The Royal Family

Genie

7 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Genuine questions from an outsider, for those who do not like the monarchy. Why do y’all want to rid yourselves of the monarchy? What are the positives of changing to a republic that you don’t get with a monarchy? What is wrong with the monarchy staying intact since it is mostly a ceremonial post at this point?

If it's mostly ceremonial (I'd contend that it very much is not) then we should run a lottery every four or five years and give the post of head of state/monarch (and the power, privilege and wealth that comes with it) to whoever randomly wins.

Btw, I think we should do this anyway just to reinforce the idea of how big of a part luck plays in life outcomes.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I read something yesterday about the cost of replacing bank notes , stamps etc  ..it ran into tens of Billions

This is why you should only put famous already dead people on them and hope nothing Savile-ish turns up. Anybody got any juicy insights on Greta Garbo, Ingmar Bergman and Astrid Lindgren?

edit: Come to think of it, some of Evert Taubes lyrics are......yucky

Edited by Tegis

It seems inevitable that football will be off this weekend.

Horse racing was halted on Thursday following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, while Friday's play in cricket's Test match between England and South Africa was called off.

All Friday's race meetings in Britain have also been cancelled, along with the same day's Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy cricket fixtures.

The second day of the PGA Championship golf on Friday will not take place.

The English Football League has also postponed its two games on Friday.

A decision on weekend Premier League and EFL fixtures will be made after a review of the official mourning guidance, plus consultation with other sports and the Department for Culture Media and Sport.

BBC

54 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I get the view. In my opinion, the royal family is nothing more than a ceremonial show at this moment.

They have no influence whatsoever. It's all a show. I much more worry about Liz (the Downing street one) has to do with the country. The real influence comes from international corporations influencing law and lobbying the MPs to gain power and favourable legislation. 

Let them swing their swords around and wear 1850's uniforms. Who cares. It's a symbol of sorts in my opinion. Yeah, it costs money. But they bring in a lot via tourism. Either way, it's a drop in the ocean compared what the Tories are wasting. 

So I guess if anyone wants to 'change the system' they should look at No10 rather than Buckingham. 

I also worry more about no. 10. But they are both part of a broken political system - needs a written constitution and root and branch change. 

But if they  really had no influence, why would Gulf royals bother bunging Brian big bags of cash (got carried away with alliteration there). I don't really buy the tourism argument as a good one. It's too close to saying we don't  have much else to offer (and that's  kind of my point about them holding the country  back)

Plus, they are massive landowners. Quite  a big influence,  even if not overtly  political 

Edited by one_ian_taylor
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Should’ve cancelled the football yesterday if they were going to. Too late now.

Cue announcement in 5, 4, ….

"A decision on weekend Premier League and EFL fixtures will be made after a review of the official mourning guidance, plus consultation with other sports and the Department for Culture Media and Sport"

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62840622)

KEEP THEM, KEEEEEEP THEM!

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

"A decision on weekend Premier League and EFL fixtures will be made after a review of the official mourning guidance, plus consultation with other sports and the Department for Culture Media and Sport"

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62840622)

KEEP THEM, KEEEEEEP THEM!

Non-league seems to be going ahead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I read something yesterday about the cost of replacing bank notes , stamps etc  ..it ran into tens of Billions  .. thankfully post boxes apparently don't get automatically changed  otherwise it would be even higher , but any new ones will have a new insignia on them 

Charles first act as King could be to say , times are tough lets leave mummy on the notes / stamps for now .. 

Yeh it's absolutely insane. People can't afford to heat their homes but let's spend 1bn on changing the currency so it has a different face on it, we only just got these new plastic ones too. Just put pictures of cats and dogs on them so we don't have to change them again.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â