The Royal Family

Genie

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And as has been discussed so many times, without the royals living in the palaces, they could be more open to the public and potentially raise even more.

We wouldn't make much more, it's only 20x the amount of visitors that Versailles gets compared to Buckingham Palace. Just 4x all the Royal Estates combined...

That £500m per year to have them closed all the time is totally worth it.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Is that a plate you can buy on the back of the Daily Mail weekly TV guide for £49.99  a month for the next 20 years, Commissioned by Franklin mint? 

Less cringe than Paddington, guaranteed!

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The Monarchy can solve the problem themselves. Create a role of President or equivalent and have that person elected by the population. All the ceremonial powers of the King/Queen are enacted by this elected official. 

The Monarchy can go on as celebrities and all that to keep tourism for the country and the actual governing of the country is 100% done by elected people. 

As said a few times before, the first step would probably have to be a referendum on the monarchy, which I can't really see them losing.  I doubt anyone being elected as President would be as popular either, given they would most likely be voted for on Tory v Labour lines.  I'd rather they prioritised reforming the House of Lords when it comes to improving democracy in the country.  

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

I could buy that if it was not for the fact of the billions of pounds in tourist revenue she has brought in to this country during her reign

Would else you sell if it attracted high enough tourist revenues?

23 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If we're talking about getting rid of celebrities for what they stand for, I say we abolish the Kardashians. 

Off with their heads!

48 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Does it matter what we do? Other people do.

Visit Britain did research indicating £500M is generated per year from the 2.8M people visiting Royal residences. Whilst no research has been done to indicate how many foreign travellers visit Britain solely or partly for this purpose 60% of foreign tourists who visit London attend one of the Royal residences. 

Myself and herself visited London earlier this year. Did the open top bus tour, London Eye, etc. Wife wanted to see the Palace instead of the Tate. We’d have visited London anyway, but instead of paying into the Tate we stood at some gates and looked at a man in a stupid hat. Economic loss for London, and was bloody boring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Does it matter what we do? Other people do.

Visit Britain did research indicating £500M is generated per year from the 2.8M people visiting Royal residences. Whilst no research has been done to indicate how many foreign travellers visit Britain solely or partly for this purpose 60% of foreign tourists who visit London attend one of the Royal residences. 

Tourists do touristy things. I've been to a cathedral in 90% of the places I've visited when they have cathedrals, but I never went to these places because of a cathedral. Nor do I care much about cathedrals (though they are often clearly very impressive to be fair).

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What’s with all the marmalade sandwiches and Paddington narratives?!? 

when did that become a thing synonymous with The Queen??? 

utterly baffling 

If she'd died a decade ago we'd all be drinking martinis instead, which would be a period of national mourning I could get behind.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

utterly baffling 

When she had tea with him at the Palace

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

utterly baffling 

She did that skit with Paddington for her jubilee earlier this year. Thats the only link as far as I'm aware. 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

The figures are based on the Royal brand,

are you implying no one would visit buckingham palace if the royal family was abolished? i'd argue even more would, as has been suggested above, it would probably be open to actually go inside and walk around the grounds same as the palace of verseilles

i'm not saying abolish the monarchy by the way, i just think the hypothesis that the money they generate outweighs the money spent on them is deeply flawed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

are you implying no one would visit buckingham palace if the royal family was abolished? i'd argue even more would, as has been suggested above, it would probably be open to actually go inside and walk around the grounds same as the palace of verseilles

i'm not saying abolish the monarchy by the way, i just think the hypothesis that the money they generate outweighs the money spent on them is deeply flawed.

I’m not implying anything I’m quoting figures from a regulated company which is ISO accredited on the value to the economy of the royal family not the residences on their own.

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

She did that skit with Paddington for her jubilee earlier this year. Thats the only link as far as I'm aware. 

Evil marketing campaign by that nasty Saatchi & Saatchi (who shamelessly promoted the Tory party against Labour by saying Labour isn’t working in 1979 when it clearly was) to Make the lizard Queen more appealing to younger people so she can feast on their stem cells in the Royal vaults. Think Michael Jackson but 1000 times more sinister

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

When she had tea with him at the Palace

That has completely passed me by and never knew that! 

So something she did in the last 3 months of her life has defined her in the eyes of the mawkish masses?!? 

As I said earlier, utterly baffling 

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Myself and herself visited London earlier this year. Did the open top bus tour, London Eye, etc. Wife wanted to see the Palace instead of the Tate. We’d have visited London anyway, but instead of paying into the Tate we stood at some gates and looked at a man in a stupid hat. Economic loss for London, and was bloody boring.

Man going to visit the Tate moans that standing looking at something is boring amused me more than it should :)

out of interest  when you got back from London did you open your wallet and say “ result I’ve got £30 here that I didn’t spend in London “ … or did you spend it somewhere else in London ?

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â