The Royal Family

Genie

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How many will happily take the Monday off work though? 

So what? I'd have a day off in honour of Ian Huntley if I was being paid for it. A bribe doesn't lend them legitimacy.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

On the one hand I **** despise Celtic supporters and on the other I approve thei message. 

Interesting - how come?

I thought since that famous "friendly" when Rangers came down and tore through VP & Aston, Villa and Celtic had a kin relationship? Plus all of the Irish players we had in the 90's including the our Lord & savior, hallowed be his name. 

42 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Interesting - how come?

I thought since that famous "friendly" when Rangers came down and tore through VP & Aston, Villa and Celtic had a kin relationship? Plus all of the Irish players we had in the 90's including the our Lord & savior, hallowed be his name. 

More a culmination of many things over the years, than a single thing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

None really. So why do we bother paying for them? (People can save themselves the "but tourism" nonsense).

I think chuck's fairly imminent demise and the prescribed days of mourning will edge us just that bit closer to finely ridding ourselves of our national tolerance of this wealthy family of inbreds. 

I don't know or particularly care.  How much does it cost me per £?

I guess, whilst not pro-monarchy and would probably want it abolished if push came to shove, I don't really understand where the hate comes from (or where the love comes from in certain instances too).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

How much does it cost me per £?

£1.30 per person in the UK. They are depriving me of two packs of Garibaldi biscuits (and can I have my day's holiday back)

Its not about the money though. It's the symbolism of what they represent

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well the church nearby are having a bit of a do for it like most are I suppose . The local reverend has told us it’s fancy dress with tea and biscuits a plenty. Should be fun .

I think he’s talking about the Coronation itself

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

£1.30 per person in the UK. They are depriving me of two packs of Garibaldi biscuits (and can I have my day's holiday back)

Does that include all the tax they avoid, especially things like inheritance tax?

Just now, Genie said:

Does that include all the tax they avoid, especially things like inheritance tax?

no obviously not, that isn't calculable because no one knows how much they are worth

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

An elitist family because of old times?  I wouldn't want their life FWIW.

Also, £1.30 per person (per year?) could definitely be spent better elsewhere.

They won't last a great deal longer but this is britain, we've never done revolution particularly well. We tried it once, got a bit skittish when the immediate alternative was still a rocket polisher and then asked the bastards to come back. Balancing the fact they've still got hard-core supporters as well as an increasing number of critics, particularly among the younger generations is tricky but I expect they'll devolve gradually out of the pageantry crap. Landscape in another 10, 15 years when Will and Kate will be there / nearly there will be quite different. Obviously there will.be no direct announcement etc ending normal royal privileges, it'll all.happen mostly quietly behind closed doors. Royal visits abroad will fade away and basically be non existent in 20 years or so, or vastly changed. The cringy photo ops of the last attempt will ensure none of that carrying the monarch crop gets much further currency. 

The focus will be putting some of that money to environmental issues, and very very belatedly addressing some more commonwealth empire legacy issues, but most of the those who get annoyed by apologies for slavery will.be deadish by the time that happens.

Maybe, timeliness are hard to judge, could suddenly change very quickly but I doubt it. A couple more decades of gradual transition seems more likely

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â