The Royal Family

Genie

Interesting point raised by Alok Sharma in the latest show of cabinet disunity, pointing out that King Chuck is also Head of State in a lot of other countries, some of whom are very big on climate change and who might well want him there to represent them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Aristocratic old biddy in 'out of touch' shocker". 

Storm in a teacup. I don't blame the charity woman for being offended, but I think this falls under the category of 'ignorance' rather than conscious racism. 

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Storm in a teacup. I don't blame the charity woman for being offended, but I think this falls under the category of 'ignorance' rather than conscious racism. 

she repeatedly said she was british which was not accepted. had her response the first time been accepted, it would've been  ignorance. to disregard it each time, is racist. at least the palace have taken it very seriously...they wouldn't be doing this if they felt it fell under the 'ignorance' category

• Like 4

It's a pet peeve of mine when I'm out working "Where are you from"

From a complete stranger as an opening gambit to a conversation its just a f***ing rude question, regardless of any racial issue. Add the race element in and yes, it's racism, especially in the way it was done in this instance

Even without the race element it's othering. Get to know someone a bit first before you ask the question because it shouldn't be what defines a  brief meeting.

If that question is one of the first asked, I don't want to get to know you.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Nah, it's clear racism.  I don't really know what would make you think otherwise tbh.  We mask racism under "ahhhh, old person" far too much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

she repeatedly said she was british which was not accepted. had her response the first time been accepted, it would've been  ignorance. to disregard it each time, is racist. at least the palace have taken it very seriously...they wouldn't be doing this if they felt it fell under the 'ignorance' category

I think she's a silly old bat. I think she's lived all her life in a privileged monocultural bubble. I think she has all sorts of racial predjudices and misconceptions. I think she's thick-skinned and a bit dim. I think she shouldn't have been given the job of hosting that function. But I don't think she was consciously being hostile or abusive, in the way that - say - a Tommy Robinson type would be. It's an embarrassment for the royals, for sure, and another demonstration that they are not fit for purpose. But it's hardly a big shock. 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nah, it's clear racism.  I don't really know what would make you think otherwise tbh.  We mask racism under "ahhhh, old person" far too much.

I tend to use the term 'racism' to refer to actively hostile treatment of people based on race, e.g. violence, abusive language, exclusion from employment, segregation, denial of opportunities, etc. 

This is what I would call racial predjudice. Which often leads to overt racist behaviour, but does not neccessarily do so. Very of us are totally free of - almost unconscious - misconceptions about other cultures. 

I don't think this posh bint was knowingly being abusive. But at the end of the day, what is or is not offensive, is - quite rightly - defined by the victim. The charity lady was offended, and I don't blame her. I would be, too. 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It is racism, but we're talking about an 83 year old ignorant woman, who is completely unaware that she herself is an institutionalised slave, that probably forgets her name and pisses herself regularly. The only reason this is getting traction is because of who's slave it is. As per usual the palace are tripping over their woke selves trying to play the mediator when it's their institution that molded this individual. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's a pet peeve of mine when I'm out working "Where are you from"

From a complete stranger as an opening gambit to a conversation its just a f***ing rude question, regardless of any racial issue. Add the race element in and yes, it's racism, especially in the way it was done in this instance

Even without the race element it's othering. Get to know someone a bit first before you ask the question because it shouldn't be what defines a  brief meeting.

If that question is one of the first asked, I don't want to get to know you.

Wow.  Never seen it as a rude question.

If I meet a Brit abroad one of the first questions that will be asked from me or them is whereabouts you are from.

If I was striking up a conversation with a fellow traveller in a car who had a foreign sounding accent I would ask where they were originally from.

It's just conversation innit?

For all we know this posh Lady may have travelled extensively in Africa and The west Indies and was trying to establish her heritage so she could talk to her about that country/region as she knows it, but went about the conversation very clumsily.  I know that's probably not the case but it may be.

Strange because most people are normally proud of their heritage and actually like to talk about it.   

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I'm not taking sides in this, and if I was, I'd be with the black lady, BUT... 

This conversation could have gone a different way: 

Q. "Where are you from?" 

A. "Well, I'm British, born in London. I haven't researched my family tree in any great detail, but my parents came here from the West Indies in the 1950s. Out of interest, where are you from?"  

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not taking sides in this, and if I was, I'd be with the black lady, BUT... 

This conversation could have gone a different way: 

Q. "Where are you from?" 

A. "Well, I'm British, born in London. I haven't researched my family tree in any great detail, but my parents came here from the West Indies in the 1950s. Out of interest, where are you from?"  

But it didn't...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â