wrong

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

You will be one of the lucky ones, most people especially those on lower pay will be on the standard amount of holidays, not public holidays extra 

I dunno. I mean I genuinely don't know. Places close on bank holidays - places with lower waged people - shops, factories, post offices, butty shops, barbers, service places, banks (cashiers and counter staff)... obviously places like pubs and some eateries/take aways are open and perhaps busier than normal, but a heck of a lot of people do get bank holidays off. Whether they get paid or not on that day I guess depends on the employer and contracts and t's & c's.  I'd wager "most" people should really be, perhaps "a lot of people", and that the majority do get the extra day without losing out.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Remind me, as per the topic of this discussion, the Govt runs the country on behalf of....? 

We  became a constitutional monarchy in 1689  , thus the monarch cannot issue decrees or edicts

Charles approved the bank holiday , but didn't have the power to create one 

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno. I mean I genuinely don't know. Places close on bank holidays - places with lower waged people - shops, factories, post offices, butty shops, barbers, service places, banks (cashiers and counter staff)... obviously places like pubs and some eateries/take aways are open and perhaps busier than normal, but a heck of a lot of people do get bank holidays off. Whether they get paid or not on that day I guess depends on the employer and contracts and t's & c's.  I'd wager "most" people should really be, perhaps "a lot of people", and that the majority do get the extra day without losing out.

Even if your contract was worded "inclusive of bank holidays" it would still be at the employer's discretion.

Basically it sounds like Bicks works for a word removed

I know a truck driver that works bank holidays, but gets them back as a day off later in the year.

I always wonder about this 'people don't work on bank holidays'. Yeah, maybe office corporate, but entertainment, hospitality, social services like hospitals, soldiers, police, sports, PhD Students, sole traders in various businesses, literally most of the population have a normal working day. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â