The Royal Family

Genie

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I read something yesterday about the cost of replacing bank notes , stamps etc  ..it ran into tens of Billions  .. thankfully post boxes apparently don't get automatically changed  otherwise it would be even higher , but any new ones will have a new insignia on them 

Charles first act as King could be to say , times are tough lets leave mummy on the notes / stamps for now .. 

Isn't the precedent for notes and coins to leave the old ones in circulation and replace them as and when needed?

• Like 1

It is all going to be scaled back.  Don't want to sound too morbid but when Charles goes I would suspect it would be a toned down affair. Probably due to his own wishes and the fact that this is the big one, given the length of time from the last state funeral (Churchill in 1965). And I have no idea what the monarchy will be like under William, the whole thing could just fade away. I get the feeling that if it was decided that the monarchy was to be abolished Wills would be secretly quite relieved. 1952 is so long ago,, it was a much more traditional god fearing type society.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Just now, bickster said:

I have a solution

Hide contents

Join the Euro :D 

On a semi serious note this coming week would be perfect for some major news that some people would usually get in a flap about (like joining a customs union or other pact with Europe).

We’ll probably go the other way though and quietly remove some human rights or environmental legislation.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

That crossed my mind too. All the cost and inconvenience of replacing the Queen will likely be needed again in a relatively short period of time.

I would assume possible designs for money must have been done a while back. New money is being made all the time, so it would just be a case of printing a new image. 

I guess we will see Charles on a banknote in the next year or 2. 

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Interesting one this.

I give Charles 10 years max. Can we really afford such a huge expense twice?

yeah that was my first thought when i read the article  ... wonder if anyone will put it to Charles  ? 

I'll have to google it , but wondered if it is  a legal thing or more of an ego thing ?

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is all going to be scaled back.  Don't want to sound too morbid but when Charles goes I would suspect it would be a toned down affair. Probably due to his own wishes and the fact that this is the big one, given the length of time from the last state funeral (Churchill in 1965). And I have no idea what the monarchy will be like under William, the whole thing could just fade away. I get the feeling that if it was decided that the monarchy was to be abolished Wills would be secretly quite relieved. 1952 is so long ago,, it was a much more traditional god fearing type society.

Royal Aston Villa coming our way when Wills gets the crown and several big eared cups I would hope 

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Stressful times. I had already booked Monday the 19th September off as annual leave. Going to spend the next few days hovering over the HR portal getting ready to click "cancel".  Lord, give me strength. 

Thank you for your sacrifice at such a difficult time x

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Isn't the precedent for notes and coins to leave the old ones in circulation and replace them as and when needed?

dunno tbh , I've not had one die in my lifetime before  , but yeah that would seem logical  , guess the cost of replacing in that regard would be just like any other cost when we take old notes out of circulation  .. has implications across Canada, Oz etc as well presumably , wonder if this will be the point they decide to change to something different ?

Reading up on it , it seems the Queen was the first Royal to be on the banknotes  , guess they aren't obligated to put Charles on them 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

On a semi serious note this coming week would be perfect for some major news that some people would usually get in a flap about (like joining a customs union or other pact with Europe).

We’ll probably go the other way though and quietly remove some human rights or environmental legislation.

said something similar to the Boy this morning as i was dropping him off at the station ...one night on this thread with Bicks and Brumerican and I've become a conspiracy theorist :D  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah. I'm with you, I followed it closely yesterday, but now she's gone, bit bored of it, will be doing my best to ignore it until the funeral

Good luck on that, I turned on Talk Sport hoping to listen to Trevor Sinclair being kicked to the curb but all I have got is that posh fella who is one of us and that mucky female jockey who did a video of her fiddling with herself  (worth a look by the way) and that weazel Carson talking about bloody horse racing and the Queens involvement etc

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

dunno tbh , I've not had one die in my lifetime before  , but yeah that would seem logical  , guess the cost of replacing in that regard would be just like any other cost when we take old notes out of circulation  .. has implications across Canada, Oz etc as well presumably , wonder if this will be the point they decide to change to something different ?

Reading up on it , it seems the Queen was the first Royal to be on the banknotes  , guess they aren't obligated to put Charles on them 

I think notes get changed, coins will just naturally change over time. I think Shillings were legal tender for years after decimalisation for example.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â