Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Pork is shit . Only pork I have nowadays really are sausages and not the cheap crap ones. 

Again different country, in Germany I can get some incredible pork, bbq season is all about schwenksteaks, sundays are for rollbraten and schnitzel

But we can't get good beef or lamb and even then its horrifically priced

You'll find pork steak here that'll make you forget beef

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Again different country, in Germany I can get some incredible pork, bbq season is all about schwenksteaks, sundays are for rollbraten and schnitzel

But we can't get good beef or lamb and even then its horrifically priced

You'll find pork steak here that'll make you forget beef

I used to eat it a lot but I just find it off putting now when I eat it.  A lot of pork meat in the uk is pumped full of nitrates which are not good. 

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

My dad is 70 and said as a kid people wouldn't even bother with wings, now they are some sort of delicacy

You can thank the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY for changing that.  I went to college an hour away in Rochester in the late '70's and early '80's and wings were already big then.  They're a great late night snack with beer and it's an easy thing to split among friends at a pub.

19 hours ago, il_serpente said:

You can thank the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY for changing that.  I went to college an hour away in Rochester in the late '70's and early '80's and wings were already big then.  They're a great late night snack with beer and it's an easy thing to split among friends at a pub.

Are you saying that they really took off?

• Haha 1

On 25/09/2023 at 14:31, tomav84 said:

in the US you get boneless wings (just nicer chicken nuggets basically). plenty of buffalo and blue cheese sauce and there aren't many better snacks IMO

That reminds me. I inadvertently did a hot wings challenge in the USA before (I ordered it as my regular meal). It's only afterwards I realised I could have won a t-shirt and had my time put on a wall.  So I went back and did it again the next day :)

• Like 1

On the subject of chicken... and get your KW ready.

Thighs are shit. Wings are shit. Legs are ok. Breast is  best. 

"Oooh there's more flavour in thigh meat" 

Yeah, **** shit flavour. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah, **** shit flavour. 

I used to like you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah, **** shit flavour. 

breast for a roast or when you have KFC

thigh is better for things like a curry

2 hours ago, BOF said:

That reminds me. I inadvertently did a hot wings challenge in the USA before (I ordered it as my regular meal). It's only afterwards I realised I could have won a t-shirt and had my time put on a wall.  So I went back and did it again the next day :)

i always used to watch those man v food challenges and think the hot wings challenges looked a piece of piss until i tried some really hot wings in the US and immediately took it back. once that sauce gets around your mouth eating just becomes impossible

and i like my spicy food

I had a couple of unpopular opinions. One was about the transatlantic slave trade and reparations, and one was about chicken thighs and wings. I went with the latter. I'm glad I did.

I'll save the former for another day. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

I had a couple of unpopular opinions. One was about the transatlantic slave trade and reparations, and one was about chicken thighs and wings. I went with the latter. I'm glad I did.

I'll save the former for another day. 

You are mistaking a thread called Unpopular Opinions for one entitled Xelas **** ridiculous notions

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The average German eats 64lbs of pork per year, or 1.25lbs per week.

Yeha I'm not shocked by that at all, my father in law probably just does that in processed meats for breakfast and abend essen - night meal, they do the traditional bread with cheese and meat for breakfast, a cooked meal for dinner, bread with cheese and meat for tea and then there's at least two days a week where they can't be bothered to cook so they have bread with cheese and meat for dinner too, it's absolute madness

And after all that their bacon is still **** garbage

Edit - in 5 years of being with my missus, including living with my in laws for 3 months, I've never seen my parents in law cook chicken

Edited by villa4europe

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeha I'm not shocked by that at all, my father in law probably just does that in processed meats for breakfast and abend essen - night meal, they do the traditional bread with cheese and meat for breakfast, a cooked meal for dinner, bread with cheese and meat for tea and then there's at least two days a week where they can't be bothered to cook so they have bread with cheese and meat for dinner too, it's absolute madness

As for breakfast I remember they usually had some brilliant gadgets for boiling eggs, which I've never seen this side of the channel.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Edit - in 5 years of being with my missus, including living with my in laws for 3 months, I've never seen my parents in law cook chicken

I worked in Germany straight out of Uni and the food was just appalling (late 90's.)

Meat, gravy, meat, maybe a potato covered in gravy with meat and white bread on a side plate. Nothing green within sight. 

What was amazing was that everywhere you went there were the toilets that had shelves in them so you could examine your stool. I think people only sh*t once a month so were probably fascinated by it.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I worked in Germany straight out of Uni and the food was just appalling (late 90's.)

Meat, gravy, meat, maybe a potato covered in gravy with meat and white bread on a side plate. Nothing green within sight. 

What was amazing was that everywhere you went there were the toilets that had shelves in them so you could examine your stool. I think people only sh*t once a month so were probably fascinated by it.

Just wondering, was it east Germany?

Poland had similar toilets in the 90s,maybe it's an eastern block thing. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â