Tom13

16 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Age doesn't have owt to do with it does it? If they are ready they are ready and those two lads Chuk and Barry (sounds like I'm talking about the chuckle brothers) seem like they're about ready to make the jump up.

Sometimes our fans or we as a club have been more than well known for holding these lads back more than what other teams would, that's been the case for decades for us. I hope Smith uses them next season, sure if it's to gradually introduce them then I'll still be happy but to not at all would be a mistake now. Even if here and there these lads are to be used as rotation, it gives them game time and it gives first teamers a breather which they sorely could of done with this long season.

Whether we like it or not Smith has to start using youth abit more like the bigger teams do and refresh players anyhow, you just big your games wisely but hey at least your first team will be replenished by doing it. I have a feeling that we may not of dropped as many points if we had of smartly used youths it more but that's just me.

I absolutely trust all the people involved to make the right decisions with these lads. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Barry rapid development with Ollie, Davis and Wesley fit means we wont be signing a new striker

I disagree. I think we 100% buy one. Davis isn't good enough and Wes still has big question marks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

All players get there own at being pushed off the ball, it happens but it's not an excuse or reason on here to keep saying someone shouldn't be put in a first team.

Foden is lightweight.

Greenwood when first arriving at the scene was very lightweight.

Not an excuse imo for not giving him minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I'm not worried about his physical side, the lad let rip on a massive Liverpool defender who were way bigger than him and he still couldn't do owt to Barry.

Barry will be fine and he will use his technical skills to keep opponents that are bigger away from him.

Agree with all this but that whole team vs Liverpool were cramping up after an hour. The physical side is also just whether they can cope with the demands of 90 mins at pace against the machines that make up a PL team. I’d like to see him get minutes next season but I think that’s the physical part they will be working on ahead of him getting full games, which I would guess is a 2022/23 season thing.

• Like 1

Size and strength has nothing to do with it. He has scored tons of goals but unlike the other lads I think he is a very raw footballer at the minute. 100mph and off the cuff and just out and out running at people and just attack minded.

He has bags of ability but the package isn't there yet is what I imagine the set up sees.

We can't get away with that as a team at the minute.

Hard to say now, we might give a couple of debuts and get them buzzing or we might wrap them in cotton wool for the final

If he got injured in a 5 minute cameo in a dead rubber... You can imagine the response on here 

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. I think we 100% buy one. Davis isn't good enough and Wes still has big question marks. 

I could see a wide attacker who could play some time at striker but I can't see us buying a full time forward. 

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Just think it’s weird that Smith who plays one of the youngest squads in the league, starts a 22 year old at DM, gives regular game time to a 19 year old... is being criticised for not throwing our under 18s into the team quickly enough.

What difference does it make if we take another year to let Barry develop? Phil Foden only made 5 PL apps before he was 18, and made another 13 before he turned 19.

Think what Smith is doing is very similar to what the best managers do in terms of easing players into first team football.

I think the youngest player in the cup final is Luke Thomas, who’s 19? 

Edit: and strength matters still for a striker. You’re up against big centre backs, trying to roll them, win headers, receive ball with back to goal, etc. Don’t need to be a unit like Big Wes, but players like Watkins are strong for their size. Even a player like Vardy is pretty powerful if you watch him to shoulder to shoulder. Barry just doesn’t have that yet (he will one day no doubt).

Serious lack of patience with some of our fanbase.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Serious lack of patience with some of our fanbase.

Hardly a lack of patience with wanting to see some of the youth get 5/10 minutes in the last few games where there's no pressure on to give them a bit of a taste before letting them continue their development next season as the management see fit.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Hardly a lack of patience with wanting to see some of the youth get 5/10 minutes in the last few games where there's no pressure on to give them a bit of a taste before letting them continue their development next season as the management see fit.

We've had fans calling for them to be playing the last few months. I'm sure one guy said he'd seriously question Smith if Elmo played over Kessler. 

I'd like to see them play, but more than happy to let the club make the decision they think is best. They've done a good job of developing them so far. 

The club have also clearly stated that the priority for these kids is winning the FA youth Cup, they're around the first team and on the bench for experience and focusing on that competition.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Just think it’s weird that Smith who plays one of the youngest squads in the league, starts a 22 year old at DM, gives regular game time to a 19 year old... is being criticised for not throwing our under 18s into the team quickly enough.

What difference does it make if we take another year to let Barry develop? Phil Foden only made 5 PL apps before he was 18, and made another 13 before he turned 19.

Think what Smith is doing is very similar to what the best managers do in terms of easing players into first team football.

Edit: and strength matters still for a striker. You’re up against big centre backs, trying to roll them, win headers, receive ball with back to goal, etc. Don’t need to be a unit like Big Wes, but players like Watkins are strong for their size. Even a player like Vardy is pretty powerful if you watch him to shoulder to shoulder. Barry just doesn’t have that yet (he will one day no doubt).

Just using Ian rush as an example here that he were 5ft 9inch and weighed in at 79kg which is around 12 stone 4 pounds. Now you can imagine the build of the guy and how slim he were and some of you will remember him visually. He also banged in over 300 goals in his career. 

It doesn't matter with some of these players,if a player doesn't have the strength they find way around it because that's what a natural gifted player can do.

Technically gifted youngsters especially one like Barry will getby his opponents and he will learn to do it better and better overtime. If Barry is ready which to be fair he makes everything look to easy where he's playing right not then he needs moving on up for his next challenge. You can't keep someone playing the same if what they are playing poses no challenge to that player.

I can understand some of the gift wrap fan section wanting to be cautious, but there is also being to cautious. As I said numerous times us playing these games to win served no purpose for the remainder of the season, instead we could of used this time to let players like Barry and Chuk have abit of time and see if they can pull it off. If that had of worked then great we wouldn't of had to spend in those areas. We could also as another option give them some minutes next season and have them as subs, god know Smith has to learn to rotate better so we don't end up in a situation like we've got now in dead players.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a couple of the lads breaking through and reward them for it. Some say Smith's not doing it because they are not ready, there is also the other side that sometimes managers don't always see it when they should do, managers are only human after all. We've made mistakes before not playing Youth and bringing them through in time to the point alot of youth were let go like a purge.

I think there are cases for both sides of the fence here, I can totally understand those that want them playingnext season, while I can also understand you cant just throw them into the first team. There has to be a middle ground on this but if we have some exits from existing players in and around the fringe squad or even on the bench, then we should at least have Barry and Chuk take up residents on the bench.

I can see this now being talked about alot between now and next season and it should. Barry and Chuk need better football now and to get that they need to hit a new level

46 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think you are spot on.....but I think, Barry will be a special player for us in time.

all things being equal.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 10:06, Dave-R said:

Doesn't need a loan, needs some first team game time he can make the step up easy. When you have a kid scoring against the champions the way he did, you know you have something special and special players need to flourish and be set free not held back in any way whatsoever.

I'm not sure the Liverpool game is a great comparison - I'm sure they were told not to be too physical with our kids. Play him in a real game and he'll have grown men trying to kick lumps out of him. Doubt he'll find it quite so easy to make an impact then.

I hope I'm wrong and he makes a massive impact age 17 (?). But if he proves totally ineffectual in two or three games, it might do his confidence and development more harm than good.

Ultimately there are people more qualified to judge these things than we are, and I think we'll need to assume they know what they're doing.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think you are spot on.....but I think, Barry will be a special player for us in time.

all things being equal.

I agree, he looks like a very special talent. Completely understand why people want to see more of him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I agree, he looks like a very special talent. Completely understand why people want to see more of him.

Funnily enough, I see something in the lad Brad Young.

whether, he keeps developing is anyones guess.....but if he does,  I fancy him to be a dark horse.

Â