Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

54 minutes ago, bickster said:
1 hour ago, Risso said:

The Sopranos is rubbish.

I've tried to watch it a few times, it never really managed to retain my attention 

Yeah, I've tried watching it twice now. I got half way through season 2 but it just became a chore that I stopped clicking on. It was an agreement with a mate. I'll watch Sopranos and he watches BCS. I don't think either of us succeeded.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think the unpopular opinion would be that it isn’t.

(and I hold the unpopular opinion :D)

The only thing I enjoyed less and turned off faster than the Office was the USA version. 

• Haha 1

I know people loved it. It does seem quite divisive, although I guess most things are, especially in this day and age. But it's surprising that people think it better than Fawlty Towers for example. Or Only Fools. Those 2 would be on the sitcom Mount Rushmore for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Did you watch it at the time or years later? I find it incredibly tedious as well, having only come to it decades later. Can't deny its influence though and it suffers from so many shows having been influenced by it and improving on it over the years.

Later but I couldn't get into it, maybe it's a cult following type of show. 

9 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Have you ever seen the follow up Going Straight? Actually really good, underated. 

Yep, good but doesn't reach the highs of the original

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yes, incredibly bleugh and I bloody hate the score on it.

I tried watching it and like almost all US comedies I hated the laughter track.  Curb Your Enthusiasm is so much more enjoyable.

The IT Crowd is the best sitcom ever though and that has audience laughter in it but it seems a bit less forced.

• Like 1

The other day I was listening to a podcast that was talking about Porridge.

They made an American remake of it “On the Rocks” in 1975. It was written by Clement & La Frenais, kinda in the middle of the original run.

I know that they’ve remade loads of shows, but this one passed me by. I think it’s slightly unusual in that the original writers seemingly retained writing responsibilities rather than it going to a new team.

Didn’t do well, but apparently some of the material they put in the US version they reused for the third series of the original version.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

The Office (UK) is the best sitcom of all time. 

That should not be an unpopular opinion

3 hours ago, Risso said:

The Sopranos is rubbish.

But this definitely should

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I know people loved it. It does seem quite divisive, although I guess most things are, especially in this day and age. But it's surprising that people think it better than Fawlty Towers for example. Or Only Fools. Those 2 would be on the sitcom Mount Rushmore for me.

Only Fools is utter dogshit compared to the Office to be quite honest

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 2

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The IT Crowd is the best sitcom ever though

I don't agree. However Series 2 Episode 1 is definitely on the list for funniest sitcom episodes ever. It's brilliant

• Like 1

i need to watch the sopranos again with the wife to see how its aged, i started watching during season 3 after reading in a newspaper that that nights episode might be the greatest piece of TV ever, it was pine barrens...

paired with the obvious hype it might be easy to forget that it was a huge turning point in tv, for me it was the birth of the big production american tv drama, arguably the start of TV overtaking cinema, almost definitely the start of us all knowing HBO, before the sopranos it was ER and the x files so because it was also the first it holds a special place for me

and FWIW ive watched BB season 2 3 times now and still cant get past it, does absolutely nothing for me, its definitely the biggest tv series i just dont get

• Like 1

I can see how if you approach the Sopranos, The Wire, or BB now, years after the hype and go in expecting one of the all time great shows you'll have had expectations built up so high that they start to fall flat, but they're all absolutely brilliant.

• Like 2

I think I've watched The Sopranos around 5 times now and not only is it easily one of the best shows ever, it improves on every single watch.

It's absolutely superb.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â