Tom13

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

so there only a 3% chance of all Villa players making it.

Louie Barry got a great chance

if he develops right over the next 2-3 seasons to be in that 3%.

No point writing him off now

what the fuck GIF

Clearly got bags of talent and a long time yet to develop. At present it looks as though he hasn't got as good of a chance of making it here as some of our others, but he may be a bit of a late bloomer physically and others have said, Archer's trajectory this year shows that you can never know what's going to happen.

I reckon he'll make a career out of football, but wouldn't be surprised if things turn out a bit like O'Hare and he ends up a very good championship player. Hope he proves me wrong and plays his whole career at Villa in the top flight though!

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats barry shown at 18 so far to suggest he is better?

13 goals in 17 games at U23 PL level last season (Age 17).  Only Liam Delap got a better MPG record.
FA Youth Cup Winner
Played for England at all youth levels of his age groups. 
Already on loan

Edited by messi11
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

13 goals in 17 games at U23 PL level last season (Age 17).  Only Liam Delap got a better MPG record.
FA Youth Cup Winner
Played for England at all youth levels of his age groups. 
Already on loan

Yeah but we have had various youngsters who did excellently in the youth leagues but then when it comes to proper league football they struggle.

Barry it failed miserably for him at Ipswich.  If he struggles at swindon it would be worrying signs for him. 

Archer was what 19 when he debuted for us? Look at him scoring scoring in a tough league like the championship at 20. For me there is no comparison when you compare  the two regardless of the 2 year age gap right now.

27 minutes ago, messi11 said:

People like @Delphinho123 and @Spoonywriting him off already at 18 years of age and 70 mins of football at Swindon, probz the same people who thought a 19 year old Cameron Archer was never going to make it when he was struggling last season at Solihull Moors FC.

Only 3% of youth players in the history of the PL have made it (Got PL minutes). so there only a 3% chance of all Villa players making it. Louie Barry got a great chance if he develops right over the next 2-3 seasons to be in that 3%.No point writing him off now

I’m not writing him off. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don’t rate him as highly others on here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not writing him off. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don’t rate him as highly others on here. 

When you state that "he will never be a premier league player" what do you mean then. That looks like writing someone off to me. 

5 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

When you state that "he will never be a premier league player" what do you mean then. That looks like writing someone off to me. 

Yeh, I kind of agree. I probably was. I stand by my opinion though. He’ll obviously go on to be a footballer but I don’t think he’ll be a PL player. 

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but we have had various youngsters who did excellently in the youth leagues but then when it comes to proper league football they struggle.

Barry it failed miserably for him at Ipswich.  If he struggles at swindon it would be worrying signs for him. 

Archer was what 19 when he debuted for us? Look at him scoring scoring in a tough league like the championship at 20. For me there is no comparison when you compare  the two regardless of the 2 year age gap right now.

Isn't the point though that you're not comparing them at the same stage of their development ?

Archer had a relatively fruitless loan last year at a much lower level. Barry is 2 years younger than Archer, and has first team experience at a higher level than Archer at a younger age.

It's crazy to write him off now.

• Like 2

The goal vs Liverpool was the best and worst thing that happened to him. Automatically entered the conversation for first team football from our fanbase and silly expectations began. He’s still built like a kid, and he is a kid he’s only 18. Let him develop. No one at the clubs going to be worried about that loan spell at Ipswich from a performance point of view, it was a bad move. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ipswich were an absolute shitshow who had bought loads of players in the same position and had an under pressure manager who wasn't confident enough to rely on an 18yo to pull him out of the shit. It was a bad loan, but it's bizarre to write him off based on that.

Archer scored 4 goals in 26 games last season in the National League while Barry scored 13 in 17 in the U23s. Yes, Archer is playing better and looking the better prospect right now, but writing Barry off this early despite him having shown obvious glimpses is really strange.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dukes said:

Isn't the point though that you're not comparing them at the same stage of their development ?

Archer had a relatively fruitless loan last year at a much lower level. Barry is 2 years younger than Archer, and has first team experience at a higher level than Archer at a younger age.

It's crazy to write him off now.

Not writing  him off completely but regardless of age archer is miles ahead of him. If barry wants to make it at villa he has to exceed archer to be ahead of him so massive improvements are gojng to be needed in next few years

Thats all my point is stating

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not writing  him off completely but regardless of age archer is miles ahead of him. If barry wants to make it at villa he has to exceed archer to be ahead of him so massive improvements are gojng to be needed in next few years

Thats all my point is stating

You can't just say "regardless of age" though when you're talking about a youth player. When Archer was 18 he wasn't even on the radar.

Barry will have to improve, obviously, as will every single young player on the books if they want to make it, but Archer is a perfect example that development and improvement are not linear.

It's hard to overstate how bad a place to go out on loan Ipswich was. New owners with lots of pressure on a bad (now sacked) manager, an enormous turnover of players and very poor performances. This wasn't a nice established team where Louie could slot in to an open spot and work in a system to develop. 

• Like 2

This time 12 months ago, Archer was a forgotten man. Most of us assumed his time had passed and he'd be on his way out of the club. Look at him now

Jacob Ramsey was written off as poor and 'dogshit' after the first game of the season by a few posters. Look at him now.

Thats not to say Barry will be like Grealish but he still has years of development ahead of him. Perhaps don't write him off just yet though? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He'll obviously have to kick on at some point but he's still got plenty of time to do it.

He's a completely different player to Archer from what I've seen of both of them so I won't be comparing them. As I mentioned in the Archer thread, he'll fit the PNE system and style really well and Lowe is an excellent manager. KHH didn't fit the Swindon team really well but he was just so good it didn't really matter. Early doors for Barry, have to see how he does over the rest of this season and the next 2/3 years 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â