The Royal Family

Genie

23 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Let me rephrase.... It's seen in Royal circles that Standing down is not an option, as the one time it did happen back in the 50's it almost brought down the entire Monarchy.

Happy? :) 

They said similar about the Pope. Given that these type of people control their own rules they can do whatever they want to do

Btw King James II  and VII of Scotland and Mary Queen of Scots both abdicated, the first by dropping a seal in the Thames and buggering off to France and the later was forced but it doesn't alter the fact that Edward VIII wasn't the only UK Crown abdication. Because of the  Act of Settlement an abdication now requires an act of Parliament but nonetheless it's perfectly possible as we know already

The not the done thing / constitutional crisis argument is quite frankly nonsense.

If the Queen wanted to Abdicate 10 years ago, no one would really have batted an eyelid. The relevant Act of Parliament would have been drawn up and it would have been done. No constitutional crisis would have occurred.

• Like 2

I'm dual national, and I have so much to say, but much of it is probably better left unsaid.

Lots of mixed feelings about Elizabeth. Honestly find my fellow sycophantic Americans obsessed with royals nearly intolerable (mine is not the usual response here in the USA, by the way), and why share my deepest thoughts, as they would probably -- and perhaps deservedly so -- be met by the usual confused silence?

But here are some: I think dual UK-US patriotic nationals, if they grasp history, can't fail to be deeply conflicted about Elizabeth Windsor and all she represents.  I understand much better why Diana was a campy icon whose death felt devastating, as I lived in a very gay neighborhood when she died, and AIDS was still ravaging the community. That outpouring made so much sense. 

There aren't many Americans I know who truly adore Britain, as I do, but not because of kings and queens. I love and admire Britain''s intellectual, legal, artistic and industrial history. I do love King Alfred. I love the Magna Carta and William Morris and WH Auden -- and Aston Villa -- and Lyle's Golden. Syrup. I feel sympathy for poor George III. Prince William seems OK. Harry seems a bit forced.  

I can swear loyalty as a British subject, and I feel very patriotic about the UK, too, but I can't cope with shows like the Crown, the Queen,  and the various Diana things, and feel there's something pretty repulsive about Americans hooked on such cack and royal news, tbh. I do understand my nonagenarian English dad's sentimental attachment to the Queen because she was so woven into the fabric of the British life he knew. Not sure what to say.

The American part of me is more intellectually American than many of my fellow citizens here, and if you really understand America, you can never fully embrace anyone's royal family ever, I would hope. But as we've seen so many times, especially under Trumpism, many Americans no longer grasp where they came from, in the Enlightenment. 

I love what another British man, the Johnny Lydon of the 18th century, and who embraced America, had to say about the monarchy:

Kings succeed each other, not as rationals, but as animals. It signifies not what their mental or moral characters are. Can we then be surprised at the abject state of the human mind in monarchical countries, when the government itself is formed on such an abject levelling system? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Why do people cry over the death of someone they've never met? 

Honestly, I can't get my head around it. Let's all go to Buckingham Palace, spend £20 on some flowers & stand in the rain crying about a woman we never met but had a life far easier and privileged than any of us can begin to imagine.

Humans are weird. 

Our local FB group: 

Point Blur_Sep092022_164821.jpg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

They said similar about the Pope. Given that these type of people control their own rules they can do whatever they want to do

Btw King James II  and VII of Scotland and Mary Queen of Scots both abdicated, the first by dropping a seal in the Thames and buggering off to France and the later was forced but it doesn't alter the fact that Edward VIII wasn't the only UK Crown abdication. Because of the  Act of Settlement an abdication now requires an act of Parliament but nonetheless it's perfectly possible as we know already

The not the done thing / constitutional crisis argument is quite frankly nonsense.

If the Queen wanted to Abdicate 10 years ago, no one would really have batted an eyelid. The relevant Act of Parliament would have been drawn up and it would have been done. No constitutional crisis would have occurred.

All good points, however in order to out-lampard you it's worth noting that Mary, Queen of Scots was never the Queen of England so it is quite moot..... ;) 

Just now, DeadlyDirk said:

All good points, however in order to out-lampard you it's worth noting that Mary, Queen of Scots was never the Queen of England so it is quite moot..... ;) 

So your argument is that the Queen could abdicate from Scotland but not the rest ;)

• Like 1

People never really get over the loss of their loved ones, it just gets repressed, and their grief only resurfaces when they are reminded of it.

People lose a lot of loved-ones in a lifetime.

So every new loss reminds them of every old loss, and on occasions when they are bombarded with lacrimose and mawkish sentiments, their old feelings of personal loss emerge.

I was talking to an old lady in a queue at the Co-op (as you do) and she told me that she was wiping her eyes all day, yesterday.

She mentioned holding the hand of her dying husband.

I am sure that the soldiers who march beside the catafalque, will be told that they may weep if they feel the need to, but not to blow their nose.

• Like 2

Honestly, I can't get my head around it. Let's all go to Buckingham Palace, spend £20 on some flowers & stand in the rain crying about a woman we never met but had a life far easier and privileged than any of us can begin to imagine.

Humans are weird. 

I remember when Diana died. I was in Majorca (or maybe it was Minorca) on a family holiday. Sat in a some British bar, a passing middle aged English woman was walking past and I saw her ask a fellow patron what was going on. The guy literally just says “Diana’s died in a car crash.”

It was the fastest I’ve seen somehow start crying, her handkerchief seemingly appearing like it was a magician’s trick. It was like he told her it was one of her family members. And this bloke clearly not expecting that response, sitting there awkwardly.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â